PDA

View Full Version : Thawing out your boots.

dhock83
12-06-2012, 22:58
I know everyone has this problem. How do you thaw out ur frozen boots in the morning before putting your feet in them?

Malto
12-06-2012, 23:06
Try sleeping with them either under your feet or in a bag inside your sleeping bag.

clowncsc
12-06-2012, 23:06
My professional fact I can give you if from numerous cold training spots all over the world by way of USMC and that tip of advise is sleep with you r boots off but inside your bag as well as any wet clothing place that between your bag and sleeping mat, body heat with dry it pretty fast.

fiddlehead
12-06-2012, 23:22
Still another reason to wear shoes that are too big.
Kick your way into them in the morning.
Walk to thaw them out.
Takes about 20 minutes.
Enjoy!

SassyWindsor
12-06-2012, 23:32
I know everyone has this problem. How do you thaw out ur frozen boots in the morning before putting your feet in them?

Sorry, everyone does not have this problem. I have a long sleeping bag just to keep boots, socks, etc in the foot. Stuff sack or grocery bag used to put them in.

Hosaphone
12-06-2012, 23:35
For deep winter, consider adding a VBL (newspaper/bread bag, anything that is NOT breathable) to your system. For instance: foot -> liner sock -> VBL -> warm sock -> shoe/boot.

The liner sock will help keep your foot from feeling swampy, and the VBL will stop sweat and perspiration from reaching your boots and insulating sock. If no moisture is reaching your boots, there won't be anything to freeze solid overnight!

Hosaphone
12-06-2012, 23:37
"If no moisture is reaching your boots, there won't be anything to freeze solid overnight!"

In theory, anyways...

T.S.Kobzol
12-06-2012, 23:47
And that is basically the truth of it. It is not an issue. If you have decent wool socks then when you put your boots in the morning you won't feel any issue with frozen boots and after a half an hour the heat from you'd biking body will unthaw your boots.

Still another reason to wear shoes that are too big.
Kick your way into them in the morning.
Walk to thaw them out.
Takes about 20 minutes.
Enjoy!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

LIhikers
12-06-2012, 23:54
It's my experience that either you keep them warm or you make sure to leave them so that you can get your feet into them in the morning.
That's the sage advice I learned during a couple of winter camping trips in northern Minnesota where it was -25 degrees in the morning.

Colter
12-06-2012, 23:55
I agree with the "ounce of prevention" suggestions. I have, nonetheless, ended up with boots frozen like concrete from time to time. On more than one occasion I have put ziplocs in the boots and then carefully poured in hot water and covered up the boot tops.

On a winter summit of Denali, Vern Tejas poured hot water directly into his VB boots (insulation couldn't get wet in them because it's sealed between layers of rubber, hence Vapor Barrier aka VB) then DRANK the boot water after to save fuel.

garlic08
12-07-2012, 09:18
I never allow my footwear to freeze. It's as important to me as keeping my insulation dry, and easier. I carry an extra plastic grocery sack to put the footwear in and sleep with them under my knees outside the bag. They're not warm, but they're not frozen. They usually dry out a little since the bag does not seal. Same with soaked clothing. Under the sleeping pad works for that. Gloves and hat I can wear to bed until they dry out--that's not enough moisture to compromise the insulation.

The hard part is putting the wet stuff back on in the morning and getting out to hike. It's only cold for a few minutes until the body heat kicks in, but that's a hard step to take some days. But it's a lot easier than frozen.

My father used to tell me that you can tell an experienced camper from a rookie--look at the shoes. If they're burnt, you have a rookie. I saw plenty of that on the AT, newbies getting too close to a fire to warm up. One guy's trail name was "Meltdown"--he melted his rain pants.

mrcoffeect
12-07-2012, 09:25
I like to place very warm rocks from my campfire in my boots at bedtime, stuff my socks on top to drive moisture out of them as well.

swjohnsey
12-07-2012, 09:49
Loosen the laces when you take your boots/shoes off so you can get your feet in them in the morning.

