PDA

View Full Version : Benton Mackaye Trail through the Smokys

tucker0104
12-10-2012, 09:58
Has anyone out there hiked the benton mackaye trail throught the smokys? I am thinking about doing a loop the the BMT and AT. Just have some questions. Thanks.

rhjanes
12-10-2012, 10:32
Paging Sgt Rock.

CLICK THIS (http://bmtguide.com/) for the BMT trail guide

Furlough
12-10-2012, 16:26
If SGT Rock does not chime in try his site at http://hikinghq.net/ . He'll have a wealth of info for you.

generoll
12-10-2012, 19:37
try hiking the BMT from Smokemont to Davenport Gap, then south on the AT to Pecks Corner, then down to Smokemont. A nice loop and right back to your car without backtracking.

blue indian
12-10-2012, 19:54
Generoll, do you have any more info on this loop? It sounds interesting

generoll
12-10-2012, 23:34
There are several options to do this loop or a similar one. You can start and finish from the Smokemont Campground and hike out to the Enloe Creek Trail and then follow this gorge past campsite #47 which is Enloe Creek and then on through Round Bottom and then up to Laurel Gap Shelter which is on the Balsam Mtn Trail. This is one of two shelters on the BMT and doesn't really have a lot going for it. Oh wait, I think they did a remodel on that. Might be nice. From here you can either go up and over Mt. Sterling to the end of the BMT at Big Creek Ranger Station or turn off the BMT after Laurel Gap Shelter and proceed on directly to the AT the junction trail north of Tri-Corner Knob Shelter. If you want to complete the BMT to its' northern terminus then you can do a couple of mile road walk to Davenport Gap and pick up the AT there. In any case you take a side trail to Pecks Corner off the AT and you can continue on that trail past Pecks Corner and take any of several trails right back to Smokemont.

SonrisaJo
12-11-2012, 11:23
I just finished the BMT 10 days ago (southbound) and loved the Smokies section, even though I did it in post-Sandy snow. The shelter (Laurel Gap) is as lovely a shelter as any in the Smokies, although when I encountered it there was a lot of horse crap around it. The BMT trails through the Smokies were generally well-maintained and easy to follow, but of course bring a map. So many loop options -- have fun!!

Hitchin' Post
12-11-2012, 12:44
I did the AT/BMT Smokies loop a few years back. People yell at me when I say the AT part was better, but that's just me. I'd recommend starting at Fontana or Davenport Gap and doing the BMT section first so you can end your hike with the terrific AT views instead of starting with them. I might have enjoyed the BMT better that way. Also, I totally agree with SonrisaJo about the horse crap.

tucker0104
12-14-2012, 11:05
I have done the AT through the smokys in 3 days 2 years ago. Did it south to north. I was beat afterwards.

Don H
12-14-2012, 11:08
Is the BMT an option for thru-hikers wanting to avoid the new fees?

Do horseback riders pay the fee too?

SonrisaJo
12-14-2012, 11:19

The new fees will apply to anyone in the backcountry, as far as I understand. I wonder if they will apply to horses in addition to people. People, at least in theory, bury their poop.

Pedaling Fool
12-14-2012, 11:28
I thought I heard something about some kind of exemption for horseback riders, but can't remember the specifics...Maybe someone will look it up, I would, but I gotta go chop some wood now...

moytoy
12-14-2012, 15:28

Technically, hiking the BMT is not through hiking the AT so you may not qualify for the $20 hike thru fee. You may be required to pay the $4 per night fee.

Pedaling Fool
12-14-2012, 16:08
Technically, hiking the BMT is not through hiking the AT so you may not qualify for the $20 hike thru fee. You may be required to pay the $4 per night fee. I don't think thru-hiking the park applies just to the AT, as long as you start 50 miles before and after the park you can go thru via any trail, but I'm guessing. Sgt Rock thru'd via the BMT, he can better answer the question.

moytoy
12-15-2012, 04:24
I don't think thru-hiking the park applies just to the AT, as long as you start 50 miles before and after the park you can go thru via any trail, but I'm guessing. Sgt Rock thru'd via the BMT, he can better answer the question.
That would make sense. The new rules for fees have not been published yet as far as I know. As far as the OP question I'm surprised Sgt. Rock hasn't posted here. I've not done any of the BMT north of Hazel Creek so I'm not much help.

rmitchell
12-15-2012, 22:41
I just finished the BMT 10 days ago (southbound) and loved the Smokies section, even though I did it in post-Sandy snow. The shelter (Laurel Gap) is as lovely a shelter as any in the Smokies, although when I encountered it there was a lot of horse crap around it. The BMT trails through the Smokies were generally well-maintained and easy to follow, but of course bring a map. So many loop options -- have fun!!

Are there any difficult creek fords in the Smokies section?

10-K
12-16-2012, 07:47
I forget exactly how many but on the Smokies map there are a few that are listed as "most difficult and potentially dangerous".

I can attest to Noland Creek being pretty scary. I caught it a few days after a rain and come very close to getting knocked down.

brian039
12-16-2012, 11:42
Bring some shoes to cross creeks with unless you don't mind having wet socks and hiking shoes, there are numerous unbridged stream crossings. The trail can also be overgrown in spots which can be slightly annoying. I also didn't care for the Lakeshore Trail section (boring) but I did see a bear. Overall a decent hike, the section around Mt Sterling Ridge being the highlight. The AT is a much better hike through the Smokies so maybe save it for finishing out the loop.