PDA

View Full Version : Long distance race in Iceland next year. Need advice

tucker0104
12-06-2012, 17:36
I signed up for a long distance hike in iceland next year with racetheplanet.com. I am going to be going 25 miles a day for 6 days and then 6 miles on the 7th day. I am planning on running just a little bit and walking the rest. I have done plenty of hiking but I think I have only done 1 or 2 25 mile days in my life. I have never had to worry about maximum calories for food weight and getting the abosulte lightest pack possible. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as food or anything else? Thanks.

Malto
12-06-2012, 19:31
That distance per day isn't far enough to stress much on the type of food. If it were me, I would see if you you can tolerate maltodextrin. If so that would be half of my hiking food with alternating hours being other high carb foods. At day end you will need both carbs to replenish your glycogen and protein to help recovery. Google hammer nutrition and read through their knowledge base. There is some great info, mixed in with some marketing hype. This will get you 90% of the way there.

fiddlehead
12-06-2012, 23:19
Walk the uphills, swinging your arms helps.
Jog the level and downhills, if you have a decent downhill running technique.
If not, walk the steep downhills. Jog level and slight downhills.
Train now, not later. (if you're a hiker, you know how to do uphills, just train your jogging technique and build up those newer muscles)

Food? Eat what you crave.
Carbs at night.
Protein while training but not necessarily during the race.
Coconut water if you can get it during and after each days racing.
Magnesium pills for cramping at night.
Ginger for upset stomach (during race and afterwards too) I make a ginger tea by boiling fresh ginger sliced up.
Sweet potatoes and red beets is good as well as pasta of course.

This is all stuff that worked for me when I used to do the long races (ultras)
Now, I just do shorter stuff but still remember what I would eat and how to do those steep downhills.

GOod luck.
and more importantly: Have fun!

JJJ
12-06-2012, 23:29
That's interesting , Tucker. I've had this one (http://www.marathon.is/ultramarathon) on in my sights for a while. Going to Iceland has been a life long dream. '14 may be the year :)
You've got some time to experiment. I find the Maltodextrin or any quick sugar/white flour burns good and clean after I get my system cranking. Protein for muscle replacement en route or after just let your gut tell you when. Some times I can't imagine eating a eat a hamburger while I'm running then a couple hours later, still running, I could eat two. Just don't get struck on this is the way it has to be. Pack some variety. Sometimes the body wants something that will burn fast and sometimes it wants to bank the fire.

tucker0104
12-07-2012, 22:24
What is Maltodextrin? Is it something I can eat or just take in a pill form? I am wanting to do about 200 calories an hour while I am hiking. Does that sound like enough?

JJJ
12-09-2012, 16:00
Here is one of my favorites for ultra training (http://www.succeedscaps.com/products/clip2/)

SpottedCow
12-10-2012, 15:26
http://www.ultrunr.com/

That's a great place to start.

Are there aid stations, or are you self supported for the entire 25 miles? Do you have a link to the website?

I try to take in 200-300 calories per hour while I am running an ultra. Try to do long runs/hikes during training to find out what kind of food your body can tolerate. I have an iron stomach and can eat just about anything while running...potatoes, PB&J, hummus wraps, poptarts, chips, cookies, etc. I also use Crank E-gels for calories plus electrolytes. Gingers chews are great for upset stomachs.

tucker0104
12-10-2012, 15:57
There is a water station every 6 miles of the 25 miles a day.

RockDoc
12-13-2012, 01:08
I've been there twice, backpacked for 5 days last trip.
Prepare for the worst weather you've ever seen.