PDA

View Full Version : Inflatable pads - multi use!

Hosaphone
12-09-2012, 03:55
One of the greatest things I've seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRyfkRepITA&list=PLD1E9A25983353BED&index= 38

Don H
12-09-2012, 07:23
Surfs up! That looks cold!

Malto
12-09-2012, 08:38
Or he could have just walked up the east side of falls creek and crossed at any point.

Before trying that at home, that stream crossing is relatively gentle (deep but slow) he could have done the same thing by having his gear in a pack liner, putting the pack on his front and using it as a floatations ring. No way I would have used a neoair, way too fragile and prone to a stick poking a hole or worse ripping a hole. It would be a cold long night in North Yosemite without a pad.

Great video.

Hosaphone
12-09-2012, 13:50
2010 was apparently a ridiculous snow year - maybe unusual amount of snow melt made it harder? I'm not familiar with the area. In the description he wrote:

And for those of you wondering...yes we did try to hike upstream to find a place to actually ford on foot. After walking over 2 miles upstream though, we encountered a tributary that was just as deep. This is why we swam it.

TheYoungOne
12-10-2012, 23:47
I wish I had a camera to take a pic, but I seen a pre teen girl using a green therm-a-rest pad (trail lite?) as a boogie board at the Jersey Shore last summer. After seeing that I tried to my Big Agnes insulated air core as a float in my pool. My kids had no problem, but my big butt sunk it. Definately would hold up my pack above water if I needed to.

Feral Bill
12-11-2012, 00:35
See The Complete Walker IV on river crossings. This basic system goes back to ancient times. Also BRRRRR!