PDA

View Full Version : MLD Ark?

RodentWhisperer
12-08-2012, 17:44
I'm thinking about my next "weight reduction" (meaning "gear replacement"), and it occurred to me that I could replace my GoLite Pinnacle with Mountain Laurel Designs' Ark: practically the same total volume, but at less than half the weight. I can only find a few reviews online, though.

Does anyone have any experience with the Ark? What can you tell me about it? How did it work for you?

Perhaps I should also ask if you've any alternatives to suggest-- ULA, SMD, GG, etc.? What would be the advantages of those choices over the Ark?

bamboo bob
12-08-2012, 17:47
I got one for the CDT next spring. I like it but I have really only worn it from the den to the living room and back. I will let you know next fall if it worked out or not.

Hosaphone
12-09-2012, 02:44
It's a MLD pack modeled after the Exodus, one of the most highly regarded packs ever made. I'm sure it's fantastic. Just bear in mind that it IS a frameless pack - moreso than your Pinnacle which I believe has at least a little bit of support (but not much?).

I think the only question is whether the rest of your gear is light enough to make a frameless pack a good option.

RodentWhisperer
12-09-2012, 14:06
As far as I can tell, the Ark is something of an expanded version of the Exodus. I considered the Exodus some time ago, but after test-fitting my gear into a pack of similar volume, I decided it was too small to consider.

Not counting the weight of the pack, my BW is 8 lb 9 oz.-- for all intents and purposes, the only time I'd be up to 25 lb of TPW would be when I would be carrying 7 days of consumables (assuming that I'll only be hiking in the Spring, Summer or Fall).

Within the Pinnacle, there is a CCF back pad, with something of an hourglass shape, that fills out the pack's volume. I've considered experimenting with removal of the pad, but that seems counter-intuitive. My suspicion is that I'd need to purchase a CCF pad (maybe from GG) and reshape it to fit the Ark, as I use a NeoAir; it wouldn't work well for a brace/pack pad, IMO. Such a modification would be acceptable to me, as it would (probably) add less than 2 oz to the weight and would give me a comfy camp seat. :-)