PDA

View Full Version : Is the hiker hostel market saturated in Damascus Va

TrailTrekr
12-09-2012, 17:07
I'm looking at a B&B that's for sale in the town of Damascus Va is that area over saturated with hiker hostels do you folks think? If so where is there an area that is lacking services for hikers that would be a good place to open a hiker hostel?

eagleJ
12-09-2012, 17:19
Atkins Va. I heard they are not going to reopen HappyHikerHostel

Donde
12-09-2012, 18:02
IMHO Damascus could absolutely use a well run for profit hostel. Could be successful between the AT and the creeper trail. I for one will be looking hard for a economical alternative to The Place. Nothing against the folks trying to do a kindness there but the Place sucks. When I stayed there it was trashed by a combo of thrus and boy scouts, we had cops dropping by in the night looking for drunks/dope ( I imagine most nights they didn't have a hard time finding it either).

Rasty
12-09-2012, 18:22
IMHO Damascus could absolutely use a well run for profit hostel. Could be successful between the AT and the creeper trail. I for one will be looking hard for a economical alternative to The Place. Nothing against the folks trying to do a kindness there but the Place sucks. When I stayed there it was trashed by a combo of thrus and boy scouts, we had cops dropping by in the night looking for drunks/dope ( I imagine most nights they didn't have a hard time finding it either).

The Hikers Inn in Damascus is a very well run hostel. $25 per night bunk or $35 private room and the hostel is spotless. Lee and Paul are very nice. $5 for laundry while roaming around town was worth not wasting two hours at a laundromat. It cost me $10 not counting laundry more then I would have donated at the Place.

atmilkman
12-09-2012, 18:30
I guess it just depends on when. I was there Oct. 1st this year and it was empty and very clean.

Lone Wolf
12-09-2012, 19:50
i agree. Damascus needs a real hostel with onsite owners/caretakers.

Lone Wolf
12-09-2012, 20:26
I'm looking at a B&B that's for sale in the town of Damascus Va is that area over saturated with hiker hostels do you folks think? If so where is there an area that is lacking services for hikers that would be a good place to open a hiker hostel?

Damascus is in real need of a hiker hostel. there are 2 with virtually no services. just bunks and a shower. the Hikers Inn only has 4 bunks and a double bed. you could make pretty good money with a good hostel. a kennel for dogs with be a big plus

HikerMom58
12-09-2012, 20:28
I was wondering if you were going to give us ur opinion on this, LW... good to know! :)

Rasty
12-09-2012, 20:36
LW are there any number of bed/room restrictions to a for profit hostel in VA before you esentially become a hotel?

Lone Wolf
12-09-2012, 20:37
LW are there any number of bed/room restrictions to a for profit hostel in VA before you esentially become a hotel?

i have no idea

turtle fast
12-10-2012, 01:23
I could think of a few places where you would be the only hostel in town. Pearisburg, VA could benefit from a hostel...the only competition is the higher priced hotels. Front Royal, and Waynesboro are two other places that come to mind as well.

OzJacko
12-10-2012, 01:55
If you are in the hiking community it's easy to think there are 1000's of people wanting a facility like that.
However if you want to make money as a business you need to look more objectively.

At most about 3000 people start at Springer or Katahdin on a thru hike.
Probably not more than 2000 will ever reach Damascus each year. (I'm being generous with that figure.)
You are unlikely to get more than half of the total. Damascus is noted everywhere for being friendly and welcoming. You would have competition.
Yes there are lots of day and section hikers but mostly they start and finish in a town and don't necessarily stay at hostels.

Many hikers are "tight" and won't spend a lot of money.
Hiking season is fairly short. You and your hostel are there 12 months of the year.

In short if you want to have a profitable business you need to attract a non hiking market as well.
You may make great money during Trail Days but November to March would be pretty lean for someone relying on hikers for an income.
If you don't need the income then there is potential for a great supplement to your income.

