PDA

View Full Version : MH "Hoop" Tents

ljcsov
12-08-2012, 12:48
Anyone try these Mountain Hardwear hoop tents? Here is one for example, http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Hoopster%E2%84%A2/OU9614,default,pd.html.

After checking them out a bit online, they intrigued me enough to conduct a further inquiry. They have a few models, ranging from a smaller tent styled setup to a large group yurt. To add, the weight is pretty good on these things, starting at 2lb on the smallest.

Would this be a good mild weather winter option?

Thanks.

Tinker
12-08-2012, 13:01
REI tried a similar design (though more complex) in the 1980s and it didn't sell very well. It had more hoops and fewer stakes.

The Mt. Hardware tent looks as though it would require careful stake placement, which can be difficult in some places (and the footprint looks fairly large).

If you get over the color and don't mind searching for the perfect spot to pitch it (tent platforms being not perfect for so many stakes), it might be a good option. It looks as though it should be pretty aerodynamic for its height, and roomy inside, but the security of your shelter would be highly dependant upon good stake placement.

I just noticed that you're from Pa.

I had trouble finding suitable stake placements for the four stakes that I use with my hammock tarp when I was section hiking your state. Often, I'd have to settle with having one side of my tarp slack because the appropriate staking angle would have a large rock where I needed it not to be.

Other times, I would thread a stake halfway through the line loop, lay it down on the ground, then place rocks on top of it (not optimal for holding power). :)

ljcsov
12-08-2012, 13:08
You are right. The staking situation isn't the best in PA that is why my two current tents are mostly free standing. We have plenty of rocks here, making it difficult to find soil suitable for placing stakes in a sturdy fashion. I made myself a few tarps and noticed that pitching them in the rocky soil on the trail can be a bit of a pain. Considering this shelter, I could see the conditions making things difficult.

I was just curious about the design. I enjoy the looks of creative shelter designs, such as this hoop setup and some of the MSR shelters, like the missing link.

Breaker
12-11-2012, 05:47
It seems to be a regular hoop tent and I'm not sure whether it will resist the mild snow.

leaftye
12-11-2012, 09:10
Some guy on another forum had one, and I think he had leaking problems that he couldn't figure out how to fix. He liked it aside from the leaking. I'd suggest buying it from a shop with a great return policy, like REI.

ljcsov
12-11-2012, 21:18
I am thinking I might pass on this one due to the mixed reviews alongside the high price tag. If I decide to pop on a winter tent, more than likely it will be a BD Betamid or something simple and cheap to start with.