PDA

View Full Version : MA-CT Section: what maps to use?

Saluki
12-08-2012, 12:37
I have a very old edition of the MA-CT AT guide (6th ed, 1985) that I bought a few years ago for a buck. Now that I'm planning to do this section, I'm sure the guide is well out of date. Does the latest edition have a decent set of maps or are they using the same awful map that I have in my old edition? The map is absolutely worthless! A scale of 5 miles to the inch, give me a break! So, what to use for maps on the MA-CT section?

Tinker
12-08-2012, 12:44
My maps from the year 2000 have a scale of 1:38,750. The ATC sold them through various retailer as well as their online store. I believe that mine came from REI or EMS.

Blissful
12-08-2012, 18:50
I just use the maps from the ATC, works good for me.

The Snowman
12-10-2012, 18:58
I just use the free AMC map for CT don't go to often into Mass.

Darwin13
12-11-2012, 20:55
the trail is so well marked, the maps and guide aren't really needed. maybe just a few pages from hte thru hiker companion to mark out what towns you will resupply in and what not...my opinion.

Sarcasm the elf
12-11-2012, 22:26
I use the standard ATC maps the current edition has a scale of 1" = one mile. I also have a copy of the ATC thru hikers companion that is cut into sections so I only take the states I need.

The trail in both states is very well marked, however Since you are supposed to stay at designated sites in both states, the maps are helpful. I've hikes most of both states several times and the thru hikers companion is becoming more useful since it lists local deli's and resupplies.

Cosmo
12-13-2012, 11:00
The 1995 map wil not show the current route or all of the overnight sites. The current ATC map and guidebook was reviewed and edited extensively by the local trail Club--including myself, so I know it's right;)

Plus, purchasing the map and/or guidebook contributes to ATC.

Cosmo