PDA

View Full Version : Question about hiking pants

TickPicker
05-25-2005, 09:52
On a recent hike I encountered about 30 or more ticks :datz in a two day 18-20 mile distance. I used 100% deet to no avail :eek: (with the ticks). Hiked through a lot of low underbrush (waistlevel down).

Here's my question. Would some form of long pants have prevented the ticks/chiggers, etc.? And would the tradeoff be worth it in terms of heat (i.e. are there "cool" long hiking pants. :dance

TickPicker
the land of the dimpled chad

dougmeredith
05-25-2005, 10:01
I hike in light nylon pants all of the time. It is worth it to me to keep sun, bugs, and branches off my legs.

Doug

Alligator
05-25-2005, 10:05
Too hot for me. You must keep your socks on the outside of the pants, as the ticks crawl upwards, starting at your footware. Also, I am not sure DEET works on ticks/chiggers . We used Permetherin (sp?) in field classes. This stuff is nastier than DEET though and recommended only to spray on clothes, not skin, so pants would be necessary.

Sly
05-25-2005, 10:07
Exofficio make "buzz off" clothing treated with insect reppelant that supposed to work. I've been a convertible pants convert for several years now.

Buzz Off (http://www.exofficio.com/)

Footslogger
05-25-2005, 10:47
Here's my question. Would some form of long pants have prevented the ticks/chiggers, etc.? And would the tradeoff be worth it in terms of heat (i.e. are there "cool" long hiking pants. :dance
================================================== ==
1. Most likely

2. That's really up to you

I carry a pair of lightweight nylon (non zip off leg) pants with me year round when I backpack. Great for cool evenings in camp or a trip into town or just to wear while I'm doing laundry. I carry them rather than rain pants (mine weigh 8 oz). One thing you might want to consider (if you haven't already) is a pair of high gaiters. You don't need the ballistic GorTex type ...just a simple pair of water repellant nylon ones. When worn with shorts they protect your legs almost to the knee, are much cooler than the long pants and help keep debris out of your boots/shoes. If you're hiking on open trail without much brush you can loosen them at the top and push them down for better ventilation.

I hiked the entire AT in 2003 wearing shorts and gaiters (short ones in warmer months and high ones at the beginning/end of my hike) and never once had a tick issue.

'Slogger

Happypappy
05-25-2005, 11:43
On a recent hike I encountered about 30 or more ticks :datz in a two day 18-20 mile distance. I used 100% deet to no avail :eek: (with the ticks). Hiked through a lot of low underbrush (waistlevel down).

TickPicker
the land of the dimpled chad

Deet is ineffective on ticks. Permethrin, however, is deadly to them. Just be sure to treat only your clothing and not yous skin.

TOW
05-25-2005, 11:54
I'm with you sly on this subjusect, however I'm not sure about the insect repellant claim.........wanderer

Exofficio make "buzz off" clothing treated with insect reppelant that supposed to work. I've been a convertible pants convert for several years now.

Buzz Off (http://www.exofficio.com/)

Sly
05-25-2005, 12:10
I'm with you Sly on this subject, however I'm not sure about the insect repellant claim.........wanderer

Well, I'm one of those that have never been bothered by ticks so my opinion may not count. The Exoffico claim and FAQ.

YMMV...

A whole new category of performance clothing.

Put off bugs and sun with this innovative new line of apparel. Thanks to the patent-pending BUZZ OFF Insect Shield™ process, this clothing has proven to be extremely effective against mosquitoes, ticks and other annoying and potentially disease-carrying insects. A complete outfit of BUZZ OFF™ apparel by Ex Officio will enable you to enjoy the outdoors while reducing the nuisance of applying nasty insect-repellent lotions and sprays. And you'll repel more than insects. We've also included 30+ UV protection in this line.

* Odorless Insect Repellent - Highly effective against mosquitoes and ticks which may carry malaria, dengue fever, West Nile Virus, Lyme disease and encephalitis.
* Sun Protective - Many garments in the collection provide 30+ UV protection.
* Moisture Wicking - The fabrics in these garments are designed to wick moisture.
* The first insect-repellent clothing registered by the EPA.