I think I've read that Damascus is on a biking trail as well but this would not be enough I would think.

As a hiker I would welcome more choices but I think it would be remiss of us here to encourage false hope in the profitability of a hostel.

jerseydave
12-10-2012, 05:58
If you are in the hiking community it's easy to think there are 1000's of people wanting a facility like that.
However if you want to make money as a business you need to look more objectively.

Probably not more than 2000 will ever reach Damascus each year. (I'm being generous with that figure.)
You are unlikely to get more than half of the total. Damascus is noted everywhere for being friendly and welcoming. You would have competition.
Yes there are lots of day and section hikers but mostly they start and finish in a town and don't necessarily stay at hostels.

Hiking season is fairly short. You and your hostel are there 12 months of the year.

In short if you want to have a profitable business you need to attract a non hiking market as well.
You may make great money during Trail Days but November to March would be pretty lean for someone relying on hikers for an income.
If you don't need the income then there is potential for a great supplement to your income.

I think I've read that Damascus is on a biking trail as well but this would not be enough I would think.

As a hiker I would welcome more choices but I think it would be remiss of us here to encourage false hope in the profitability of a hostel.

I had considered looking at a piece of land just outside of Damascus earlier this year with the intent of possibly opening a campground/hostel.

I allowed the common sense thought process of the above statement deter me.

perrymk
12-10-2012, 07:23
I don't know much about the business side of the hospitality business so please accept this as a genuine question.

If you set up a hostel, which I gather is intended as a low cost/minimal service lodging, how do you keep out the riff raff? Personally, the reason I stay in hotels that might cost a little more is to avoid riff raff. Can one legally discriminate against tenants? Can an owner limit length of stay? What prevents the hostel from becoming a dumping ground for low lifes?

EDIT: I'll add that I've stayed in hostels and road hosues in while traveling in Alaksa. Some were better than others. Some were not places one would likely stay if one had a family.

OzJacko
12-10-2012, 07:28
I don't know much about the business side of the hospitality business so please accept this as a genuine question.

If you set up a hostel, which I gather is intended as a low cost/minimal service lodging, how do you keep out the riff raff? Personally, the reason I stay in hotels that might cost a little more is to avoid riff raff. Can one legally discriminate against tenants? Can an owner limit length of stay? What prevents the hostel from becoming a dumping ground for low lifes?
Don't know about the USA, I'll let others say, but generally the only way that "works" easily is a time limit on stay.
Having said that, "riffraff" can be the most entertaining part of your hike.

HikerMom58
12-10-2012, 07:41

EDIT: I'll add that I've stayed in hostels and road hosues in while traveling in Alaksa. Some were better than others. Some were not places one would likely stay if one had a family.

Maybe if you don't allow alcohol it would cut down on the riff raff.

Lone Wolf
12-10-2012, 08:49

prohibit alcohol and smoking and charge $20+. the riff raff will end up at "The Place" for $6 per night and be heavily monitored by myself, TOW and the police

Lone Wolf
12-10-2012, 08:50
Having said that, "riffraff" can be the most entertaining part of your hike.

really? have you thru-hiked?

bear bag hanger
12-10-2012, 08:55
The problem with trying to keep out the 'rift raff' is you never really know who the 'rift raff' are until they are at your place, messing it up. If you're going to serve the hiker community, then we all look pretty rift raffity all the time, especially after a long days hike to get there. Don't have an answer for you, I to tend to avoid hostels because of the noise that usually goes on into the wee hours of the night.

OzJacko
12-10-2012, 09:07
really? have you thru-hiked?
Not yet on the AT (under 100 days to go) but have a lot of experience with riffraff.
I didn't say "enjoyable" and I did say "can be".;)
One of the most important things with riffraff is to outnumber them. If you don't it is definitely trouble.
Alcohol ban and time limit on stay together with being not the cheapest should be enough.

