PDA

View Full Version : 10 - 20 degree sleeping bag options

RugerWes
12-07-2012, 10:51
Hey folks!

My first post here is regarding sleeping bags and any experience any of you have with my
'' narrowed down '' list... I currently have an REI Halo 40 bag (which is a sweet bag http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/smilies/smile.png)

I am looking for a sub 20 degree sleeping bag . I want a down model, less than 2.5 lbs. I live in North Carolina so that will cover me year round even at altitude but I am just unsure which to pick. My budget is $400.00-$450.00 ish and I am considering the following ...

1) MontBell U.L. Spiral Down Hugger #1
2) Western Mountaineering UltraLite
3) Marmot Helium
4) ???

any input / experience / comments on these? Any options I have overlooked?

Thanks in advance for any input

Mags
12-07-2012, 10:57
The really light bags (e.g the Western Mountaineering bag) tends to be tapered smaller. Depending if you are a 'big guy' or not, the fit may be tight. Just something to consider that may or may not be a factor for you.

Stink Bug
12-07-2012, 11:01
Hey folks!

My first post here is regarding sleeping bags and any experience any of you have with my
'' narrowed down '' list... I currently have an REI Halo 40 bag (which is a sweet bag http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/smilies/smile.png)

I am looking for a sub 20 degree sleeping bag . I want a down model, less than 2.5 lbs. I live in North Carolina so that will cover me year round even at altitude but I am just unsure which to pick. My budget is $400.00-$450.00 ish and I am considering the following ...

3) Marmot Helium
4) ???

4. Feathered Friends Hummingbird. Comes in 2 flavours and both under $450 / 2lb. The only possible downside, as Mags said, is thay they're not as roomy as, say the MB stretch bags.

colorado_rob
12-07-2012, 11:17
The really light bags (e.g the Western Mountaineering bag) tends to be tapered smaller. Depending if you are a 'big guy' or not, the fit may be tight. Just something to consider that may or may not be a factor for you. Well, the WM Ultralite, a 20 deg, 1#-13oz (advertised weight) bag is indeed tight, the WM Alpinelite, a 20 deg 2#-0oz (actual weight) bag is very roomy. The alpinelite has a full 64" shoulder girth compared to 59" for the ultralite. I own numerous WM bags for various uses, and cannot say enough good things about them. Never owned a Montbell bag, so cannot compare. I really like MB jackets though, never a complaint there. Basically, when buying a bag, make sure you like the fit. Pay attention to the dimension specs when comparing bags. Hugely important for sleeping comfort. I like a roomy bag. The full-cut WM bags are plenty roomy. YMMV.

turtle fast
12-07-2012, 12:18
The Marmot Helium is a fine bag, though I like the Marmot Plasma bag better...fits well and for me has more than enough room.

Hosaphone
12-07-2012, 14:00
The really light bags (e.g the Western Mountaineering bag) tends to be tapered smaller. Depending if you are a 'big guy' or not, the fit may be tight. Just something to consider that may or may not be a factor for you.

Well, the WM Ultralite, a 20 deg, 1#-13oz (advertised weight) bag is indeed tight, the WM Alpinelite, a 20 deg 2#-0oz (actual weight) bag is very roomy. The alpinelite has a full 64" shoulder girth compared to 59" for the ultralite.

This is why I went with the WM Alpinlite over the Ultralite. It's way too big for me from an efficiency point of view, but that will only be an issue if it's COOLLLLLLD.

However, I figure that the extra room gives me more ability to extend the rating of the bag with down jacket/pants which may not have been able to loft fully in the ultralite due to its very tight/efficient fit. I don't have down pants, but if I add a down jacket to my upper body the fit is perfect and the bag becomes much more efficient if I need some extra warmth. The lowest I've taken the Alpinlite is around 15* and I didn't need extra clothing (aside from a balaclava for my face). I may be a warm sleeper, though, not sure.

I've been very happy with my purchase, but I'd recommend trying both bags out for fit if at all possible if you decide to go the WM route.

