PDA

View Full Version : Inspiring talk about AT-help

hikergurl
12-06-2012, 22:10
Hi all,

I was asked to give a half hour talk about the AT, hiking, backpacking, etc., to a group of high schoolers (why me?? idk). For those who have finished or who are in the midst of planning...how would you approach speaking about the trail to a group of 15-17 year olds? (mostly girls, and a few guys who are into gaming and computers...)

Anyone who has given such a talk before?

Any tips or advice would be helpful.

snifur
12-06-2012, 22:17
i gave a presentation to 12-14 year olds. they have a lot of questions. i gave a brief description of the trail and what i packed and how long it took and then let them fire off questions. they will ask alot of weird questions. just have a good time. do not make a long speech. keep it short.

Hoop
12-06-2012, 22:52
Display a loaded pack and explain how you use everything; if possible, show them your cookset in action; maybe project some of your fav pictures while talking.

prain4u
12-07-2012, 00:13
Display a loaded pack and explain how you use everything; if possible, show them your cookset in action; maybe project some of your fav pictures while talking.

I have spoken to many groups of teens and pre-teens regarding camping/hiking, military service, emergency response work (among other things). I fully agree with the approach that "Hoop" suggests. Teens seem to like to a "hands on" approach to a presentation and they like to view an appropriate amount of projected pictures (but not so many that it becomes boring). Let them try on the pack--or try some trail food--or see a stove at work or similar things.

I would talk about your own joys, triumphs, struggles and fears regarding your hike. Best moments--worst moments--scariest moment--most gross/disgusting moment (teens seem to pay attention to "gross" things). I would also discuss what you learned" about yourself and life. Discuss your typical day/routine

Rain Man
12-07-2012, 10:52
...how would you approach speaking about the trail to a group of 15-17 year olds? (mostly girls....)

Make sure to include Grandma Gatewood and Jennifer Pharr Davis?

Otherwise, mostly speak from your own experience.

Relax and enjoy! Oh, and be sure to invite questions.

Rain:sunMan

turtle fast
12-07-2012, 12:50
Having visual props are a good thing. You have to remember that one of those kids you talk to may be inspired to thru hike the AT too.

Feral Bill
12-07-2012, 13:03
Make sure to include Grandma Gatewood and Jennifer Pharr Davis?

Yes! And The Barefoot Sisters.

V Eight
12-07-2012, 14:05

I agree with Hoop and the others. Take your gear. I did one of these at church and even the gamers/geeks 13-15years old where blown away by the fancy feast stove.

bigcranky
12-07-2012, 18:33
Right, bring your pack. You can set up camp as part of the demo, or just use it as a visual aid. If you have photos, or a small album, that would be great. Also your maps, guidebook, journal, the NPS strip map of the trail, etc.

mountainman
12-07-2012, 19:34
I have spoken to many groups of teens and pre-teens regarding camping/hiking, military service, emergency response work (among other things). I fully agree with the approach that "Hoop" suggests. Teens seem to like to a "hands on" approach to a presentation and they like to view an appropriate amount of projected pictures (but not so many that it becomes boring). Let them try on the pack--or try some trail food--or see a stove at work or similar things.

I would talk about your own joys, triumphs, struggles and fears regarding your hike. Best moments--worst moments--scariest moment--most gross/disgusting moment (teens seem to pay attention to "gross" things). I would also discuss what you learned" about yourself and life. Discuss your typical day/routine

Great idea. People would rather learn the emotional instead of technical issues.

prain4u
12-07-2012, 20:21
Here is another reason for bringing photos of places and things--and bringing in actual gear---SO THE AUDIENCE WILL KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT! The vast majority of people--especially young people--have almost no clue regarding outdoor things. Assume they know absolutely nothing.

--Have some pictures of privies and shelters.
--Pictures or examples of a bear bag, bear box or bear cables etc.
--Pictures of a hostel or things like trail feeds.
--Don't assume that they know what a tent, sleeping bag, stove or other piece of gear looks like--show them if you are going to talk about it.

