PDA

View Full Version : Does Western Mountaneering sleeping bags ever go on sale?

no-name
12-08-2012, 16:23
I have decided on the Alpinlite bag from Western Mountaineering. I have been looking on-line for about 2 months with no sign of any sales or price drops.

I am about to just order it from backcountry.com.

Does Western Mountaineering bags ever go on sale?

hikerboy57
12-08-2012, 16:26
I can't say for sure but I've never seen them on sale. paid full price for my highlight.

MuddyWaters
12-08-2012, 17:09
Not really.
When a store goes out of business, or quits carrying the line altogether, then you will see them on sale.
Occasionally a store accidentally puts them on sale during a storewide sale, but my impression is those are mistakes and they are not supposed to.

yellowsirocco
12-08-2012, 17:12
I got mine during the great backcountry.com 40% glitch. That is the only time I have ever seen them on sale.

Blissful
12-08-2012, 18:47
I was told by a retailer the company does not allow their bags to be discounted.

bigcranky
12-08-2012, 18:54
I got my Antelope on a great discount when my local outfitter stopped carrying that model. My hiking partner got one too. They were close to 50% off. But I paid full price for my Megalite. It's still going strong after 8 or 9 years, though, so it was worth the money.

Dogwood
12-08-2012, 19:06
Does Western Mountaneering sleeping bags ever go on sale?

I've seem them discounted through dealers, but it's somewhat of a rare thing.

BradMT
12-08-2012, 19:22
Not really.
When a store goes out of business, or quits carrying the line altogether, then you will see them on sale.
Occasionally a store accidentally puts them on sale during a storewide sale, but my impression is those are mistakes and they are not supposed to.

Muddy's got it right. Bought two accidentally put on sale, and have seen them on closeouts... but you may have to wait til hell freezes over to find either.

Buy from the Hermit's Hut and get free overfill, shipping, and great customer service. That's my best recommendation.

4shot
12-08-2012, 20:16
I think the correct grammer would be "Do Western Mountaineering sleeping bags etc..." rather than "Does WM slepping bags etc..."

with that being said, I ain't sure if they ever do cause I bought me some Marmot bags.

no-name
12-08-2012, 20:58
I think the correct grammer would be "Do Western Mountaineering sleeping bags etc..." rather than "Does WM slepping bags etc..."

with that being said, I ain't sure if they ever do cause I bought me some Marmot bags.

Sorry. I aint got the grammer rite, Momma didnt teach me no better.

SassyWindsor
12-08-2012, 21:06
WM bags a bargain at almost any price. My second choice (a close one at that) are the Marmot bags. I have each and love them.

no-name
12-08-2012, 21:16
I am going for it tomorrow morning, I gotta get back on the trail and a warm bag is all that is keeping me from it. I might go for that free overfill at hermits hut.

If anyone has a better website than backcountry.com or hermitshut.com, PLEASE let me know.

archie
12-08-2012, 21:17

Grammar lol

magic_game03
12-08-2012, 21:57
Yesssss, I once saw a store advertise that they had gold for half the price of the current market, AND they were also selling WM bags and jackets. NO? Ok, I'm lying. If you ever see retail Western Mountaineering on sale, you'd better post it 'cause we here at WB deserve to know!!!

Slacks
12-08-2012, 23:28

Ahahahahahaha

saltysack
12-08-2012, 23:45
Us poor uneducated rednecks in south can't afford them there high dollar bags had to settle fir the backcountry.com sale $279 on the $400 marmot helium ....:);)

magic_game03
12-09-2012, 00:12
Us poor uneducated rednecks in south can't afford them there high dollar bags had to settle fir the backcountry.com sale $279 on the $400 marmot helium ....:);)

Heard. You do understand that St. Peter is the door greater and they got hot doughnuts in the back. it's worth signing your life away if you ever get stuck three days in an ice chest above 14,000ft with only one days worth of rations.

daddytwosticks
12-09-2012, 17:19
...or buy your Western Mountaineering sleeping bags used from Whiteblaze. I'm planning on selling my barely used Alpinlite and used Caribou after the Christmas rush at the post office is over. Why am I selling some of the best sleeping bags in the world? To buy another model Western Mountaineering bag! :)

Dogwood
12-09-2012, 19:22
I think the OP's question has been answered but let me clarify. Only under some rare conditions, such as a dealer store closing, discountinued models/styles, discount that is wrongly applied to WM gear, etc is WM gear sold below a set retail lower limit. WM sets a lowest possible retail price pt that WM sleeping bags and clothing can be sold at. Dealer "sales" can't normally go below this lowest retail price pt. Shart ocassionally happens though. NOT everyone buys WM gear at retail prices!

BradMT
12-09-2012, 19:55
I think the OP's question has been answered but let me clarify. Only under some rare conditions, such as a dealer store closing, discountinued models/styles, discount that is wrongly applied to WM gear, etc is WM gear sold below a set retail lower limit. WM sets a lowest possible retail price pt that WM sleeping bags and clothing can be sold at. Dealer "sales" can't normally go below this lowest retail price pt. Shart ocassionally happens though. NOT everyone buys WM gear at retail prices!

There was no need to "clarify"... previous posts said exactly the same thing...

Sugarfoot
12-09-2012, 20:03
No-Name, have I ever lied to you? Western Mountaineering is a bargain at full retail. Just be sure to try the bag on in the store to be sure it fits. It's a lifetime bag with good care. Keep hiking, my friend.

msupple
12-09-2012, 22:19
Yes...I bought my Megalite at a discount. It's been a while so I can't recall how much. You have to be persistent in your search and not be in a hurry. They're out there but not common.

Cat in the Hat

Datto
12-09-2012, 23:58
There are a couple of Western Mountaineering pieces on eBay every week or so.

