PDA

View Full Version : Origin of your trail name?

Spirit Bear
12-10-2012, 11:27
I am not a thru hiker, only a section hiker and really new to the AT community, my first hike was in January of 2012, just a small hike up to Big Cedar mountain from Woody gap in Georgia. Since then I have hiked nearly 130 miles of the AT from day hikes to 4 day section hikes. I am planning on doing a thru hike in 2014 at age 42.

My trail name

I have a fear of bears and this summer alone I encountered 6 bears, I am no longer afraid of bears, my last test was this past October I did an overnight hike and at dusk sitting by my fire I saw a large bear walk about 30 yards from me heading right towards my food bag. I stood up and yelled, hey bear where are you going, don't think about trying to get my food, it is well hung, the PCT method you know, don't even waste your time. The bear froze in his tracks looked at me and swayed his head back and forth then ran off down the hill.

I went back to hanging out by my fire then eventually went to bed knowing that I am no longer afraid of black bears.

Spirit Bear is a rare white black bear that is only found in a remote section of British Columbia I believe. I was watching a show on National geographic about their top 10 photographs of 2012 and one of them were titled spirit bear. At that point my girlfriend said that's your trail name, spirit bear and it has stuck since.

National geographic photo of the white black bear known as Spirit bears...

http://s.ngm.com/2011/08/kermode-bear/img/kermode-bear-615.jpg

Some other names that never stuck...
Credit Score (when asked why I am holding out on thru hiking I said I have to get my bills in order so someone suggested credit score
Suckerfish-I am a consultant who specializes in consulting financial advisors so a buddy gave me the name suckerfish one day after I was ranting about how meaningless my job is and how I suck off the sharks in the financial world just to survive.
The Boss-Someone said I looked like Bruce Springsteen one day on the trail; I had a red bandana on at the time.

How did you get your name?

I know some names are less of an interesting story than others but still would love to hear...

Spirit Bear
12-10-2012, 11:31
Oirigin of your Trail Name, so sorry for spelling. Anyone know how to edit a post?

HikerMom58
12-10-2012, 12:23
No worries.. we all have trouble spelling around here. Cool story. My trail name story is rather boring compared to ur's for sure. btw... I enjoyed reading ur's and the pic is gr8.

My trail name is Angel. Other proposed names are Mother Hen & Spanish Inquisition but Angel has been the one to really stick. Angel is because after my daughter hiked 1/4 of the trail and was setting out to do another 1/4, I became fully aware of what trail angel's do for hikers. I said to myself, when I grow up I want to be a trail angel... LOL! ;) I love meeting new people & I love helping people plus I felt like I had a lot of trail magic to pay forward. Then, when I actually got out on the trail, myself, to hike, it was a natural name to call myself on the trail. Even on the trail, I found myself helping out other fellow hikers in need, at the time, and all they could say was, "Thank you,you're an angel" so I knew it was the right name for me. I'm sure other people could come up with less flattering names to call me, at times, but I think I'll hang on to this one. ;)

Starchild
12-10-2012, 12:38
Mine came when I decided I want to become part of the AT hiking community, I was inspired to go to the AT and ask the AT itself if I would be accepted. I chose the closest point to my home and went, as I approached that spot I started asking if the AT would accept me into the community, and kept asking as I got closer I spoke words not of me, while not exact as i forget the exact words it was 'yes I fully accept you and welcome you, as a parent names their new born child I give you the name Starchild' and for the next 2 days the name Starchild was echoing though my mind.

At that time I also had visions of what is best described as a intersteller AT that our AT is only a part of, a path that angels travel from star to star as we travel the AT, and is they who are good intention behind all the good that one may experience including the blessings that inspire and empower real life trail angels.

Peace

WILLIAM HAYES
12-10-2012, 12:46
trail name is hillbilly i got my name from my priest on the very first day I hiked the AT i was great going downhill but kinda sucked going up .My first name is Bill so he started calling me Hillbilly and it has been my trail name for years-I dont particularly care that much for the name but it has stuck over the years.
GO DAWGS

Hikes in Rain
12-10-2012, 13:40
Mine's pretty self explanitory. I'm a section hiker, and when I get the chance to go, it's now a ten our drive to where I last got off the trail, with a limited amount of time to enjoy hiking. So I can't allow myself to be delayed by mere meteorological events! I seem to have an uncanny ability to "call the rain".

GoldenBear
12-10-2012, 13:50
It's the nickname of my college team.

I once posted that my wife is "a free shuttle, with benefits" -- a description she loved.
Her "trail" name is now "Shuttle."

atmilkman
12-10-2012, 14:16

I once posted that my wife is "a free shuttle, with benefits" -- a description she loved.
That's also what my wife is. Her name is Shuttle Shellie. She specializes in the Pinhoti. There's not a trailhead that she can't get to in less than 2 hours.

HikerMom58
12-10-2012, 14:37

I'm sure there are prob. more than one GoldenBear out there but I have always wondered if you are the GoldenBear that my daughter speaks about meeting when she was out on the trail in 2008. Her trail name was Strange Habit. She mentioned getting a shuttle ride with you for a resupply. Anyway, she thought a lot of the GoldenBear she met on the trail. If you aren't the one, ur name has a great reputation. :)

Old Hiker
12-10-2012, 14:44
I'm old. I hike. <sigh> Highly original, I know. Given by my Scouts, lo, these many years ago.