TrailTrekr
12-10-2012, 09:09
I am looking at places in both Damascus and Hot Springs I think the further south I go the better the business as it is less likely to be seasonal...Hot Springs also has quite a few large events that take place in the town...trail fest...french broad river fest...bluff mountain festival and the cbarally. My plan is to run the hostel like the Teahorse Hostel in Harpers Ferry...when I stayed there it was very clean, I paid $25 a night and there was no drinking on the premises. We shall see how things play out.

HikerMom58
12-10-2012, 11:03
Good luck to you TrailTrekr... I'd love you to be close to me in Daleville VA... I would love to help you set up/run a hostel.

max patch
12-10-2012, 11:31
I could think of a few places where you would be the only hostel in town. Pearisburg, VA could benefit from a hostel...the only competition is the higher priced hotels.

I was planning on staying at one of the "expensive" hotels closer to the trail next time, but is the Church of the Holy Family Hospice still around? That was a real nice hostel back in the day.

Donde
12-10-2012, 11:42
CHF Hostel was active in 2010 I stayed there, in early April and it was excellent. Nothing too it really but a quiet clean place to sleep and shower near a wal-mart, for $10, at double the suggested donation kept me happy. It is odd that the concept is really similar to the Place but seemed to not be having the same problems. (totally anecdotal of course) Perhaps because it is a greater distance from the trail, or because it is right next door to the Church? Or maybe it does have the same problems, I wouldn't have seen them as myself and one other were the first hikers they had that season, and no one else joined us.

In Damascus I would think the Creeper Trail ( with shuttles for cyclists) would be a bigger business than hikers, and of course section hikers being a bigger business than thru's. I mean one would have to do the research and develop a plan, see if it could be profitable. I would consult with the folks at HH in Dahlonega, regarding running a for profit hostel effectively.

Seatbelt
12-10-2012, 12:15

As a section hiker, I would like to "chime in" here a little; Since I live quite a drive from the AT, I always stay at a hostels when possible. I will admit that I have been the only one their a few times. An exception might be to look at Mtn Harbour B & B/Hostel operation. I stayed there 2x this year and they told me that their business has exploded over the last two years, can't hardly keep up with it. Granted, they are in an ideal location, but they are doing something right.

OzJacko
12-11-2012, 04:34
As a section hiker, I would like to "chime in" here a little; Since I live quite a drive from the AT, I always stay at a hostels when possible. I will admit that I have been the only one their a few times. An exception might be to look at Mtn Harbour B & B/Hostel operation. I stayed there 2x this year and they told me that their business has exploded over the last two years, can't hardly keep up with it. Granted, they are in an ideal location, but they are doing something right.
"..don't necessarily stay at hostels..."
I haven't tried to make blanket statements saying "all this or all that".
I just feel it is easy for a site like this to give enthusiastic support for an idea and that support doesn't necessarily translate into "adequate" patronage for a business to be successful.
I hope the OP does make a go of something like this as I would probably patronise it but I would hope he/she does so with a good objective look at the pros and cons.
Starting a small business can be the best and worst decision someone makes. It should be a decision made largely without emotion.
Passion for a business is a big plus in its success but at the end of the day the figures have to add up.

Seatbelt
12-11-2012, 11:50
OzJacko, you are correct and I personally agree with you 100% being a small business starter/owner myself. In thinking back about my different stays at hostels, and talking to many of the owners, I have come up with a couple of observations that I hope our OP will look at.

It seems that most of the hostel owner/operators are either retired and/or have some other form of income to support them during slow periods.
The biggest single income producer seems to be the shuttle service.

Just my observation.

Grand Poobah
02-01-2013, 17:53
They were all closed up come November, along with EVERYTHING in that town. They must have forgotten people hike it south as well as north. It is the Maine to Georgia trail and all. Best trail town my butt.

