PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Thru Hikers

RangerPhil
12-08-2012, 12:44
Can we start a sticky for anybody who is planning on doing a thru or a major section hike in 2013? I'm considering turning my section hike into a thru and I'd love to know when and where other thru hikers will be!

RangerPhil
Name: Phil Hennessey
SOBO
Start Date (anticipated): Late June
Most looking forward to: The Winds, the entire state of Colorado

Josh Calhoun
12-08-2012, 17:30
Rash
Josh calhoun
Thru hiker
Starting Feb 16th
Www.trailjournals.com/Rash

RangerPhil
12-08-2012, 17:37
Rash - Thanks for posting...but this is for the Continental Divide Trail, not the Appalachian Trail! Best of luck. I've done a good portion of the AT, and I guarantee you're in for quite the adventure.

bamboo bob
12-08-2012, 17:58
facebook CDT 2013 has a list of starters

SassyWindsor
12-15-2012, 12:31
My next long hike in the America's will be the CDT + the Canadian GDT (about 3900 miles for both?) , I hope to do both but just need to spend more time planning. The links you guys have posted will help a lot in making this easier. Finding the time to devote to this trip will also be challenging. I may end up splitting the trip into 2 or 3 sections to make it so, on the down side this makes travel expense much, much more.

SunnyWalker
12-26-2012, 00:16
SunnyWalker
David Schlewitz
NOBO
Planning 1st Week of May. However I may start in April.
Aloneness, quiet, peace, beauty of nature, cup of coffee in the morning.

SunnyWalker
02-22-2013, 13:19
I had the left toe of my left foot amputated this last Feb 15. Had follow up yesterday with surgeon. Seems that I am still on board and have the go-ahead for the April start on CDT. Right now I am on crutches and a "roll-about". Cant put any weight AT ALL on the foot. Now there are lots of things that get real hard when you have to hold the line like that. Just try standing at the bathroom sink, on one foot, turn on the water, etc, and brush your teeth. Think you are strong and no problemo!??? Try it! One leg until after you dry off. When I was in the hospital room waiting for them to come and get me I was reading "Hiking with Grizzlies". The Doc came in and I showed him the book and coincidence of coincidence he told me his Dad wrote a similar book. I came home and sure enough found it on Amazon.com Bought it, got it, read it. Oh this is getting interesting.

bearcreek
02-22-2013, 20:51
I had half of a toe amputated due to frostbite from a winter mountaineering disaster when I was in high school. That toe (what's left of it) still gets very sore sometimes. I would strongly suggest that you get some seriously oversized shoes to hike in. My shoe size went up one full size on the CDT - from a 8.5 to a 9.5, and when you are hiking your feet will swell significantly.

SunnyWalker
02-23-2013, 17:30
Thanks Bearcreek. I plan on doing that. .... Those Keen shoes seem to run "small" if you know what I mean.

High Life
03-07-2013, 16:32
High Life NOBO APRIL 15-ish ??

SunnyWalker
04-09-2013, 10:20
OK, foot doing real well. Now set my start date as: April 27 Whahooooooooooooooo!
NOBO
SunnyWalker
Dave Schlewitz
Fun!