Matty
12-07-2012, 14:21
I have a Marmot Plasma, 15 degree bag, comes in at 2 lbs, for the tall model. Very comfortable, and roomy. I'm 6'5", and 215 lbs. Love the bag.

daddytwosticks
12-07-2012, 16:46
I have a WM Alpinlite that is just amazing. :)

Franco
12-07-2012, 16:56
Sub 20 degree...I have the Ultralite . To me the 20f rating is about right. It works at that temp with merino top and bottom (190 , so not the thick type) and depending on how I feel and humidity level I may or may not have socks/hat/gloves on. (note :loose socks)

I am at around 155 lbs so I fit inside that comfortably and can still layer up (for colder temps) but as others have stated you don't want a tight bag nor a too loose one .
Using a similar cut (say mummy at a particular girth) the amount of down inside and loft (if known) will give you an idea of how to compare them.
For example the Helium has about 5oz (30%) more down than the WM Ultralite , so it is rated for a lower temp (16f vs 20f)
Both in theory use 850 fill (another figure you need to consider)

BradMT
12-07-2012, 18:53
Hey folks!

3) Marmot Helium
4) ???

Wes, I've been using Western Mountaineering bags for over 20 years. Great stuff. Before that, USA made Marmot Down bags (1980's). Before that, USA made North Face Down (1970's).

One thing I know is the older I get the less tolerant I am of constricting bags.

I'm 5'10"/155lbs, but I've started to find even a 62" girth a bit bothersome and recently sold my WM Versalite for a WM Alpinlite. I've had bags as narrow as the WM Ultralite... no way I find them even remotely comfortable any more.

Personally, I think the Alpinlite is about perfect. And as someone else pointed out, the added girth (64" shoulders) is a benefit for adding a down vest (or whatever) to extend its lower temp rating.

Also, WM bags are pretty conservative rating-wise IME.

Dogwood
12-07-2012, 20:32
Just my 2 cents. When you have a budget of $400-450 for a 20* down bag you are in the deep end of the pool, you are in the higher end of that category of bags. Go into 0*-10* down bags and the price rises in proportion to the added materials and labor. As you are now doing, get really clear as to what's available BEFORE your final decision. All your choices, as well as the suggestions of others, seem solid so far, IMO. I've owned, or do own, most of them except the MB UL Down Spiral Hugger #1. I did have a MB UL Down SH #3 though as well as a #3 MB UL Super Stretch Down bag. You might look at Valandre down bags as well which in my mind are some of the finest UL highest end down bags available. That may require greater funds though. Although, I have NO experience at all with Sea to Summit Down bags you might include them in your considerations too. I don't know if this is a consideration for you but I like that FF and WM and to a lesser extent Valandre lets you customize a bag with different fabrics, overfills, colors, etc and sometimes lets you do some other things to customize a bag.

I'll repeat the good advice of others, think about the specs of each bag in regard to your shoulder, hip, and foot box width requirements. Think about taper. Think about the hood and draft collars. Not all 20* bags are equally sized! Personally, I don't buy shoes or sleeping bags, ESPECIALLY when dropping serious do re mi, before I try them out first either in the store or.... Think about how you might use this bag - with layers, what kind of layers, inside an enclosed shelter(tent), etc. With big ticket items, especially with sleeping bags, where you might have several for different conditions, think about how your 20* down bag fits into your whole sleeping bag line up - how it will work for you now and in the next few yrs.

Dogwood
12-07-2012, 20:57
One more thing. I know my email inbox has been jammed with an awful lot of gear discounts and seasonal offers lately. There are several shhweet discount offers on hiking gear right now. Look for them at gear companies specializing in hiking gear or look up promotional codes for the specific sleeping bag manufacturer. You could save BIG or possibly upgrade to a more expensive customized down bag if you pull the trigger while sales are happening! Tis the season to be buying a sleeping bag. la la la la

Don H
12-07-2012, 20:59
I have a MB UL SS #1. Fit is not so critical with these bags since the width will stretch. You do need to choose between regular and long.
I also have Feathered Friends Swallow 20*. Both are good bags. With the FF you get a choice of shell material and color. Make sure you get the bag that fits you. Check out their website: http://featheredfriends.com there's some good information on sizing and care of bags.

eagleJ
12-07-2012, 21:08
Have you considered a quilt. I went to a quilt for hammock camping and fell in love with the openness of it. I always felt confined in a zippered bag.

