PDA

View Full Version : New Hiker, What Gear is Necessary?

jgreenwood742
12-07-2012, 16:09
I am new to hiking and plan to take my first 3-4 day trip this spring with longer trips to follow. I'd like to ask for some gear for Christmas, but I don't even know what to ask for. What do you consider necessary? I have a tent, sleeping bag, backpack and decent boots. Thanks in advance!

Duramax22
12-07-2012, 16:14
Best advice is do some research and spend your money once!!!

TEXMAN
12-07-2012, 16:17
A Montbell down jacket if you want to never have to worry about being cold or
a Jetboil if you like hot food

Old Man River

Feral Bill
12-07-2012, 16:48
There are a lot of what ifs. Tell us more about your plans and current gear. For gifts I's consider a nice LED headlamp, Some lightweight cooking gear, and good wool socks. Stoves are a religious issue, choose your cult.

TNjed
12-07-2012, 16:56
Shoes man shoes. Feet ain't good ain't nothing good. Also find a pack that fits proper. Good rain gear, being wet for days is no fun.

MDSection12
12-07-2012, 16:57
There are a lot of what ifs. Tell us more about your plans and current gear. For gifts I's consider a nice LED headlamp, Some lightweight cooking gear, and good wool socks. Stoves are a religious issue, choose your cult.

I was just about to post something similar, but not nearly as coherent. :)

The headlamp and wool socks are a given, but the rest really depends on what you want to do. I'd also take a look at the weight of your tent. Even the 'backpacking tents' that many sports stores sell are far too heavy to carry unless you can split them up between a couple people. I consider 5 lbs to be about the max I'd want to carry for a tent, but many here consider that way too much.

prain4u
12-07-2012, 16:57
Stoves are a religious issue, choose your cult.

So true--and so accurately expressed.

CarlZ993
12-07-2012, 17:18
Some gear - stoves, sleeping pads, cook pots, etc. - can be found relatively cheap and pretty light. I'd sink my money into a really good down sleeping bag (Western Mountaineering Ultralight comes to mind). Next, I look at my shelter system. Decide: tarp, tarp tent, or tent. Most opt for a tent. You have to weigh (pun intended) your options carefully.

What Duramax stated is excellent advice. Wise beyond his years.

I remind my Scouts when they're getting ready for a backpacking trip, 'Ounces become pounds, pounds become pain.' Keep that in mind as you're accumulating your gear.

RugerWes
12-07-2012, 17:23
I am new to hiking and plan to take my first 3-4 day trip this spring with longer trips to follow. I'd like to ask for some gear for Christmas, but I don't even know what to ask for. What do you consider necessary? I have a tent, sleeping bag, backpack and decent boots. Thanks in advance!

You have some time, so educate yourself and don't be in a hurry. This forum is an excellent resource, but you should also just go look at equipment. There is an REI less than 20 miles from Hampstead.They carry many brands of most anything you might need. They also have free ''basic hiking and ''classes and they are free for members.

I go look at equipment, then research it on line before I buy anything . You can also pick up great deals on this and other forums with used items.

The essentials of basic hiking / camping to me are solid quality boots, a good sleeping bag and pad, a pack big enough to accomodate your gear, a cooking kit, compass or gps as well as maps, suffecient water and food, proper clothing ans socks, fire-starting tools, headlamp and/ or flaslight etc.

The main thing is to just get educated , and the good news is you have the time to do so if you are willing to invest some time to do it .

Mags
12-07-2012, 17:32
Aimed for beginners (and on the conservative side because of it), perhaps it will help?
http://www.pmags.com/backpacking-a-beginners-primer

Rasty
12-07-2012, 17:33
Take some time looking at these cottage industry websites. Many very inovative companies making gear for us. Many of these companies are making gear in America also. It's amazing when you can get an american made product for less money than an import and talk to the owner of the company about fit and which product will work best for you. There are many great companies on this list. I have used Trail Designs (Stove), Tarptent, Lawsons Equipment and ULA Packs and can't say enough about them.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?434-Cottage-Industry-Gear-Manufacturers-2012

Darwin13
12-07-2012, 18:07
Pack Cover or Liner (can be a garbage or trash compactor bag for cheap!)

You say you have a shelter so ill assume you have a rain fly too

Sleeping pad ( i think this is key for all ground sleepers and even hammock hangers.)

Darn Tough Socks (the best socks imo)

Thermal Long johns Top and Bottom (lightweight and medium weight for all 3 season and heavy weight for winter)

Running Shorts and a silk Shirt are very good lightweight camp clothes (always keep dry to have something for when your done hiking

Montbell EX down jacket (pricey but so worth it, super super light and warmmmmm)

Rain Shell (many people dont bother with a rain shell on their legs but this is a personal thing. I use a poncho in warm weather and a more fuller coverage jacket in colder weather. Marmot is good, outdoor research, etc.)

