PDA

View Full Version : Yogi Guide

RangerPhil
12-08-2012, 17:39
Quick question: Is the Yogi Guide worth getting? I'm leaning towards getting it only because of all the town information it contains. For anybody that used the guide, was it worth it to buy? Does it have information that can't be found elsewhere on the internet or by phone calling?

bamboo bob
12-08-2012, 17:52
It appears to be blasphemy not to buy and use Yogi's Guide. I found it useful as a town guide for the CD, it definitely saves a lot of time and there really is not much in the way of alternatives for the CDT. It is a very difficult task to keep such a guide updated especially for the barely used CDT. We are lucky it exists at all.

For the PCT I preferred the PCT Atlas.

Dogwood
12-08-2012, 18:36
LOL. Well which Yogi Guide are you referring to? She has ones for each of the TC trails(AT,PCT,CDT) as well as one for the CT that I'm aware of.

If it's for the AT, it's not that you can't find the info elsewhere or by learning on your own some(much)(all) of the AT beta available in her guides it's that she does the leg work for you and shares it in a one stop fashion way that's comprehensible and the least overwhelming, which can CERTAINLY be an issue with the AT because the AT probably is the MOST WELL DOCUMENTED BLAZED CONTINUOUS LONG DISTANCE TRAIL IN THE WORLD. And, I suspect she will shortly be a two time Triple Crowner, so she knows what MOST hikers MOST need in regards to hiking.

bamboo bob
12-08-2012, 20:05
I assume he's interested in the CDT since he posted on the CDT forum. No?

Dogwood
12-08-2012, 23:03
Duh. Thx BB. Missed that.

You can probably get away without it if that's all you want out of it. IMO, Yogi has the most comprehensive in town beta in any of her guides but Mags and Spirit Walker have excellent CDT resuppy beta too. SW's beta is starting to get a little older though but still offers oodles of great advice and is still relevant. Mag's and SW's beta is available on line for free. Yogi has a lot more VERY useful beta than just in town info in her CDT guidebook which Mags and SW don't offer so IMO it's a bargain at the price she offers it. I thought it helped me with my own resupplying and in town logistics by cross referencing those three sources. It actually made it logistically easier for me after reading these sources since each hiker does things a little differently with regard to CDT resupply. It helped me to customize options for my own CDT hike.

Colter
12-09-2012, 09:12
Quick question: Is the Yogi Guide worth getting? I'm leaning towards getting it only because of all the town information it contains. For anybody that used the guide, was it worth it to buy? Does it have information that can't be found elsewhere on the internet or by phone calling?

Absolutely worth it. Yogi answers important questions you haven't thought of asking yet!

BrianLe
12-09-2012, 13:06
Yogi doesn't cover the AT --- I believe that she feels that it's already well-covered by the two AT guide alternatives already out there (and I agree).

In terms of being worth it for the CDT: think about how much time, effort, and money you're putting into the endeavor. Just one key data point or idea that you didn't pick up elsewhere could offset the cost, and you're out hiking for months. For me at least, it's a complete no-brainer to get the current-year version of her guide for either PCT or CDT (I used her guides for both).

handlebar
12-09-2012, 13:20
I found Yogi's guide to be very helpful and a great time saver. She has some good, practical advice on places like Rawlins and the options from Chief Joseph Pass. Like Dogwood, I cross referenced it with Spirit Eagles (http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/cdt.html) and Mag's info that's on a sticky on the CDT forum here.