Lyle
02-01-2013, 18:32

After several fairly long discussions with the owners of the Harbour House Hostel in TN, I may differ with your analysis. They both told me, on separate occasions, that they had no intention of serving hikers when they bought the place. They were looking to run a B&B. It was circumstances and the clientele that showed up on their door step and the phone calls they got that caused them to start catering to hikers. They both say that hiker services are now the bulk of their business, and if it wasn't for the hikers, there would be no business. They do offer shuttles, have plenty of secure parking, a FANTASTIC breakfast only $9 if you spend the night in either the B&B or the Hostel.

It is run as a business, and it shows.

blue blaze cafe
02-01-2013, 18:34
TrailTrekr: I hope you'll consider opening a hostel in Damascus. As a new business owner here, I can tell you that the town and the people here have been more than helpful. The environment seems to be a very positive one for new additions to better the town for everyone (remember, there are folks that live here year round too!). When you're in town, stop in and say hello to everyone at Blue Blaze Cafe, let us know how your search goes for a trailside business!

http://www.facebook.com/blueblazecafe

Grampie
02-01-2013, 18:36
Before I ventured into the hiker hostel business I would look up Miss Janet and have a talk with her. I believe that she could enlighten you on the pros and cons of the hiker hostel business.

Lyle
02-01-2013, 18:37
Did I get the name wrong? Mountain Harbour, Harbour House? Emabarassing. I really like the place. Been there several times, used their shuttle. :p

mountain squid
02-01-2013, 20:01
If so where is there an area that is lacking services for hikers that would be a good place to open a hiker hostel?I always suggest to prospective Hostel Owners to be a caretaker before purchasing any property. Spend a month or two at an already established hostel when the bulk of hikers are coming through. It shouldn't be too hard to find one in need of help. You won't make any money but it will be an eye opener and the experience you gather will be well worth it.

As you may know (or may not know) hikers are VERY demanding. There is alot more to it than just providing a service to hikers. While you are hiking yourself, thoughts about running a hostel may seem glamorous and something that you would like to do. But, after an exhausting day of shuttling hikers, here, there and everywhere, another group of hikers shows up and wonders when the next town run is . . . meanwhile, someone used the toilet that has a 'Do Not Use' sign on it, there are no more clean towels, the internet isn't working for some reason . . . etc, etc, etc . . .

After you've done some caretaking time and if you still want to do it . . . what about Harpers Ferry area. It's close to Herndon (I grew up in Sterling Park:)) and other than hikers there'd be regular tourists visiting town . . . .

Anyway, Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

maintenance videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/mountainsquid04/videos)
how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

mfleming
02-01-2013, 20:14
If I am not mistaken, Miss Janet's hostel was purely a donation based venture that sadly didn't succeed. A good lesson to heed.

Lone Wolf
02-01-2013, 21:09
If I am not mistaken, Miss Janet's hostel was purely a donation based venture that sadly didn't succeed. A good lesson to heed.

and that is why uncle johnny has been in BUSINESS for 15 years or so

Lone Wolf
02-01-2013, 21:14
i agree. Damascus needs a real hostel with onsite owners/caretakers.

Damascus is in real need of a hiker hostel. there are 2 with virtually no services. just bunks and a shower. the Hikers Inn only has 4 bunks and a double bed. you could make pretty good money with a good hostel. a kennel for dogs with be a big plus

They were all closed up come November, along with EVERYTHING in that town. They must have forgotten people hike it south as well as north. It is the Maine to Georgia trail and all. Best trail town my butt.
they're closed Cowan because neither hostel has heat. a hiker/biker hostel in town would make money if run right

Grand Poobah
02-01-2013, 21:39
they're closed Cowan because neither hostel has heat. a hiker/biker hostel in town would make money if run right

It just so happened to be right before thanksgiving and the temp was closed to 75 that afternoon. Only things open in town was one outfitter and subway. and a gas station.

topshelf
02-01-2013, 21:59
I've considered jumping in on this in the past. In Damascus or most likely in Atkins, to make the Marion/Atkins area more hiker friendly/accessible. Maybe one day way down the road.