Stuff Sacks (you will always need stuff sacks!)

Gloves and hat (weight depending on how cold it is when you plan on hiking)

Stove (i used a snow peak giga power set with the stove, cook pot and spork. Its an almost perfect combination but has some flaws. I just changed to a white box stove, it was 20 bucks, can with the windscreen, and heat shield. I also bought an Imusa 12 cm cook pot for it, that was 6 dollars. A nice cheap alternative to the pricey and heavy jetboils and cannister fuels. However, an alcohol stove is more for hte experienced imo, so always become competent with it before you get out on the trail)

Depending on if you get a stove, and what kind it is, you may need to buy some cookware with it, titanium is usually lightest but most expensive.

A bowl to eat in, mug? these are things you have to fine tune when you get a hiking routine.

Water purification system. ( i use a sawyer squeeze that i modified for better use in the field, many will tell you of the wonders of aquaria drops, both are great and light.)

Water bladders or bottles to carry water (32oz gatorade bottles are light and cheap!)

For survival:
Headlamp or light
Fire Starter (lighter)
First Aid kit (i make my own but the sets are nice)
Toothbrush and toothpaste
Bear Bag and line for it
Repair kit

Trek poles
knife
bandanas

TRY AND BUY LIGHT TO START OFF WITH, I DIDN'T AND WAS MAD!

brian039
12-07-2012, 18:48
If I was going to ask Santa for some gear and all I had was a tent, sleeping bag, backpack, and boots I think I would ask for a Montbell down jacket. If Santa still had some more money to spend on me then I'd want a sleeping pad, rain gear, fleece hat, gloves, and a stove and cookpot. Everything else you can pretty much get by on cheap stuff.

Odd Man Out
12-07-2012, 21:51
Instead of gear, a beginner might be well served by a book that explains what all the choices are and how to decide, based on your own needs and wants.

http://andrewskurka.com/product/ultimate-hikers-gear-guide/

Blissful
12-07-2012, 22:50
Just for you - a sample gear list on my blog (http://blissfulhiking.blogspot.com/2012/11/making-gear-list-and-checking-it-twice.html) !

jgreenwood742
12-08-2012, 10:01
The "what ifs" that I can think of...I'll be hiking the AT in the VA, MD, PA area in late April - early May with a friend who is a reasonably experienced hiker. She will supply the tent and a sleeping bag. I do not plan to buy my own until I have tried her gear out first so that I can form an opinion and my own list of likes and dislikes. The backpack that I own is another hand-me-down, but again with something so personal, I figure that I'll try it out to see what I do and do not like about it. It feels comfortable enough and I plan to do a few day hikes with it loaded before I go on the multi-day trip with it. I like hot food and will be joining the Stove cult. :-) I also plan to do some hiking trips with my husband and eventually our two children, so where appropriate, I'd like the gear that I buy to accommodate at least two.

Don H
12-08-2012, 10:15
Darwin13, how did you modify the Sawyer Squeeze?

forager5.56
12-08-2012, 17:47
what gear to use? depends on your tolerance for suffering. my short list (when i first thru hiked);
1. georgia"mud dog" steel toe boots
2. all cotton clothes except nylon wind breaker
3. medium alice pack, no belt, no sternum(40-50 lbs)
4. wool blanket(no sleeping bag cotton canvas sleeping bag cover)
5. kitchen pots
you get the idea. although i thru hiked with this equipment, i suffered due to ignorance. good people eventually hooked me up as i learned from them. the lighter the better. unfortunately this comes at a price.
although i suffered, i would not change that experience, as i feel it made me a better man. i am more appreciative of the smaller things in life!

Feral Bill
12-08-2012, 17:56
The "what ifs" that I can think of...I'll be hiking the AT in the VA, MD, PA area in late April - early May with a friend who is a reasonably experienced hiker. She will supply the tent and a sleeping bag. I do not plan to buy my own until I have tried her gear out first so that I can form an opinion and my own list of likes and dislikes. The backpack that I own is another hand-me-down, but again with something so personal, I figure that I'll try it out to see what I do and do not like about it. It feels comfortable enough and I plan to do a few day hikes with it loaded before I go on the multi-day trip with it. I like hot food and will be joining the Stove cult. :-) I also plan to do some hiking trips with my husband and eventually our two children, so where appropriate, I'd like the gear that I buy to accommodate at least two.

This is the smartest approach. I like also the idea of books as gifts. The Complete Walker IV is y favorite "how to" book. The Barefoot Sisters Southbound an excellent trip account. There are many others you might like.

kayak karl
12-08-2012, 18:01
i still get snickers in my stocking :)