RugerWes
12-07-2012, 21:12
Thanks for all the great input folks. I am looking at laying down some serious green here and I ain't rich so I am trying to get all the opinions and real life experience I can get.

To clarify a bit, I am not a big guy. 5'9'' 155 lbs. I am a back sleeper and I generally do not thrash around at all when sleeping. I AM a cold sleeper - heart stents / blood thinners put me in that fix. I am not overly concerned with too narrow a bag as I have a 38 '' chest and a 32 '' waist and as I said I am a still sleeping on my back sort.

The bags I listed are the ones I can look at and lie in locally .I hear great things about Feathered Friends , Valandre et al , but I am not gonna drop 4-5 bills on a bag unseen and those products have no local dealers.

I am leaning to the WM UltraLite, but the MontBell UL Spiral #1 has the ''stretch '' feature which is interesting. The Marmot's are options because they are fine bags and REI runs them on sale time to time, lol.

I worry a bit about the durability of the MontBell a bit ( stretchability = wear = durability ? )

My only concern on the WM Ultralight is the very tapered design ...I lie still but it IS a narrow bag. The AlpineLite interests me , but is not in stock locally, so I cannot check it out.

I truly appreciate all the input again . Please keep it coming !

bigcranky
12-07-2012, 21:51
I have a Western Mountaineering Antelope, a 5-F bag with a microfiber shell. I'm very comfortable with this at altitude in the winter here in NC. There were plenty of nights when I would have frozen in even the best 20F bag.

saltysack
12-07-2012, 23:13
I love my helium, sure it's alot cheaper than the others listed at $279 bc.com sale. For the money it's great!

Dogwood
12-08-2012, 03:07
Based on what you said about your body measurements and, I assume a med frame, I agree with your assessment, you shouldn't be overly concerned about too narrow or constricting of a bag with the ones you are leaning towards. I would still lay down in them with the clothing you most likely will wear while sleeping in them at their lowest rated temp and zip em up to see how they feel though. The med length WM Ultralite is a kick arse bag, made in the USA, gets you in at around 1 lb 13 oz thus it's certainly UL in its class, has an accurate temp rating and is well made. shouder/hips/feet - 59/51/38. Now, get it on sale and you are golden for the NC mild winters. Your body measurements and the way you sleep should mean you wouldn't have major sizing issues with some of the narrow FF bags either in your 10-20* down category. If you are a gram weenie, want another UL well made bag made in the USA with 900 down(yo yo yo! ho ho ho!) the FF Hummingbird UL Nano w/Pertex Endurance UL shell in the reg length would be a SHWEET UL Christmas present for about $439 retail. 58/52/38. And, get this, in reg length it specs in at 1 lb 10 oz. No that's not a misprint! If you want to drop to a the lightest wt 10* WM or FF bags you have the Versalite and the Lark UL. Little more do re mi though. Both sound like they would fit you though. These are top end high quality bags that should last many yrs. Dropping serious money on something like a high end accurately specked out with all the features without the wt reasonably durable UL down bag that will offer many nights of comfortable sleep is something, I personally, don't mind doing. Come back and let us know how you feel about the bag you eventually choose after you sleep in it a few nights outside.

rodonne1
12-09-2012, 09:20
I have the Marmot Plasma 15 and absolutly love it, very nice bag! I will say though, I was about to buy the Marmot Helium 20 when I saw someone on here selling a used Plasma so I picked it up but if I was to pay full retail price I would have gotten the Helium. I went to REI and got in the Helium bag and really like it too.

Studlintsean
12-10-2012, 16:53
The word on WB is that you can get a WM bag from backwoods.com at 25% right now. Just an FYI

RugerWes
12-10-2012, 23:24
The word on WB is that you can get a WM bag from backwoods.com at 25% right now. Just an FYI

Indeed they are ! I am not familiar with that web site, are they reputable ? I do not assume they are not, but I prefer not to order from a company till I ask around a bit :)

As for my bag choice, I do truly appreciate the feedback folks. I know I am looking at higher end quality bags but every little bit of info gives me things to ponder ...I think I was set on the UltraLite , now considering the Alpinelite - but I really need to try the both of them on . The Ultralite is a narrower bag than my Halo 40 so it makes me wonder, but I am a lean 150 ish guy with with a 38-40 chest and a 31 '' waist so I think the AlpineLite may be TOO wide, lol.

