PDA

View Full Version : GPS watch??

CentralVaAt
12-10-2012, 11:09
I'm interested in getting a GPS watch to use while hiking. I know it's not something I need, I just think it would interesting to see how much distance I've covered/have left to cover while hiking. The main concern I have is battery life. Most GPS watches have to be recharged daily when being used in GPS mode, right? I sometimes hike for a week at a time, so this would be an issue. Anyone else use a gps watch for multi day trips? Suggestions? Thanks!

jburgasser
12-10-2012, 14:16
I use a Garmin Forerunner 305. It lasts about 2 full days (8:00 am to 4-5 pm) and poops out about halfway through the 3rd day. My 1st year sectioning I just used it while it lasted. The 2nd year I spent my 1st night at Walasi-Yi (Mountain Crossings in Georgia) and recharged it; getting 1 extra day of use. Last year a friend who also has a Garmin went with and we used his for the 1st couple days then mine, and recharged overnight at Nantahala Outdoor Center. So look for a hostel about midway through your hike and you'll be good to go!

Happy hiking!! Ickybod

fcoulter
12-10-2012, 22:00
I had heard that GPS watches aren't as accurate and don't lock on as quickly as handheld units. Something about the small antenna.

Is this wrong?

colorado_rob
12-10-2012, 23:04
I had heard that GPS watches aren't as accurate and don't lock on as quickly as handheld units. Something about the small antenna.

Is this wrong? Yep. My garmin Foretrex watch GPS is by far the most accurate GPS unit I've owned. It will last about 16 hours, maybe two days of hiking on a fresh set of Lithium batteries.

jburgasser
12-11-2012, 09:10

Is this wrong?

I can't compare with a handheld device, but accuracy is perfect. I run with my Garmin 305 (it is a runner's watch) and it is right on the money with distances over known courses. It takes less a minute to lock on to a signal when I turn it on, in my neighborhood or in the woods.

Ickybod

fcoulter
12-11-2012, 10:56
Thanks for the update. It's always a good thing when I can find that one of my preconcieved notions were wrong.

R1ma
12-11-2012, 11:32
Yep, battery time will be the biggest problem. My 405 might last 1.5 days. They will charge via USB though if you plan on having some kind of USB battery pack.

The newish Garmin Fenix is supposed to record for 50 hours on a charge.

You could also use a smart phone (like an Android running MyTracks), but you might get 8-10 hours, depending on the phone, so worse than a watch.

colorado_rob
12-11-2012, 11:37
By the way, the Foretrex 401 uses two AAA batteries, no recharging required, just swap 'em out. I would think 4 sets of two, 8 total batteries would last 1 week of hiking, as long as you diligently turn the thing off at camp; easy to forget to do! I wish it had a "time-out" power saving feature, like if it detects you haven't moved in a couple hours, it would turn itself off. The 401 does not do this. Anyway, nice little watch-GPS. I basically use the odometer feature, and occasionally navigate with it. The cheaper 301 has the same features as the 401, but without a separate barometric altimeter.

CarlZ993
12-11-2012, 15:23
+1 for a Foretrex. Mine is a 301. Used it a lot. Normally, I keep it off when I hike. This past summer, I kept it on while on a Boy Scout Canoe trip in Bisset, Canada to see how far we paddled/portaged each day. I seem to recall the batteries lasting about 2 1/2 days or so. Plug in some new ones and off you went.

cabots
08-15-2013, 07:51
I am using Polar FT1. It was my first GPS watch which was gifted by my father. Still it's working perfectly and it shows accurate details.

Wise Old Owl
08-15-2013, 09:04

Is this wrong?

They may have improved since then - the antennas have gone several improvements since the early 315.

JustaTouron
08-15-2013, 10:31
I use a Garmin Forerunner 305. It lasts about 2 full days (8:00 am to 4-5 pm) and poops out about halfway through the 3rd day. My 1st year sectioning I just used it while it lasted. The 2nd year I spent my 1st night at Walasi-Yi (Mountain Crossings in Georgia) and recharged it; getting 1 extra day of use. Last year a friend who also has a Garmin went with and we used his for the 1st couple days then mine, and recharged overnight at Nantahala Outdoor Center. So look for a hostel about midway through your hike and you'll be good to go!

Happy hiking!! Ickybod

Couple of questions:

1) Can you do the turn it on getting a reading on your location, turn it off hour later turn it back on for a few minutes to extend the batteries?

2) Are the batteries easily replaceable? E.g. could you buy a set or two of extra batteries and recharge all the sets in town and then have battery life for 6 days instead of 2.

Sly
08-15-2013, 11:26
Mapping GPS is way cooler!

colorado_rob
08-15-2013, 11:33
Couple of questions:

1) Can you do the turn it on getting a reading on your location, turn it off hour later turn it back on for a few minutes to extend the batteries?

2) Are the batteries easily replaceable? E.g. could you buy a set or two of extra batteries and recharge all the sets in town and then have battery life for 6 days instead of 2. Not sure about the 305, but the Garmin Fortrex 301/401 series use two AAA batteries, obviously easily replaceable and fairly light to carry many extras. And yes, for maximum life, turn it off when not using it... it only takes a couple minutes to turn on and lock on to the GPS birds. Turned on all the time I get about 15 hours, nearly two days of hiking per set.

Be careful though... the initial lock is sometimes sketchy, give it enough time to lock on well (3 minutes?). Make sure you have a relatively clear view to the south-ish. Light tree cover is fine, but very dense forest or a large rock outcropping just to the south of you can block the coverage.

jburgasser
08-15-2013, 12:54
Couple of questions:

2) Are the batteries easily replaceable? E.g. could you buy a set or two of extra batteries and recharge all the sets in town and then have battery life for 6 days instead of 2. I always turn it on when we start to hike. In a minute or so, it has satellite lock and away we go. As soon as we start hiking I turn on the tripmeter then turn off (turn off the tripmeter) at breaks and at the end of the day. I power down the watch when we get to our next camp for the evening. There is some mapping technology on the watch that I've never used, or even bothered to figure out. After all it is primarily a running watch. As far as the batteries go...there are none. It is rechargeable and sits in a small cradle attached to a cord to a wall outlet. So if you come across some electricity during your hike you can charge it up. Sorry about the lack of paragraphs in my answer. For some reason my computer doesn't respond to the 'enter' key to start a new paragraph on WB. Happy Hiking!! Ickybod

moytoy
08-15-2013, 23:01
This is the sports car of gps watches. http://www.rei.com/product/857855/suunto-ambit2-gps-multifunction-heart-rate-monitor
50 hour battery life in GPS mode. 30 days in watch mode.

Shutterbug
08-15-2013, 23:33
I'm interested in getting a GPS watch to use while hiking. I know it's not something I need, I just think it would interesting to see how much distance I've covered/have left to cover while hiking. The main concern I have is battery life. Most GPS watches have to be recharged daily when being used in GPS mode, right? I sometimes hike for a week at a time, so this would be an issue. Anyone else use a gps watch for multi day trips? Suggestions? Thanks!

I have the Garmin Fenix. With the full GPS turned on, the battery last only a day; however, it doesn't take much to recharge it. For multi-day hikes, I take a Flash Charger along. One Flash Charger will keep the Fenix going for a week or more. http://www.nomorerack.com/daily_deals/view/525339-2_pack__2600mah_flash_chargers_for_mobile_devices_ __assorted_colors