Wise Old Owl
12-07-2012, 09:50
all good suggestions - except the old school was missed - got a campfire? pound (2) 16 inch sticks next to the fire and put the boots upside down on them but not so close that a flare up would get them.

TOASTY!

oh I just saw MrCoffeeCT above - excellent!

BrianLe
12-07-2012, 15:11
Ditto fiddlehead; frozen shoes are easier to manage than frozen boots. And ditto swjohnsy; open up the shoes (or boots) to make this easier.
What has worked for me is to put on the shoes as a sort of very last act in the morning before leaving camp, so that the moment the frozen shoes are on my feet I'm up and walking --- generating body heat and increasing blood flow. Certainly uncomfortable, even a bit painful for a while, but it sorts itself out soon enough.

Snowleopard
12-07-2012, 16:17
I agree with the "ounce of prevention" suggestions. I have, nonetheless, ended up with boots frozen like concrete from time to time. On more than one occasion I have put ziplocs in the boots and then carefully poured in hot water and covered up the boot tops.
Or, put boiling water in a water bottle then put the water bottle in the boot. I think nalgenes are more reliable for winter than most soda/gatorade bottles.

On a winter summit of Denali, Vern Tejas poured hot water directly into his VB boots (insulation couldn't get wet in them because it's sealed between layers of rubber, hence Vapor Barrier aka VB) then DRANK the boot water after to save fuel.
Delicious! Doesn't this belong in the cooking forum?

The old style AMC/ADK winter school solution would be Sorel boots using a vapor barrier (bread bag) over a liner sock. Without the vapor barrier those felt liners would get fairly wet in the cold and then freeze. Carrying a spare felt liner was always a good idea.

It's much better to avoid frozen boots by the methods others have mentioned than to have to put frozen boots on in the morning. The colder it is the more important this is. At the -20F that can happen in the north I'm not sure they'd ever thaw by wearing them.

Feral Bill
12-07-2012, 16:44
The old style AMC/ADK winter school solution would be Sorel boots using a vapor barrier (bread bag) over a liner sock. Without the vapor barrier those felt liners would get fairly wet in the cold and then freeze. Carrying a spare felt liner was always a good idea.

When, long ago, I attended ADK/AMC winter school the standard was military Mickey Mouse boots. They are fabulous at keeping feet warm, even if water goes in over the top, they never freeze, and are amazingly heavy and clunky. If severe wet and cold are the priority, they can be had in all sizes on line. I'll be trying an alternative this winter and report back.

10-K
12-07-2012, 19:16
Trail runners.... even in winter.

jeffmeh
12-07-2012, 19:23
Trail runners.... even in winter.

Even in winter in the south? :)

Deadeye
12-07-2012, 19:49
I sleep with my boots in the sleeping bag. I sure as heck ain't gonna drink out of them! If I want to warm them up, I fill nalgene bottles with hot water.

scree
12-07-2012, 20:06

Sure. That's one situation where I'd want my goretex salomons, but it's doable. I did it near ashby gap after the 2010 blizzard for an overnight on snowshoes. Though these days I'd be more likely to wear my RAT boots for something like that.

10-K
12-07-2012, 20:52

Sure thing.. I'm getting ready to hike the Pinhoti Trail starting January 5th.

I'll be wearing my Brooks Adrenaline ASR's, merino wool liners, and mid-weight merino wool socks. I'll have my Rocky Goretex socks in my clothing bag in case I need them.

dornstar
12-07-2012, 21:26
I'm kind of OCD about my boots and shoes in general, so there's not a chance in hell them babies are freezing.

psyculman
12-07-2012, 21:35
Thanks for this idea, it's one I'll use often !!

Seldomseen
12-07-2012, 21:45
VBL socks all the way when it is below freezing. No moisture gets in the boots so you do not have to worry about it or sleep with them. That is unless it has been raining or snowing. I have an extra long winter bag so I sleep with tons of my gear at me feet. I also use a VBL for my bag.