PDA

View Full Version : Pack Size

Cracky
12-06-2012, 19:27
Hi Everyone,

First off, this site is awesome. Thanks everyone.

I am planning a thru-hike starting in early March. I just picked up an LL Bean White Mountain pack. It's pretty big at 4500-5700 ci and heavy at 6lb 6oz. For those with experience, is this overkill, or is it just what you need. I ask because I've been eying the High Sierra Titan 65 at a much lower price. Any suggestions?

hikerboy57
12-06-2012, 19:31
Hi Everyone,

I am planning a thru-hike starting in early March. I just picked up an LL Bean White Mountain pack. It's pretty big at 4500-5700 ci and heavy at 6lb 6oz. For those with experience, is this overkill, or is it just what you need. I ask because I've been eying the High Sierra Titan 65 at a much lower price. Any suggestions?

you might want to search the equipment forums. many have posted their gear lists here and youll get some good ideas. no one pack is right for everyone, but you can get an equivalent size pack at less than half the weight.im a section hiker, use an osprey atmos65(just over 3lbs) and im looking to go smaller and lighter next year.
you need to put together your gear list first before you determine how big of a pack you'll need.
welcome to whiteblaze

Cracky
12-06-2012, 19:34
Great advice. Thanks so much for the quick reply.

hikerboy57
12-06-2012, 19:45
Great advice. Thanks so much for the quick reply.

there is a ton of information on the home page on the left hand side.great stuff there.im comfortable carrying between 25-30 lbs with 4 days food and water, many prefer to go lighter, some like heavier.
how much backpacking have you done?

Cracky
12-06-2012, 19:52
I've hiked in the Whites all my life. this summer I hit all 48 4000 footers as day trips. I have only light experience with overnights, but plenty when I was younger. I'm a college professor and this is my last semester. At 36 years old, I'm going for it. I've wanted to hike the AT for over 20 years now. My problem is, everything seems super lightweight compared to the stuff I was overnighting with back in the 90s.

Thanks for the guidance. I'll poke around tonight. I can still return the pack, but I got it very cheap at an LL Bean outlet store, so I wanted to secure the option. Am I crazy to go for it with this pack?

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/50494?feat=1098-GN2&page=white-mountain-pack

hikerboy57
12-06-2012, 20:01
I've hiked in the Whites all my life. this summer I hit all 48 4000 footers as day trips. I have only light experience with overnights, but plenty when I was younger. I'm a college professor and this is my last semester. At 36 years old, I'm going for it. I've wanted to hike the AT for over 20 years now. My problem is, everything seems super lightweight compared to the stuff I was overnighting with back in the 90s.

Thanks for the guidance. I'll poke around tonight. I can still return the pack, but I got it very cheap at an LL Bean outlet store, so I wanted to secure the option. Am I crazy to go for it with this pack?

awesome. we're planning a party in monson maine august 12th if you get up that way.
the bean is still way too heavy for me to consider. for around $200-250 you can get a pack thats a lot lighter and will still get the job done.if you like the size, check out the rei flash65

bigcranky
12-06-2012, 20:09
The pack is larger and heavier than most long distance hikers use. Not saying it won't work for you, of course. But it's fairly easy to find a 60 liter pack under 3 pounds, and that's all one really needs for an AT thru-hike.

The three things to spend time and money on are your sleeping bag, your pack, and your shoes. Given how much time your body spends in contact with those items on a daily basis, they might as well fit right and be lightweight and comfortable.

Hosaphone
12-06-2012, 20:46

What you saved in money, you will pay for in extra weight.

You want to strike a balance between "hiking comfort" (ie lighter weight = more comfortable hiking) and "creature comfort" (ie heavier weight due to more stuff, luxury items, extra pairs of socks, etc). My baseweight is around 13 pounds and I think that's a good "not too heavy but not too light/minimalist either" weight to shoot for.

My backpack weighs ~2 pounds. The Bean pack weighs ~4 pounds more. That pack alone would increase my baseweight by more than 30%...

In a nutshell, yes, you are crazy! Fortunately there will be many opportunities along the trail to swap out gear if you find something isn't working for you.

Hosaphone
12-06-2012, 20:52
My baseweight is around 13 pounds and I think that's a good "not too heavy but not too light/minimalist either" weight to shoot for.

Of course, the "sweet spot" will be different for everyone. Some people need more "creature comfort" and to them it's worth it to carry the extra weight of, say, a book or a camp chair. Some people need less creature comfort than I do and are able to shave weight by using frameless packs, no-cook meals, ponchotarps to serve as rain gear AND shelter, etc.

But regardless of whether you lean towards "hiking" comfort or "creature" comfort, I feel the Bean bag is not a good choice. Even if you are the type who wants a 20+lb baseweight, you should be able to find a pack that weighs at least 2 pounds less but still can carry the weight comfortably.

Veetack
12-06-2012, 20:59
Hi Everyone,

For me, that pack is GIGANTIC. I currently use a GoLite Quest 50, and I'm considering changing to the Jam 35, because I have a lot of free space. The Quest, for comparison, is 50 liters or just over 3000 ci. and is 3.5 pounds.