--Come up with a creative way to really convey the trail distance to them (either in miles or in time spent walking). Maybe pick a well known town in the area or in your State and use that distance as a comparison. (The distance from X to Y is this many miles. You would have to hike that same distance "Z" number of times to equal the length of the AT). You could note the distance between two well known local towns---and show that same distance on a map of the full AT. Depending upon the type of group-- take them for a quarter mile walk (or remind them of the running track at a local school)--and tell them they would have to walk that same distance roughly X number of times to equal the length of the AT.

You could put it in terms of time amount of that you spent walking the AT: "If you started walking right now--and didn't take any breaks to eat or sleep--you would have to keep walking until 3:00 pm, on January 30th in order to equal the time it took me to walk the AT")

Discuss "Trail Magic"

Mr Breeze
12-07-2012, 22:14
And make sure to tell them that Jennifer Pharr Davis refers to herself as the self proclaimed New " Official World Record Holder" for supposedly completing the whole trail in 46 days, 11 hours, 20 minutes. All while being supported along the way. And make sure to tell them who recognizes the "Official" record, since there is not one that i can find.

hikergurl
12-07-2012, 22:31
Having visual props are a good thing. You have to remember that one of those kids you talk to may be inspired to thru hike the AT too.

gee, thanks, Turtle...no pressure or anything:/

Seriously, though, you guys rock! Thanks for the ideas!

hikergurl
12-07-2012, 22:33
Here is another reason for bringing photos of places and things--and bringing in actual gear---SO THE AUDIENCE WILL KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT! The vast majority of people--especially young people--have almost no clue regarding outdoor things. Assume they know absolutely nothing.

--Have some pictures of privies and shelters.
--Pictures or examples of a bear bag, bear box or bear cables etc.
--Pictures of a hostel or things like trail feeds.
--Don't assume that they know what a tent, sleeping bag, stove or other piece of gear looks like--show them if you are going to talk about it.

--Come up with a creative way to really convey the trail distance to them (either in miles or in time spent walking). Maybe pick a well known town in the area or in your State and use that distance as a comparison. (The distance from X to Y is this many miles. You would have to hike that same distance "Z" number of times to equal the length of the AT). You could note the distance between two well known local towns---and show that same distance on a map of the full AT. Depending upon the type of group-- take them for a quarter mile walk (or remind them of the running track at a local school)--and tell them they would have to walk that same distance roughly X number of times to equal the length of the AT.

You could put it in terms of time amount of that you spent walking the AT: "If you started walking right now--and didn't take any breaks to eat or sleep--you would have to keep walking until 3:00 pm, on January 30th in order to equal the time it took me to walk the AT")

Discuss "Trail Magic"

All good ideas, thanks...now to compile the several hundred photos I have into a meaningful but short slideshow...

hikergurl
12-07-2012, 22:37
And make sure to tell them that Jennifer Pharr Davis refers to herself as the self proclaimed New " Official World Record Holder" for supposedly completing the whole trail in 46 days, 11 hours, 20 minutes. All while being supported along the way. And make sure to tell them who recognizes the "Official" record, since there is not one that i can find.

Well...As I recall, either the ALDHA or ATC does keep track of both supported and un-supported records. I'll be darned if I can remember how to look it up, but I know I've seen it before. Considering most, if not all, the trail completions are done on an honor system...that's as 'official' as anyone can get (-I think, at least).

Blissful
12-07-2012, 22:44
I've spoken many times.

Kids love to see slide show type pictures.
I don't give a "how to" - I just share my adventure with them after a very brief intro of the trail. You only have 30 minutes. I give a few stories - some of the more hair raising type stuff, shelter / tent life, some of the wild terrain like Mahoosuc Notch, and don't forget wildlife encounters. I did bring my backpack and other gear for show and tell later.
30 minutes is really a short time. Esp. if there are questions.
I don't make trail records a big thing. I don't even mention it. No one really cares. This isn't an Olympic activity to them. You want them to be interested enough to go out and try a hike sometime.

hikergurl
12-09-2012, 17:17
The talk went well, thanks all.