roy_hiking
02-01-2013, 22:20
1st of all LF we are going to try to keep a caretaker at The Place so it is not just u and TOW. 2nd Damascus can use a for profit Hostel/B.B.( to keep money coming in when the hikers are not). The Owners of the Hiker Inn could give so great input to a new owner. Will have another "Hiker Hostel" preparation at the ALDHA in Oct.

roy_hiking
02-01-2013, 22:20
Add Content

peakbagger
02-14-2013, 08:38
Before you buy or build a hostel, check out what needs to be in place in order to be able to get commerical insurance. The second you charge anything, you are now held to much higher standard for life safety. There really isnt such a thing as a commercial facility being "grandfathered' from following the rules. You may be able to get insurance for a business that doesnt meet life safety code, but you pay through the nose as it opens you and the insurance company up for significantly more lawsuits. Depressingly, many of the hostels on the AT most likely dont meet life safety codes and the ones who do mandatory "donations" or charge are one lawsuit away from losing everything they own.

RED-DOG
02-14-2013, 12:19
The town of damascus isn't big enough to support the amout of Hostels,B-B, their peak season is from March to May then the rest of the year that town is dead.

Red Hat
02-14-2013, 12:35
There are several B&Bs for sale in Damascus that would make nice hostels. The most reasonable is the one Susie Montgomery is selling next door to the Hike Inn. It is listed at $235,000. Properly run, I think it could do quite well year round.

There is also a place in NC outside of Hot Springs. It is a wonderful, beautiful home owned by Fal & Hercules. Pretty sure there is a thread on WB about it.

Red Hat
02-14-2013, 12:37
They are only "dead" to springtime hikers... lots of bicyclists come to town Spring, Summer, and Fall. Then there are the SOBOs that hit town in the winter and the winter hikers.

Lone Wolf
02-15-2013, 10:49
The town of damascus isn't big enough to support the amout of Hostels,B-B, their peak season is from March to May then the rest of the year that town is dead.

you really do not know what you're talking about

Joey
02-20-2013, 22:49
My wife and I talked about in the future opening one up. Somewhere maybe near the Roans or Va. line. We would have hot meals, showers, fire ring outside with firewood, hammocks, laundry on site, nice clean beds, snacks, resupply items, and mail drops as well as UPS/Fed Ex drops/pickups and dog kennels outside if needed and transportation locally and shuttle to and from the trail. With all this, I think about $35- $40 per night ALL INCLUSIVE would be a fair price. Its a plan we are going to work on. May take a couple years but we want to do it. Not out to make a profit! We want to do it for the hikers and give them the best service they could have and I think for $40 and you have everything at your beckoning call is not a bad price! Plus, no alcohol and no smoking!

wornoutboots
02-21-2013, 00:19
I think you are asking 2 totally different questions. A B&B is totally different than a hiker hostel. The Lazy Fox in Damascus is a beautiful B&B & several hikers use it every year. The difference is the clientele for a B&B will be couples (with money) for 3 seasons vs a Hostel will be a handful of thru's with money in the nobo & sobo seasons. As far as how busy you can be will depend on your marketing strategy. I personally stay at a 1/2 dozen B&B's a year & Damascus has a ton to offer with the creeper & nearby Grayson Highlands. Damascus doesn't have much to offer in the food range for B&B types but if you can offer dinner as well as breakfasts, it could be a hit. You'll just have to be creative & build a reputation if Damascus is where you want to be. Good Luck!

wornoutboots
02-21-2013, 00:22
Another factor is the high dollar cost of buying a current B&B v/s the lower costs for an older home & turning it into a hostel. All depending on the zoning in Damascus, if there is such a thing in Damascus :D

Red Hat
02-21-2013, 10:34
The house I referred to is an older house and would make a great hostel. It is right next door to the Hike Inn, which operates both as a B&B and a hostel. It is the best price I have seen in Damascus for a good while...

