PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Bauer issue resolved

nogods
12-08-2012, 09:54
I recently purchased a Jetboil Sumo Titanium stove from Eddie Bauer. The problem is that they are actually shipping out the regular less expensive regular sumo.
Their website depicts and describes the Sumo TI (http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=42968&&categoryId=28799&categoryName=CAMPING-EQUIPMENT&pCategoryId=5&pCategoryName=BAGS--GEAR&gpCategoryId=1&gpCategoryName=EB&catPath=~~categoryId=28799~~categoryName=CAMPING-EQUIPMENT~~pCategoryId=5~~pCategoryName=BAGS--GEAR~~gpCategoryId=1~~gpCategoryName=EB&viewAll=n&pg=1&cmPathInfo=null) for $190. But they actually ship the $130 regular Sumo.
It took several phone calls, including a phone call to Jetboil, and emails with pictures of the item they had sent to me, to convince them of their error. But they didn't agree to exchange it for a Sumo TI, they would only refund the purchase price (which was a sales price at which I cannot now purchase another Sumo TI, so I've lost the benefit of the bargain and the opportunity to have purchased the same item at a discount from another retailer.)
Eddie Bauer said that the one I got is the only type they have. They blamed Jetboil for sending them regular Sumos instead of the titanium Sumos. Hey, that's between Eddie Bauer and Jetboil - Eddie Bauer owes me a Sumo TI for the price they agreed to sell it to me. They can go to REI or EMS to buy one then ship it to me and pick up the one they sent.
And refunding my purchase price doesn't correct the problem for all the other people who paid for a Sumo TI but received a regular Sumo.
As of today Eddie Bauer is still advertising the Sumo TI on their website. Jetboil was able to determine that it is not the Sumo TI because the Sumo TI has a sand colored cozy (as depicted in the picture at the Eddie Bauer site) but the item Eddie Bauer ships out has the orange cozy that is only on the regular Sumo. Moreover, the packaging is for the regular Sumo, not the Sumo TI.
If you look carefully at the Eddie Bauer website for the Sumo TI you'll see a color swatch to the left of the picture of the Sumo TI - that color swatch is the orange color of the sumo regular, even though if you roll over it it says "sand".
So if you are looking for Sumo TI stay away from Eddie Bauer. You'll pay for one but you won't get one.

bamboo bob
12-08-2012, 10:21
They made a mistake. They refunded. Buy one someplace else. Why thy fuss. Annoying, but just a mistake.

Blissful
12-08-2012, 10:43
I never get any gear there. Clothing only for every day.

Wise Old Owl
12-08-2012, 10:46
I have tried to shop there.... but its just a name to charge you more.....

Namaste
12-08-2012, 11:26
I had the same experience with them shipping me something different from what I ordered on the website and, well you know the rest. I'll shop in the store but I won't order anything from their website or catalog.

Tinker
12-08-2012, 12:14
I never get any gear there. Clothing only for every day.

My take on Bauer is that they have long catered to hunters and fishermen, who don't often spend multiple days in the woods, and, with that, I can fully believe that they did not know that they had the non-titanium stove.

Take your refund and go someplace else.

Thanks for the heads-up, too. :)

magic_game03
12-08-2012, 21:50
You DESERVE it! You really bought something that had the name Eddie Bauer attached to it? I'm sorry, but you deserved it.

Papa D
12-08-2012, 21:59
Why would you order anything from Eddie Bauer - they are not cool - they just have a bunch of "imported" (meaning from China) poser clothing. Way way way back in the day (like LL Bean) they were legit (maybe) now, they are just posers - - find you a LOCAL outfitter store, show up in person and purchase gear - - that's the best way to get the right stuff - - by the way, I used my jet-boil this weekend for a car camping trip to make some coffee - - it's a water boiler (not a real stove for "cooking" I.M.O.). I find pocket rockets, alcohol stoves and MSR white gas stoves much more useful.

swjohnsey
12-08-2012, 22:06
I bought my wife a Goretex jacket about 10 years ago. I recently called 'em up and told them the jacket was no longer waterproof. They told me to send it back, they would send me a mailing label for UPS. Got an instore credit for $179 and change.

hikerboy57
12-08-2012, 22:23
You DESERVE it! You really bought something that had the name Eddie Bauer attached to it? I'm sorry, but you deserved it.
doesnt he make ford expeditions?

atmilkman
12-08-2012, 22:31
doesnt he make ford expeditions?
Yea, but it's a PIA to heat up water on the exhaust manifold - hard to reach.

hikerboy57
12-08-2012, 22:39
Yea, but it's a PIA to heat up water on the exhaust manifold - hard to reach.
i think the new ones have a jetboil in the center conslole

atmilkman
12-08-2012, 22:55
i think the new ones have a jetboil in the center conslole
You might be mistaking that for the heater.

prain4u
12-08-2012, 23:03
I like my Eddie Bauer stuff. Never had a problem. I don't get much camping/hiking stuff from them. I generally get stuff for day-to-day use in Midwest winters. Nice, heavy, down parka, sweaters, a down vest--and the occasional unique "gadget" (that I could probably live without).

