PDA

View Full Version : purificup? This thing can't possibly be real

squirrely
12-09-2012, 23:43
WAtch the first video. This thing cannot possibly be for real.

http://www.hikingthetrail.com/2012/09/gear-review-purificup-filtration-system/

T.S.Kobzol
12-10-2012, 00:09
11 gallons and you have to change the filter for $15 + shipping and handling.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

squirrely
12-10-2012, 00:32
All expense aside, I just mean that there is no way it actually works that well.

wcgornto
12-10-2012, 00:37
So .... you nest your clean water cup inside your dirty water cup for storage ????

Different Socks
12-10-2012, 01:21
Only works well if water is clear. Too many places out west along a trail where that may not be the source. I can recall on the CDT on NM many places i got water was from cattle tanks and I used a PUR Hiker and still do.

squirrely
12-10-2012, 01:24
I'd have a hard time trusting it

bear bag hanger
12-10-2012, 09:07
As best I can see from the videos, it's just like any other gravity filter, but with considerable less capacity, plus the problem of storing your 'clean' cup inside your 'dirty' cup. Looks like it would take forever to fill two or three one liter bottles.

hikingthetrail
12-10-2012, 14:05
It is Indeed real. I took two to large handfuls of potting soil into a cup full of water let it sit for a few minutes and then filtered it out and the video is the direct result. No fancy camera angles no edits. The video you see is the raw footage taken with my phone.

hikingthetrail
12-10-2012, 14:14
I have been using this filter now for several months on my backcountry adventures and I do not actually use the smaller cup. I connect it directly to my various water bottles and can fill them up much quicker than any pump on the market. It is a gravity filter and uses a patentedfilter system which uses silver to help eliminate the germs. You can find out more info on the Purificup website (http://purificup.com/index.php/faq) about their technology. The filter will not filter as much as the pumps or even the squeeze bags but you will not get the same taste out of the water as you get from the Purificup. Also keep in mind that this product is not created for the Appalachian Trail thru-hiker. The product is more geared towards car campers, family campers, peppers, RTW travelers or even business people who travel to places where the water is questionable at best.

Feral Bill
12-10-2012, 14:43
1. That looks painfully slow.

2. Crystal clear does not mean safe to drink.

max patch
12-10-2012, 14:55
Also keep in mind that this product is not created for the Appalachian Trail thru-hiker. The product is more geared towards car campers, family campers, peppers, RTW travelers or even business people who travel to places where the water is questionable at best.

At 11 gallons per filter thats pretty obvious. I also agree with the comments about it being s-l-o-w.

My old First Need could filter out food coloring added to water which I thot was pretty impressive. Its replacement, one of the PUR models, could not.

Odd Man Out
12-10-2012, 15:13
I would trust it more if their documentation was more careful in their use of technical language and more complete. Most of the text is ambiguous about removing pathogens by filtration vs killing pathogens with silver (not the same). It seems that it is doing both, but the descriptions are not clear. What is the difference between the "TAP Water Purifier"and the "Natural Water Purifier"? What is "TAP" water? Is that the same as tap water? What about viruses? Important to consider if marketing to world travelers. Also, they misspelled pH (ug).

In contrast, I am much more comfortable reading through the technical info and test results presented on the Sawyer web page.
http://www.sawyer.com/tech-water.html