PDA

View Full Version : Trail Conditions Between Front Royal and Harpers Ferry

Debbie
12-09-2012, 21:37
Has anyone been on this section lately? Is there snow accumulation? Blowdowns? Water availability?

juma
12-17-2012, 09:13
haven't been there lately but have been to shenandoah NP, so based on that and general knowledge of water sources in that section, I'd say there is no snow to speak of. probably some blowdowns. The large creeks are still flowing well while springs generally are low flow or dry. there are flowing creeks in every section until blackburn trail center. from blackburn on I doubt you'll see any flowing water.

Studlintsean
12-17-2012, 14:02
Has anyone been on this section lately? Is there snow accumulation? Blowdowns? Water availability?

Debbie- There is no slow accumulation in this section. I did a very small section this weekend (Bear's Den North and Back) to try out a new pack and a new sleeping bag and the water situation was fine (water available at each place identified on my map). Keep me posted if you do this section next week and if available, I still might try to join for a night or two.

Blissful
12-17-2012, 22:33
Too warm for snow. We've had none.

Debbie
12-18-2012, 20:39
Thanks for the encouraging info, folks. Hopefully Draco will not change things too much.

mhurley
12-18-2012, 22:25
I did 522 to Ashby Gap about a week after Sandy. Most of the blowdowns had already been cleared. Water was plentiful.