PDA

View Full Version : Ever hear of ghosts on the trail

TNjed
12-10-2012, 08:47
I was at this shelter once, I believe it was Moreland gap, you know just up the trail from kincora. It was just about dark and cold man, I was in my puffy jacket and had a fire going. It was just about dark, I mean like 20 minutes from pitch black. Like I say it was cold, this guy walks up in shorts and a t shirt saying he was hiking up the trail, I said "where you headed?" he just kept saying up the trail, up the trail. Now I know people don't really tell other people where they're going all the time but I talked to my buddy who came from the direction he was hiking and he said he never saw him. (I was waiting for him at the shelter, I was faster that day). He got there about 5 minutes after I saw this guy. Now I'm not saying he was a ghost but that was weird. It's pretty thick up there, meaning if he pitched a tent I think you would see it from the trail, right? Anybody ever hear or see of weird things on the trail?

kayak karl
12-10-2012, 08:49
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?88510-Ghost-on-the-AT&highlight=ghosts

psyculman
12-11-2012, 06:33
http://www.outdoors.org/publications/appalachia/2009/slamming-doors.cfm

Lots of lore about the AMC Lake of the Clouds hut, and other high Presidential areas, including one of the NH public TV 'Windows on the Wild' episodes.

It might be episode #205. http://www.nhptv.org/productions/windowstothewild/prg_desc.asp

Velvet Gooch
12-11-2012, 07:17
I can teach you how to turn hitchhikers into ghosts. I’m just five hitchhikers away from a free sundae at Baskin-Robbins.

Another Kevin
12-11-2012, 10:01
There are a few sites in Harriman/Bear Mountain that have Washington Irving stories associated with them (Bald Mountain and the Dunderberg, at least), but the Trail swings a few miles north of them. If you're not a purist, blue-blazing (well, more like red-disc-on-white, blue-square-on-white, '1777' historic marker, etc...) over to them doesn't even add very many miles because you can come up to Bear Mountain from the south as well as the west. Harriman's an interesting area, because it's so disturbed - it had heavy logging, farming, mining, and smelting. You come across ruins everywhere, and over my life it's been fascinating to see the slow, slow process of Mother Nature taking it back. And the ruins all have stories, only a few of which involve ghosts.

TheYoungOne
12-11-2012, 15:24
I was at this shelter once, I believe it was Moreland gap, you know just up the trail from kincora. It was just about dark and cold man, I was in my puffy jacket and had a fire going. It was just about dark, I mean like 20 minutes from pitch black. Like I say it was cold, this guy walks up in shorts and a t shirt saying he was hiking up the trail, I said "where you headed?" he just kept saying up the trail, up the trail. Now I know people don't really tell other people where they're going all the time but I talked to my buddy who came from the direction he was hiking and he said he never saw him. (I was waiting for him at the shelter, I was faster that day). He got there about 5 minutes after I saw this guy. Now I'm not saying he was a ghost but that was weird. It's pretty thick up there, meaning if he pitched a tent I think you would see it from the trail, right? Anybody ever hear or see of weird things on the trail?

Guy hikes past you and the shelter, and kept on going. Then he realized he had to go to the bathroom. He hiked off the trail to find a private spot, and your friend hiked past him when he was taking care of business.

Either that happened or maybe it was ghost.

mountainman
12-11-2012, 20:45
I thought I saw one one night but it was my shadow.

RED-DOG
12-12-2012, 09:54
I stayed at the Punchbowl Shelter in VA and its Haunted by Little Ottie Powell i actually saw his Ghost during my Thru-hike in 2006.

Velvet Gooch
12-12-2012, 13:35

So you quickly hike a mile or so up the trail only to find him nowhere in sight.

As you shrug and turn to hike back to the shelter, he's standing right behind you. The woods are suddenly quiet. His eyes are wriggling masses of wasp larvae. He outstretches his arms, each of which are over five feet in length. His mouth opens inexplicably wide, his lower jaw touching his sternum. The only sound he emits from his gaping mouth are the furiously pecking keystrokes of ten hundred cyberhikers trolling.

Before he pulls you into that black, cavernous throat of his, you have time to scream,

"WHITEBLAAAAAAAAZE!!"