There are no local outfitters near me. I have to travel 50-60 miles just to get to an Eddie Bauer, Dick's Sporting Goods, Gander Mountain or Bass Pro Shops. There is one "local" outfitter 50 miles away. They have a very small selection of products. I buy what I can there before going to the "big box" outfitters. Frankly, I tend to buy much of my stuff online from places like TarpTent, JacksRbetter, etc.

magic_game03
12-08-2012, 23:35
I like my Eddie Bauer stuff.

I guess it goes without saying (though I'm saying it) I'm praying for you... if you ever have to rely on that EB stuff.

prain4u
12-08-2012, 23:44
I guess it goes without saying (though I'm saying it) I'm praying for you... if you ever have to rely on that EB stuff.

Again-I have never had a problem with my Bauer stuff. It has lasted me a fairly long time. No rips or tears. Zippers and snaps have held up well. The parka has stayed warm. I tend to buy the stuff when it is between 40% to 75% off--so the price is right too.

Wise Old Owl
12-08-2012, 23:51
Well here's a thought folks, Backpacking IS a nitch industry this is your world - Eddie is branded clothing - not backpacking. REI and EMS and Cottage / small business need your dollars and patronage more and they are working hard for it. Sports Authority, Dicks, Bass Pro, Cabelas are big box stores that offer cheap china knock offs and cater to the Hunting/Golf masses.... Dicks Sporting goods owns Golf Galaxy to increase market share. Just because you see a little backpacking equipment doesn't mean they cater to your needs!

I love the co-op mentality - I buy into it and the people behind the counter are there because they do love what they do and honestly think they want to help you. I worked 8 years at one retail place because I loved what I did helping folks buy electronics and computers. There are several co-ops Mountain comes to mind. There are many cottage manufactures.... I try to support them when I can, Stormcrow and General have provided better products that make me happy on the trail.

MuddyWaters
12-09-2012, 14:10
Its a good heads up.

EB used to be THE name in leading edge outdoor gear, but that was a LOOOOOONNNGGG time ago.
They have tried to re-capture that pastiche with the first ascent line, but reality is they are a yuppie clothing store today. Nothing more.
North Face decided to follow the same track. Sell out and make cheap gear for the masses, and still retain a bit of quality gear at upper end.
Patagonia isnt far behind them either actually.

Thank goodness for cottage mfgs that want to produce high quality gear, at reasonable prices.

nogods
12-09-2012, 15:33
They made a mistake. They refunded. Buy one someplace else. Why thy fuss. Annoying, but just a mistake.

And therein is the problem. They agreed to sell me a Sumo TI at a discount of $75. They didn't deliver. i'll have to spend an extra $75 to cover their mistake. I could have purchased one from EMS at the same time with a discount of $48, but that opportunity expired while waiting for the deliver of the Sumo TI from Eddie Bauer.

What do you think EB's response would be if I sent back only part of the Sumo they sent me, say I kept the stove itself and just sent back the cup, top, pot support and stove support. Think they would say "oh well, he didn't send us everything he agreed to send us, but lets give him a full refund anyway"?

Sure they would.

RCBear
12-09-2012, 16:39

I'm laughing at this answer because I can't believe you had the balls to post it. Has nothing to do with the fact that they made a mistake, and everything to do with the fact that they are not taking ownership of their mistake in solving the problem in a proper fashion. Based on his reporting of the handling of this I would say it absolutely sways my decision on anything regarding Eddie Bauer until I hear that it was resolved in a minute should have been in the first place... And I'm stunned that you think he should just walk away from it. Its places like this where he has the power to take them to task.

Don H
12-09-2012, 17:58
Is anyone else here seeing the irony in a discussion between nogods and prain4u?

atmilkman
12-09-2012, 18:06
Is anyone else here seeing the irony in a discussion between nogods and prain4u?
Ummm, Jetboil is not an Eddie Bauer Product? Do tell Don H.

prain4u
12-09-2012, 19:06

The real irony (and pun) is that my last name is "PRAIN"--and I am (among other things) a pastor and former military chaplain.

atmilkman
12-09-2012, 19:12
The real irony (and pun) is that my last name is "PRAIN"--and I am (among other things) a pastor and former military chaplain.
Well I''ll be da......................dang. (excuse my french pastor)

scissor
12-10-2012, 10:55
I'm a big guy and EB is one of the few that makes decent outerwear in tall sizes.

Anyone know of other options?

atmilkman
12-10-2012, 11:04
I'm a big guy and EB is one of the few that makes decent outerwear in tall sizes.