As for High Sierra products, IMO they're not worth half of what they cost. I used a Summit 45 for quite a while, and I never realized it until I replace it, but I had huge issues with the pack. The top lid flops, and doesn't adjust down tight enough. The hip belt does not provide for great weight transfer and I found myself carrying the bulk of my load on my shoulders, which in turn caused me quite a bit of shoulder pain. The materials that HS uses, however, are extremely durable, which I'm sure accounts for a lot of the weight.

I tend to be a pretty big advocate for GoLite products, as they provide great quality for the price. The Quest 50 is currently $89.99 and is worlds better than a High Sierra.

Drybones
12-06-2012, 23:57
The lighter the load the more you'll enjoy hiking. It aint fun when it becomes work. I just finished packing up for 5 days on the Foothills Trail and my total pack weight is about 25 pounds, base weight is 17 lbs, that's about as much I want to carry up the mountains. You would not regret going with a lighter pack.

Cracky
12-07-2012, 08:16
Wow! Thanks, everyone! This advice is excellent, especially from people who aren't trying to sell me something. I like the looks of the Quest 50L pack. Is 50L really big enough for such a long trek? I suppose it is, but it takes a little getting used to. I absolutely can't wait until this becomes more about the walking than the gear!

nitewalker
12-07-2012, 08:32
the jam was onsale yesterday at golite...too bad im late to the thread...sorry

Donde
12-07-2012, 09:40
It'll work but you can go lighter, smaller, and maybe cheaper.
+1 To no skimping on pack, sleeping bag, and shoes.

In general philosophical terms SGT Rock said it best " The less I carry the more I like Hiking. The more I carry the more I like camping." SO figure your out your balance point, and go from there.

bigcranky
12-07-2012, 10:23
I like the looks of the Quest 50L pack. Is 50L really big enough for such a long trek? I suppose it is, but it takes a little getting used to.

Yes, if your other gear is also light and low volume. A high quality down sleeping bag, a single wall tarptent or tarp, just the necessary clothing, no big bulky kitchen, etc. If you have traditional gear -- synthetic bag, double wall 2-person tent, big kitchen, tons of clothing -- a 50L pack won't work.

NCMedic
12-07-2012, 10:27
Wow! Thanks, everyone! This advice is excellent, especially from people who aren't trying to sell me something. I like the looks of the Quest 50L pack. Is 50L really big enough for such a long trek? I suppose it is, but it takes a little getting used to. I absolutely can't wait until this becomes more about the walking than the gear!

I carry a smaller pack than a 50L and have more than enough room! 50L will work great on the AT where resupply is generally plentiful.

stlinn
12-07-2012, 10:46
Hi Cracky,
I'm also new to the site and find it extremely useful. I'm a section hiker usually spending 5 - 8 days on the AT. Agree with hikerboy57 that "no one pack is right for everyone". Like hikerboy, I have a Osprey65 and like it's size, weight and simplicity. I can't quantify this, but Osprey might be the most popular pack on the AT. Last year was hiking a portion in New England with 2 north bound thru hikers and all 3 of us had the same pack. This past year hiking thru Georgia and NC ran into 2 southbound thru hikers and 2 section hikers and 4 out of 5 were sporting Osprey packs. Bottom line for me is that I will sacrafice almost anything to go as lite as possible with all my equipment and food. Steve

Cracky
12-07-2012, 11:31
Wow! Everyone, I can't thank you all enough for the input. After reading these threads and after spending way too much time reading other similar posts on this site, I concur the big pack is too much. I will just adjust my thinking. Believe it or not, I have an old LL Bean Mountain Guide pack from a few years ago.

http://www.backpacker.com/gear_guide_2009_ll_bean_mountain_guide_review/gear/12893

I never would have imagined it would be suitable for trekking, but it's 55 liters, has tons of straps and weight about three pounds lighter.

Happy holidays, everyone!

Cheers,

Hosaphone
12-07-2012, 13:08
Wow! Everyone, I can't thank you all enough for the input. After reading these threads and after spending way too much time reading other similar posts on this site, I concur the big pack is too much. I will just adjust my thinking. Believe it or not, I have an old LL Bean Mountain Guide pack from a few years ago.

http://www.backpacker.com/gear_guide_2009_ll_bean_mountain_guide_review/gear/12893

I never would have imagined it would be suitable for trekking, but it's 55 liters, has tons of straps and weight about three pounds lighter.

Happy holidays, everyone!

Cheers,

Could still shave a few pounds off that, but it looks like a big improvement. Your knees will thank you. I'd suggest just going with that pack for now. You can always swap it out on the trail if you want to, once you have a better idea of exactly what your needs are.

jrabbott
01-27-2013, 22:27
The lighter the load the more you'll enjoy hiking. It aint fun when it becomes work. I just finished packing up for 5 days on the Foothills Trail and my total pack weight is about 25 pounds, base weight is 17 lbs, that's about as much I want to carry up the mountains. You would not regret going with a lighter pack.

Did you thru hike the Foothills Trail? Was up there today...gonna do it with 3 kids and wife - not sure we can do whole 71 mi in 7 days???