Gray Blazer
12-12-2012, 13:50
So you quickly hike a mile or so up the trail only to find him nowhere in sight.

As you shrug and turn to hike back to the shelter, he's standing right behind you. The woods are suddenly quiet. His eyes are wriggling masses of wasp larvae. He outstretches his arms, each of which are over five feet in length. His mouth opens inexplicably wide, his lower jaw touching his sternum. The only sound he emits from his gaping mouth are the furiously pecking keystrokes of ten hundred cyberhikers trolling.

Before he pulls you into that black, cavernous throat of his, you have time to scream,

"WHITEBLAAAAAAAAZE!!"

You've met Baltimore Jack, too?!?!

10-K
12-12-2012, 15:30
Uh... there is no such thing as a 'ghost".... Or demons/angels/vampires/werewolves/pixies/elves/fairies/etc/etc/etc/....

:)

fins1838
12-12-2012, 15:55
Actually saw what people call "orbs" at The Washington Monument in MD. Took about 20 pictures of & around the monument (about 10 minutes before total darkness) & the orbs were in more than 1/2the pictures. And I don't really care who believes me or not. I'm not saying they're ghosts but some people believe they are.

MDSection12
12-12-2012, 16:04
Actually saw what people call "orbs" at The Washington Monument in MD. Took about 20 pictures of & around the monument (about 10 minutes before total darkness) & the orbs were in more than 1/2the pictures. And I don't really care who believes me or not. I'm not saying they're ghosts but some people believe they are.

Did you see the orbs with the naked eye or just in the photos? Orbs with the naked eye is very interesting to me. I wouldn't jump to the 'supernatural' conclusion, but I wouldn't call you crazy either... They do happen. Orbs showing up in photos, especially in diminishing light, is not interesting to me though. They're artifacts of the imaging process.

Pedaling Fool
12-12-2012, 17:11
I don't believe in anything paranormal or supernatural; I believe it's all explainable. Of course parallel universes use to be seen as complete hokum and in the realm of the supernatural that only paranormal freaks believed in.

TheYoungOne
12-13-2012, 11:15
I stayed at the Punchbowl Shelter in VA and its Haunted by Little Ottie Powell i actually saw his Ghost during my Thru-hike in 2006.

I was curious, so I had to google Ottie Powell. What a sad story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottie_Cline_Powell

Storm
12-13-2012, 13:05
Heard voices in the middle of the night while camping south of Fontana. Found out next morning a couple guys had set up camp late a couple hundred yards from me. Sound does carry.

Omaha_Ace
01-03-2013, 11:15
Any paranormal activity reports / history in the Georgia section? I'll be hiking it in September 2013 and am the founder of a paranormal investigation team in Nebraska - www.nevermoreomaha.org (http://www.nevermoreomaha.org) Twitter: @NevermoreOmaha - If there are some solid reports I suppose I could spare a few ounces and hike in a KII EMF meter and a digital audio recorder :D

Papa D
01-03-2013, 11:25
once upon a time, there was a fake thru-hiker named, "Ghost" - - he would sign shelter registers but only a couple who pulled the ruse ever "saw" him - - pretty funny for a while -- "hey, Ghost says you might catch him today" "What, you didn' see him, he was just here"

gizzy bear
01-03-2013, 11:25
Any paranormal activity reports / history in the Georgia section? I'll be hiking it in September 2013 and am the founder of a paranormal investigation team in Nebraska - www.nevermoreomaha.org (http://www.nevermoreomaha.org) Twitter: @NevermoreOmaha - If there are some solid reports I suppose I could spare a few ounces and hike in a KII EMF meter and a digital audio recorder :D

we will be hiking the Hundred Mile Wilderness around the end of august...i would like to ask that ALL paranormal activity, camp in the southern section of the AT during august AND september...kanx

RCBear
01-03-2013, 15:44
we will be hiking the Hundred Mile Wilderness around the end of august...i would like to ask that ALL paranormal activity, camp in the southern section of the AT during august AND september...kanx

Don't worry Gizzy, most apparitions are ultralighters and will most likely "blow" right by us!

moldy
01-03-2013, 17:44
I don't know if anyone ever told you this but, ghosts are not real. They are like angles, santa and the easter bunny.