FAQ's:

With anything this innovative, you're going to have questions.
And we have answers.

* When and where can I buy BUZZ OFF™ clothing by Ex Officio?
You can order BUZZ OFF™ insect repellent clothing directly from Ex Officio. Orders are shipping now to all states! For up-to-date information on availability of BUZZ OFF™ by Ex Officio clothing, sign up to receive our Insider Update. Check our website regularly, as we will also be announcing a list of dealers that stock BUZZ OFF™ clothing by Ex Officio.

* What is BUZZ OFF™ Insect Shield and how does it work?
BUZZ OFF™ Insect Shield Insect Repellent Apparel is a revolutionary new product that combines Permethrin, a man-made form of a natural insect repellent found in the Chrysanthemum plant, with a new patent pending process. BUZZ OFF™ apparel is the smart way to protect against annoying insects including those that can carry West Nile virus and other diseases.

* How much protection is provided by BUZZ OFF apparel?
In most cases, wearing a short sleeve BUZZ OFF shirt with BUZZ OFF shorts and socks will provide good protection. In heavily infested areas you can get increased protection by wearing a long sleeve shirt and pants.

* How do you care for the product?
BUZZ OFF™ apparel provides effective protection from insects through 25 washings. The garments should be machine-washed separately using standard laundry detergent. The garments can be ironed, starched, or pressed without any adverse effects. Do not dry clean because this removes the active ingredient.

* Is it EPA-Registered?
Following many years of extensive product testing, BUZZ OFF™ apparel has been successfully registered by the Environmental Protection Agency-the EPA. In addition, unlike traditional insect repellents, BUZZ OFF™ apparel has the benefit of being near your skin instead of on your skin.

* How does BUZZ OFF™ apparel protect you and your family?
US health professionals are concerned about a growing number of insect borne diseases such as West Nile virus, Lyme disease, Encephalitis, Dengue Fever, Yellow Fever, and Malaria. BUZZ OFF garments help prevent bites from potentially disease carrying ticks and mosquitoes. And, also protect against other annoying insects such as ants, flies, chiggers, and midges or no-see-ums.

* What about other forms of insect protection?
BUZZ OFF™ apparel is the best solution for personal insect protection. Many products which must be applied to the skin have historically raised concerns particularly if misused or overused. Others are not durable or effective. Electric insect "zappers" are estimated to kill billions of beneficial insects annually, but few mosquitoes.

* The Environment?
BUZZ OFF garments provide personal insect protection which has less environmental impact than widespread fogging or spraying of neighborhoods and is preferable to traditional insect repellents, which can wash off in the shower or stream, or sprays that might risk contaminating the atmosphere.

* Does the product have an odor?
No. BUZZ OFF Insect Shield protection is odorless, colorless and does not change the feel of the garment.

* How is the product placed onto the clothing?
The active ingredient is tightly bonded to the garment during the patent-pending BUZZ OFF™ Insect Shield process. Unlike traditional insect repellents, BUZZ OFF™ apparel puts the repellent on the clothes you wear, not on your skin.

* Why can't the product be dry-cleaned?
The reason to avoid dry cleaning is that dry cleaning removes the active ingredient which reduces the insect repellent quality of the apparel.

* Can the product be exported? To all countries?
Efforts are underway to develop registrations in other countries, each of which has different regulatory requirements. In the future we look forward to having the ability to export BUZZ OFF™ apparel to many countries.

* Which insects will it repel?
BUZZ OFF™ garments repel Mosquitoes, Ticks, Ants, Flies, Chiggers, and Midges or no-see-ums. This repellent effect has been proven through extensive testing and research. The EPA requires extensive effectiveness data to prove the product's ability to repel these insects. Many species and varieties of ticks, mosquitoes, flies, etc., have been tested.

* Can the BUZZ OFF™ Insect Shield active ingredient come off onto other clothes in the washing machine?
Although the active ingredient is tightly bound to the fibers of the fabric, small amounts can come off in the wash, such as those attached to tiny fiber fragments or dye particles. Therefore, wash BUZZ OFF™ garments separately. Read and follow the label instructions on the garment.