Red Hat
02-21-2013, 10:38
My wife and I talked about in the future opening one up. Somewhere maybe near the Roans or Va. line. We would have hot meals, showers, fire ring outside with firewood, hammocks, laundry on site, nice clean beds, snacks, resupply items, and mail drops as well as UPS/Fed Ex drops/pickups and dog kennels outside if needed and transportation locally and shuttle to and from the trail. With all this, I think about $35- $40 per night ALL INCLUSIVE would be a fair price. Its a plan we are going to work on. May take a couple years but we want to do it. Not out to make a profit! We want to do it for the hikers and give them the best service they could have and I think for $40 and you have everything at your beckoning call is not a bad price! Plus, no alcohol and no smoking!

$40 is what Rambunny was charging for her Hostel in Atkins. Don't think she is still open, but her place stayed full when it was. If meals (breakfast and dinner) are included you may be okay at that price, but $20 if more like it without.

wornoutboots
02-21-2013, 12:11
The house I referred to is an older house and would make a great hostel. It is right next door to the Hike Inn, which operates both as a B&B and a hostel. It is the best price I have seen in Damascus for a good while...

Gotcha, Great Location, right on the main drag. Good Luck!!

Jeff
02-21-2013, 14:13
$40 is what Rambunny was charging for her Hostel in Atkins. Don't think she is still open, but her place stayed full when it was. If meals (breakfast and dinner) are included you may be okay at that price, but $20 if more like it without.

And Rambunny's meals were outstanding...and pretty much AYCE.

RED-DOG
02-21-2013, 15:43
Really Lone Wolf i don't know what i am talking about, i have been in Damascus every season out of the year and the only time that town isn't dead is during Thru-Hiker season, the rest of the year it's DEAD.

Lone Wolf
02-21-2013, 17:31
Really Lone Wolf i don't know what i am talking about, i have been in Damascus every season out of the year and the only time that town isn't dead is during Thru-Hiker season, the rest of the year it's DEAD.thru-hiker season is basically april and may. 2 months. march through november is crowded with Creeper trail riders, section hikers, long distance bicyclers and southbound hikers. you don't know what you're talkin' about

strnorm
02-21-2013, 18:02
what do you consider riff raff????

kayak karl
02-21-2013, 18:09
people that think rules are for other people.

max patch
02-21-2013, 18:10
Depressingly, many of the hostels on the AT most likely dont meet life safety codes and the ones who do mandatory "donations" or charge are one lawsuit away from losing everything they own.

Same thing can be said about people who charge for shuttles and don't carry the required extra insurance to do so.

Lone Wolf
02-21-2013, 18:57

hiker pukes that wanna stay in town but not pay for it but will party at bars and drink and use drugs in the hostel

Rasty
02-21-2013, 19:53
Really Lone Wolf i don't know what i am talking about, i have been in Damascus every season out of the year and the only time that town isn't dead is during Thru-Hiker season, the rest of the year it's DEAD.thru-hiker season is basically april and may. 2 months. march through november is crowded with Creeper trail riders, section hikers, long distance bicyclers and southbound hikers. you don't know what you're talkin' about

Is it quiet because what looks like 400 to 500 bicycles are being rented each day? That was the most bike rental places I have ever seen. The down town space may be quiet because everyone is riding the trails instead of shopping. I really like Damascus from what I have seen.

HikerMom58
02-21-2013, 19:56
Is it quiet because what looks like 400 to 500 bicycles are being rented each day? That was the most bike rental places I have ever seen. The down town space may be quiet because everyone is riding the trails instead of shopping. I really like Damascus from what I have seen.

Riding the Creeper Trail is a "must do" while near Damascus! I flipped off my bike after coming off a bridge... *embarrassing*

Joey
02-21-2013, 22:01
Should be good then when we ever get it off the ground!! Wife is one hell of a cook and owned her own restaurant for years! I think we would get advice from numerous hikers on prices. But it would be alot of amenities available for the $40. But its in the discussion stages at this time. This is a near future project we have in mind