PDA

View Full Version : Jetboil ti v. Optimus crux terra weekend he v. Sierra ti zipstove

lucky duck
12-09-2012, 13:04
I am new to this forum and to backpacking (altho I've done a lot of wilderness canoeing--which is an entirely different ballgame equipmentwise). I've learned a lot about the lightweight gear that I need to buy for successful backpacking and I thank you regulars for all the great info.

I am trying to make a final decision on puchase of a cookstove and I've narrowed it down to the above cookstoves/kits. I think I'm leaning toward the Optimus Crux because it's less expensive than the Jetboil and it has a little larger cookpot (without an appreciable increase in weight). My question is if I run out of gas, can I in a pinch use a Esbit tablet with the cooking pot. It has a heat exchanger like on the Jet boil. The HE is thin strips of metal and I'm wondering if they would melt or distort under the high hear of an Esbit (I read that they develop 1,400 degrees F). Any thought on this?

I also have the same question with the Zipstove. In a really wet wood situation, could you drop an Esbit tablet into it and use the stove with just the Esbit without melting the stove?

Thanks so much for your input.

bfayer
12-09-2012, 17:32
Between the Crux and the Jetboil, to me, it would depend on if you want to do any real cooking. With the crux you have the lid you can use a small fry pan and the crux is a little better at simmering. You will probably want to make a cozy for the He Weekend pot, and that will add a little weight.

I love my Jetboil. But mostly I just heat water with it, if I need to actually cook I take my windpro.

I don't use wood stoves, I know some people love them, but when you need a stove the most, is when you can count on a wood stove the least. They may work for some but they are not for me.

cabbagehead
12-16-2012, 18:56
I recently invented some fishing wire suspended windscreens that could be used with the crux. It allows for a much smaller windscreen that's still efficient.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?90495-DIY-Ultralight-Canister-Stove-Windscreens&highlight=windscreen