The MontBell U.L. Spiral #1 is still a real viability, since it has the ''stretch '' option and may be perfect ( if it is as warm, lol )

Over the next few days I will lay in all of them and pull the trigger soon on my decision . Hope to try out the winner the week of Christmas and I promise a full report ! :)

Thanks again gang...if any more opinions are out there , bring em please .

EllieMP
12-11-2012, 01:03
Hi.. I'm checking out this bag from Golite. http://www.golite.com/Adrenaline-800-Fill-3-Season-Mummy-Regular-P46817.aspx Weighs 1lb. 14oz.. is on sale now for $199.00 w/free shipping and has great reviews. Just ordered my Jam pack 50 backpack from them and waiting anxiously to try it out! There are so many great products out there that it can become very confusing as well.. Good luck to you!

bigcranky
12-11-2012, 08:14
I am a lean 150 ish guy with with a 38-40 chest and a 31 '' waist so I think the AlpineLite may be TOO wide, lol.

The MontBell U.L. Spiral #1 is still a real viability, since it has the ''stretch '' option and may be perfect ( if it is as warm, lol )

Having some extra room inside your bag is not a bad thing on the coldest nights, because it allows your down jacket to loft up inside the bag for more warmth. Don't wear it - drape it over your torso from hips to shoulders and tuck around you. A really narrow bag will compromise the loft when you try this.

Given that you are talking about winter hiking in NC, you'll want to be able to handle lows down to zero-F. Being able to extend a 20-F bag will be useful.

The Montbell #1 has a lot of down, I'd expect it to be comfortable down to the mid-teens.

Hosaphone
12-11-2012, 12:45
Having some extra room inside your bag is not a bad thing on the coldest nights, because it allows your down jacket to loft up inside the bag for more warmth. Don't wear it - drape it over your torso from hips to shoulders and tuck around you. A really narrow bag will compromise the loft when you try this.

That's a fantastic tip I had never thought of... Makes perfect sense. Why would you wear a jacket and compress all the loft on the back side of it? Your way is basically twice as efficient.

Tom Murphy
12-11-2012, 13:36
Very happy with all three of my MARMOT bags.

bigcranky
12-11-2012, 14:39
Your way is basically twice as efficient.

I ain't as dumb as I look. Sometimes. :)

Franco
12-11-2012, 16:56
"Why would you wear a jacket and compress all the loft on the back side of it?'
You would if you turn in your sleep...
(it can end up on the side or under you )

zorobabel
12-11-2012, 17:26
The WM Versalite has a 62" shoulder girth if you're still thinking about WM. 10F and only 2lb, that's hard to beat in a sleeping bag.

zorobabel
12-11-2012, 17:39
Hi.. I'm checking out this bag from Golite. http://www.golite.com/Adrenaline-800-Fill-3-Season-Mummy-Regular-P46817.aspx Weighs 1lb. 14oz.. is on sale now for $199.00 w/free shipping and has great reviews. Just ordered my Jam pack 50 backpack from them and waiting anxiously to try it out! There are so many great products out there that it can become very confusing as well.. Good luck to you!

I ordered a 2011 4 season womens bag from Golite for my wife and I got the 2012 unisex bag (the picture is of the 2011 model http://www.golite.com/Adrenaline-800-Fill-4-Season-Mummy-Regular-P46819.aspx) according to Golite CS. The 2012 bag had a weird cut, narrow shoulders and plenty of room around the lower torso, so you could move your hands freely. The narrow shoulders would be ok for a woman, but too narrow for men. I can't say if the 3 season has a similar cut or not... I sent it back, and eventually got the one I ordered.

Hosaphone
12-11-2012, 18:58
"Why would you wear a jacket and compress all the loft on the back side of it?'
You would if you turn in your sleep...
(it can end up on the side or under you )

Good point. Also, if you're a side sleeper, you will be compressing much less of the down than someone who sleeps on their back.

I guess maybe you could wear the jacket backwards like a smock - put your arms in the sleeves but facing the back side of it. This way the jacket would stay on top of you with no loft compressed underneath, and it would stay in place if you rolled around.

bigcranky
12-11-2012, 20:54
I just turn under the jacket. No big deal.