BirdBrain
01-27-2013, 22:33
awesome. we're planning a party in monson maine august 12th if you get up that way.
the bean is still way too heavy for me to consider. for around $200-250 you can get a pack thats a lot lighter and will still get the job done.if you like the size, check out the rei flash65

Now I understand the August 12th comment in the cafe. Might have to be there. How big a party are we talking about and is it an open to all thing?

oroy38
01-30-2013, 00:44
I know you said you have plenty of day hike experience, as well as overnighters, and a good bit of experience when you were younger. However, as you said, everything seems lighter compared to your equipment from the 90s. For this reason I would recommend that regardless of what pack you go with, you do a lot of short trips to get a feel for what equipment works for you in general, not just packs. If you're going to be stuck with certain equipment for months, you might as well be 100% confident in your choices.

You might find that you're comfortable hauling a little bit of extra weight if it means you have a few luxuries at the end of a long day of hiking. You might find that you're harder on your equipment now than you were before, so you need a pack that can handle a good thrashing. Conversely you might find that you're more careful with your gear now and are willing to sacrifice a little durability to save a few ounces and jump on the ultra lite train, and there's nothing wrong with that either. I know hikers that won't carry an ounce over 25lbs and some that think 35lbs is like walking with feathers on your back. You just have to prioritize, and figure out what you really need. And don't let others try to convince you that ultra lite is the only way. That's not to say ultra lite doesn't have any merit. I've learned and implemented quite a bit of the ultra lite philosophy, but I enjoy the camping part as much as I enjoy the hiking part, and my packing list reflects that to a degree.

My advice is to err on the side of having a little extra space in your pack at first and downsize as necessary. The Osprey Atmos 65 is a solid pack. A good size to start at, and is easy to resell if you decide it's too big, and also a decent price. I would return the LL Bean pack. They make decent equipment for the average outdoorsperson, but they are generally not designed for thru hikers or the weight conscious.

JAK
01-30-2013, 09:52
I bought a pack like that, twice, before I learned they are overkill, and better lighter cheaper packs became available.
I gave my last one away, and he hasn't been using it either. I use a Jam2 now, and there are many good packs like it now, some bigger some smaller some a little heavier and some a little lighter. The 6 pound packs are still popular because they look attractive in a store, and can be sold for more money than lighter more suitable packs, which you will eventually end up with. True story.

oroy38
01-30-2013, 13:46
Something to think about also is whether you want an actual structured frame and suspension in your pack or if you want something like the GoLite Jam series that has a frame in the form of a piece of plastic. Obviously the unstructured Jam is going to offer less support and be uncomfortable with a load of more than 25lbs when compared to an Osprey that has an aluminum frame, structured waist belt, etc but if you're carrying an extremely light load, then a full frame is just dead weight that's not benefiting you.

So much to think about!

Hipcheck
01-31-2013, 01:04
I started with Jam 50, and switched to a 35 in Daleville.. I was still throwing six packs or boxes of cookies in the 35L from time to time.. It really depends on the kind of hiker you are and what you want to carry with you so you're comfortable. To give you a simple idea of my pack needs: my rain gear consisted of a Phillies hat...

Bucho
02-02-2013, 20:09
My larger external frame pack is much lighter than that. These are more the sort of thing thru hikers tend to carry: http://www.ula-equipment.com/circuit.asp http://www.rei.com/product/780219/osprey-exos-46-pack,-ember-orange,-medium?preferredSku=7802190020&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-pla-_-product-_-7802190020&mr:referralID=faef0d0e-6d94-11e2-97b3-001b2166becc I don't know what you need because I don't know what you're planning to put in it but I'd suggest taking that pack back, getting all your other gear together and than seeing what size and weight limit you actually need.

ferdinand the bull
02-07-2013, 23:04
Hi Everyone,

Hey Cracky, that's definitely over kill and you'll end up throwing it away at Neels gap. Check out the used gear forum and brands like ULA, Mountain Laurel Designs, Gossamer Gear. You'll be so glad you did. also 5700 is huge, look more for a pack that at max will carry around the 4000's.

ferdinand the bull
02-07-2013, 23:05
Golite has a sale on Jams right now, the 50 should be great.

vtrek
02-08-2013, 18:20
My first "real" pack was a Gregory palisades. Man that thing could carry weight very comfortably and I usually had 40 lbs with me. I have cut my weight in half and tried several packs since then am now using an Osprey Hornet. I like the Hornet very much but honestly, my palisades carried 40 lbs more comfortably than the other packs I have tried carry 20 lbs. Now, I admit that I have never done the AT so my opinion is probably not that important but my experience tells me that a heavy pack isn't always a bad thing. If I was spending a long time on the trail I would be a lot more worried about comfort than the weight. weight is just a number, comfort is far more important.

slbirdnerd
02-08-2013, 21:18
I saw a lot of packs on clearance in REI's outlet online today. Some great end of model year sales I think. I'm a noob but your pack seems awfully heavy. I got an Osprey Kestrel 58. Recommended load for this pack is 35-50 pounds. Weighs 3/9 or 3/13 depending on size. It's pretty affordable and got the thumbs up form my backpacking brother-in-law.