You have it correct though -- Western Mountaineering made the best sleeping bag I've ever owned. The two Marmot bags I have are also pretty good (Hydrogen and Helium models).

Datto

Studlintsean
12-10-2012, 10:58
I have been looking for a WM sleeping bag for a long time and was contantly checking WB, BPL, eBay, and all the online retailers. Late Friday night I found a guy on BPL selling a brand new WM Alpinelite with the tags and never been outside. I jumped on the opportunity and I should have the sleeping bag sitting on my front door step when I get home tonight. Hopefully I can talk the GF into letting me get out this weekend for at least 1 night. They are out there at discount rates but very hard to find and usually dont last very long.

colorado_rob
12-10-2012, 11:36
If you join the colorado Mountain Club (cmc.org), you get an automatic 10% off at a couple mountaineering stores in Golden and Boulder that both carry WM sleeping bags, and they honor the discount for WM. of course, 10% off barely covers sales tax in both towns. As a mountaineering school instructor in the club, I get 18% off. In 2005, our Denali expedition team did a group equipment buy on moosejaw.com and they gave us a blanket 25% off of everything, bless their hearts, and I bought my WM Puma then. So if you live in CO (or even not), join the CMC and get you 10% off ! (shameless plug)

no-name
12-10-2012, 12:32
No-Name, have I ever lied to you? Western Mountaineering is a bargain at full retail. Just be sure to try the bag on in the store to be sure it fits. It's a lifetime bag with good care. Keep hiking, my friend.

Hello Sugarfoot!! It is based on your reccomendation that I have purchased a Western Mountaineering bag. I selected the Alpinlite based on the 20 degree rating and the larger dimensions. I need those larger dimensions because I roll around in my sleep when the snoring in the shelters wakes me up!! I think about that Shenandoah trip often, thanks for sharing it with me.

Now for the big news!! 25% off any item at http://www.backwoods.com/ enter FRIENDS as a coupon code and get 25% off any one item. This deal is good until 12/12/12. I just ordered the Alpinlite for $337.50 with free shipping!! Their price was $450 for the regular length, which is $15 cheaper than list. Then 25% off.

Studlintsean
12-10-2012, 12:34
Hello Sugarfoot!! It is based on your reccomendation that I have purchased a Western Mountaineering bag. I selected the Alpinlite based on the 20 degree rating and the larger dimensions. I need those larger dimensions because I roll around in my sleep when the snoring in the shelters wakes me up!! I think about that Shenandoah trip often, thanks for sharing it with me.

Now for the big news!! 25% off any item at http://www.backwoods.com/ enter FRIENDS as a coupon code and get 25% off any one item. This deal is good until 12/12/12. I just ordered the Alpinlite for $337.50 with free shipping!! Their price was $450 for the regular length, which is $15 cheaper than list. Then 25% off.

Hope you enjoy it. Damn...I just paid a bit more for a new (but previously owned) bag. Had a waited on emore day I could have done this deal... Oh well and thanks for the info.

Sugarfoot
12-10-2012, 14:54
That's a great price, No-Name. You ought to offer a shopping service. Watch the video on WM's website on how to care for your new bag. Follow it exactly and you will be warm for a long time! Hope to see you out there in 2013.

Dogwood
12-10-2012, 17:11
UMMM, per No-Name's info, it's now obvious WM sleeping bags certainly DO go on sale from retail prices! From Backwoods you can get a reg sized WM Ultralite for $420(retail) - 25 % = $315, free shipping included. That's a sale, no matter how you define it! Thanks No-name.

daddytwosticks
12-10-2012, 17:24
If you join the colorado Mountain Club (cmc.org), you get an automatic 10% off at a couple mountaineering stores in Golden and Boulder that both carry WM sleeping bags, and they honor the discount for WM. of course, 10% off barely covers sales tax in both towns. As a mountaineering school instructor in the club, I get 18% off. In 2005, our Denali expedition team did a group equipment buy on moosejaw.com and they gave us a blanket 25% off of everything, bless their hearts, and I bought my WM Puma then. So if you live in CO (or even not), join the CMC and get you 10% off ! (shameless plug) If you are an ATC member and pay cash or use a check, Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap will give you a 10% store discount on all purchases, including WM bags. :)

trapper
12-10-2012, 17:43
i have the alpinelite....you'll love it...great bag

OldStormcrow
12-10-2012, 19:10
I was told by a retailer the company does not allow their bags to be discounted.
The store where I work had 'em marked down 30% at our one-day annual sale in September......timing is everything!

colorado_rob
12-10-2012, 20:33
Awesome snag, No name! If I didnt already own 7 bags, three of which are WM, I'd buy a summerlite at that price.

SloHiker
12-11-2012, 00:34
As previously mentioned, buy from Hermit's Hut if you end up paying retail. You'll get free shipping and if it's available - the overfill option if you choose.

Check ebay often - I've seen some pretty good discounts on new bags, i.e. a new Badger with a BIN price of less than $400.

msupple
12-13-2012, 22:18

Dang...literally a day late and many dollars short! :( Good find.

Cat in the Hat

q-tip
12-14-2012, 08:41
I have three WM bags, Kodiak, Alpinlite and Tamarak---absolutely worth the money--I did get the free overfill at Hermits Hut for the Alpinlite (to 15d), I love these bags.......

Transient Being
12-15-2012, 15:00
I must have got lucky, they were on sale for 20% off last Jan or Feb. I believe it was Backcountry.

no-name
12-15-2012, 15:42
I got the bag today. It is very nice! Looks like I can go out next weekend, probably south Pa. or Dela. Water Gap area.

Backcountry.com has another special now. 20% off any one item, but Western Mountaineering is on the exclusion list. I really did get lucky on this deal.

I hope someone else was able to get in on it.