Anyone know of other options?
Cabela's has the tall sizes in a pretty good selection of stuff, shirts, jackets, coats, long underwear, just about anything you may need a tall size in.

bfayer
12-10-2012, 12:38
I'm laughing at this answer because I can't believe you had the balls to post it. Has nothing to do with the fact that they made a mistake, and everything to do with the fact that they are not taking ownership of their mistake in solving the problem in a proper fashion. Based on his reporting of the handling of this I would say it absolutely sways my decision on anything regarding Eddie Bauer until I hear that it was resolved in a minute should have been in the first place... And I'm stunned that you think he should just walk away from it. Its places like this where he has the power to take them to task.

Here is my take on this. To me this is not a matter of who is right or who's wrong, EB is clearly wrong.

My view on things like this is that we come in to the world with only so many arrows and we should choose our battles carefully. Some battles no matter how noble are not the right battles. Taking someone to task just because you can adds little value to your life.

I would get my money back and move on. EB clearly made a mistake, but they are not trying to rip anyone off. Everyone makes stupid mistakes from time to time, when they do, you point it out and move on.

As for how they handled it, they offered a refund. I see that as good enough for me, and that is all I'd expect when a mistake is made and no other harm is done.

Just my view on life.

Feral Bill
12-10-2012, 13:15

Anyone know of other options? LL Bean. They have great customer service, too.

RCBear
12-11-2012, 18:09
Here is my take on this. To me this is not a matter of who is right or who's wrong, EB is clearly wrong.

My view on things like this is that we come in to the world with only so many arrows and we should choose our battles carefully. Some battles no matter how noble are not the right battles. Taking someone to task just because you can adds little value to your life.

I would get my money back and move on. EB clearly made a mistake, but they are not trying to rip anyone off. Everyone makes stupid mistakes from time to time, when they do, you point it out and move on.

As for how they handled it, they offered a refund. I see that as good enough for me, and that is all I'd expect when a mistake is made and no other harm is done.

Just my view on life.

Sorry. i re read the OP because i thought i saw where his refund was that of the cost of the lower priced JB. if they refunded his full purchase price, then yes, just move on. I have some E.B. stuff but it's nothing i would use for backpacking.

nogods
12-11-2012, 19:30
I got a call from the distributor of Jetboil products and the "ceo's office" for Eddie Bauer. They are sending me a Sumo TI free of charge, they are reducing the price I paid for the Summo regular by another 40% (I guess they just don't want it back), and they are tracking down the other people who ordered a TI but may have gotten a Sumo. What they will do for them I don't know. They said it was a mix up in ordering and distribution, whatever that means.

I told them that all I wanted was a Sumo TI for the price I had paid but the insisted on going through with the free Sumo TI and the additional 40% on the Sumo Regular. I'll give the Sumo regular to my son.

So I can say that Eddie Bauer will fix a screw up once you get past the initial customer service rep. I guess the key is to ask to transferred to the "CEO's office" if the initial customer service rep isn't responsive to your issues.

RCBear
12-11-2012, 20:26
I got a call from the distributor of Jetboil products and the "ceo's office" for Eddie Bauer. They are sending me a Sumo TI free of charge, they are reducing the price I paid for the Summo regular by another 40% (I guess they just don't want it back), and they are tracking down the other people who ordered a TI but may have gotten a Sumo. What they will do for them I don't know. They said it was a mix up in ordering and distribution, whatever that means.

I told them that all I wanted was a Sumo TI for the price I had paid but the insisted on going through with the free Sumo TI and the additional 40% on the Sumo Regular. I'll give the Sumo regular to my son.

So I can say that Eddie Bauer will fix a screw up once you get past the initial customer service rep. I guess the key is to ask to transferred to the "CEO's office" if the initial customer service rep isn't responsive to your issues.

Let me know if you would prefer to sell the regular sumo!

Wise Old Owl
12-11-2012, 20:41
Strange - Nogods - Me thinks they saw the thread, dishing them on the internet. The company I work for pays in house for a person to monitor BBB and other sources to do brand protection..

Just thank them for coming thru and be done with it.

atmilkman
12-11-2012, 21:13
I've had excellent customer service dealing with JetBoil so their part does not suprise me. And it looks like EB went above and beyond. You got a really sweet deal.

hikerboy57
12-11-2012, 21:19
i dunno. eddie seems like a good guy

http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=1671

bfayer
12-12-2012, 15:16
Nogods,

Can I suggest you ask the mods to edit the title of the thread now that they made good?

I'm glad it worked out for you. I love my jetboil.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

scissor
12-13-2012, 12:55
LL Bean. They have great customer service, too.

LL Bean has also recently gotten heat for not being American made. And Cabela's doesn't mess around hiding it either anymore.

You will drive yourself crazy trying to find a true American made product

Tuckahoe
12-13-2012, 12:59
Not only should the thread title be edited, but the resolution of the issue should also be added to the first thread.

nogods
12-13-2012, 18:36
Nogods,

Can I suggest you ask the mods to edit the title of the thread now that they made good?

I'm glad it worked out for you. I love my jetboil.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Good suggestion - If any mods read this please change the title to "Eddie Bauer issue resolved"

walknrow
12-13-2012, 19:41
Glad to see it all worked out!