PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent - Sublite

Slo-go'en
12-06-2012, 16:00
I like the looks of the Sublite tent by Traptent. The long, skinny "A frame" style is a design which I've been looking for and the price is right.

The SMD Luna solo which I've been using for the last 5 years has served me well, but it takes a fairly large cleared area to pitch properly and the sides tend to droop when they get wet. Then the foot of my bag touches the wall and wicks water. The Sublite is more stream lined and only uses short guys in the front and back.

The only concern I have with the Sublite is the specs say it isn't good in heavy or prolong rain. I'm wondering if anyone here has used this tent in a T-storm or all night rain and how it faired? I suppose adding a tarp to cover it wouldn't be deal breaker, but rather not have too....

Franco
12-06-2012, 16:23
Slo-go-enThere is a Sublite Sil for sale at BPL (under closet cleaning, gear swap first page)

The Notch is the replacement for that but the footprint is about the same as the Lunar Solo.
The Rainbow is heavier but has a smaller footprint and more usable space inside than the above.

I have a Sublite Tyvek.
Works very well when it is really hot or in damp conditions (breathes very well and offers great shade...) but it will not take solid prolonged rain.
I have had several hours of gentle to medium rain on it and that was fine but again not for storms.

Slo-go'en
12-07-2012, 13:28
Thanks Franco. I may risk it anyway and hope I don't have to weather too many thunder storms in it.

V Eight
12-07-2012, 13:57
I have a sublite-sil that I like very much. It's got around 200 nights on it and has
weathered many rainy nights. From your post above the condensation issue that one gets
with most "tarp" tents regardless of brand should not be a problem. I had a significant learning
curve, but i finely got a handle on it. Like all tents of this type, site selection is very important.

It's funny that you say a tarp would not be a deal breaker. I have been thinking about getting
a tarp for a different reason. As easy as this tent is to set up and take down, I can not do either
in the rain without the inside getting wet and sometimes if it is rain hard it can take me better than
a half an hour with a cut down shamwow before I'm ready to set up housekeeping.
For me it is worst taking it down. With all that said I would
not trade it for anything currently on the market.