CarlZ993
12-10-2012, 16:18
Mine is 'Z-man.' A nickname I had in the Army (many years ago). If someone gets lazy, I'll also answer to 'Z.' My Scouts call me 'Mr. Z' but that's a little formal for the trail. :)

hikerboy57
12-10-2012, 16:23
ive been called hikerboy at work for as ong as i can remember

atmilkman
12-10-2012, 16:26
ive been called hikerboy at work for as ong as i can remember
Ever since the arrival of the little one, down south your known as hikerpawpaw.

mmorgan
12-10-2012, 16:47
I met a old hiker by the name of "insane" last fall. He asked me my name and I told him I did not have a trail name, but my real name was Mark. We had just left the Mark Trail Wliderness, so he said, so you're Mark Trail, I'll call you MT for short.

daddytwosticks
12-10-2012, 17:15
Named by my daughter after seeing me with my new hiking poles many years ago. :)

Storm
12-10-2012, 18:58
Real last name is Gale, been Storm all my life.

Dogwood
12-10-2012, 19:08
Those were cool trail name stories.

I work as a Landscape Architect and in the horicultural industry specializing in wildflowers, rare and specimen palm trees, and native American small trees suitable for residential and commercial applications. On the AT, I was sometimes carrying three plant identification books. I would sometimes stop hiking for hrs to identify, descrbe, and draw the plants I didn't already know. People along the AT started asking me about the plants. The most asked questions concerned the abundant and striking white, pink, and red flowered American Dogwood tree(Cornus florida) hence I was trailnamed Dogwood. I thought it suitable because I always considered the American dogwood as one of my Top 5 small native American flowering trees. I also like, as far as I know, I'm the only one with that trailname.

RodentWhisperer
12-10-2012, 19:31
I'm loving reading all this thread's posts!

My trail name? Put simply, I adore rodents. All rodents. And I've read enough about them that, according to some of my friends, I know enough about their behavior/social ways to "commune" with the squirrels, mice, voles, marmots, beavers, muskrats, etc.

For years, rats have been my pet companions. I've been stopped by the local police for driving around town with rats on my shoulders... I was let off with a warning.

Pringles
12-10-2012, 19:32
I used to carry crackers in a Pringles canister to keep them from breaking. My hiking partner and I would often get separated during the day, and ask other hikers if they had seen the other hiker. After she asked about me, many hikers would smile and mention that I had been eating Pringles. (Actually, it was lunch.) After going through a number of trail names that be best described as stupid, I decided on a name that made People smile, Pringles. I can almost always count on a smile when I tell people my name.

trooper2012
12-10-2012, 19:44
I took the name "trooper" since my first AT section hike was from Stratton, Maine to Rangeley, Maine. I'm 60 and kept up with my son and daughter, who are in there 20's.

bamboo bob
12-10-2012, 20:19
At least one of you sounds stoned

NotYet
12-10-2012, 20:44
We headed southbound late in July of 2000, and we encountered many of the early NOBO finishers. Every one of them asked me some version of "Do you have a trail name?", and I would answer "not yet." Eventually I turned to my then boyfriend (now husband, Macon Tracks) and expressed that I really wished I would get a trail name soon. He said that I already had one, pointing out that I'd been introducing myself as "Not Yet" for three days... So, I'm really not sure if I named myself or he named me, but that's how it happened!

GoldenBear
12-10-2012, 21:56
> She mentioned getting a shuttle ride with you for a resupply.

I almost positive that Shuttle and I have NEVER driven anyone else but ourselves.

But if people express niceness to me because of the kindness of someone with the same name, I won't stop them.

rustmd
12-10-2012, 22:14
my trail name is .com. i am a section hiker, my trail name was given to me by the leader of one of my hiking groups. i consider it an honor to be given a trail name by someone w/ much more experience than i have. i get lots of big smiles and "cool name" when i introduce myself. funny thing is, i really hate computers!

i think it's a really neat part of the AT community to have trail names.

.com

walnut
12-10-2012, 22:42
A new AT friend, Fresh Ground, was asking my hiking buddy, Birdman, how I could walk uphill so fast. My buddy said it must be easier for me since I don't have little peanut legs. When they caught up Fresh Ground explained I was now Walnut Calves. It got shortened to Walnut. I don't even know how big walnuts are. I tried to break it but the fact that I hate nuts only made it stick that much more. I've embraced it now and I have some walnut-shaped wooden beads hanging on my pack.

waasj
12-12-2012, 22:21
I was Joe Just Joe since I did not have a trail name and that is how I introduced my self. This summer Nigel at the Dojo named me Rip Van Winkle because I fell asleep at a shelter midday and almost missed a shuttle. The throughs along that section kept it going because I do tend to take a little nap at lunch time.

4Bears
12-13-2012, 00:35
I got mine, 4 Bears, while section hiking on the NCT, nearly ran over by a mama black bear and her 3 cubs, just a bit unnerving for a minute, but woudn't have missed it for the world.

SCRUB HIKER
12-13-2012, 02:41
"Scrub Hiker" is an anagram of my real name. Some people try to figure it out, most give up and ask for hints. I go by Scrub for short.

T-Rx
12-13-2012, 08:13
"Scrub Hiker" is an anagram of my real name. Some people try to figure it out, most give up and ask for hints. I go by Scrub for short.

Bruce Hicks?

Double Wide
12-13-2012, 09:11
Because I live in Tennessee, and I used to wear size 6XL.

Will probably have to change it though. All those old big clothes went to Goodwill last month...

Bearleg
12-13-2012, 11:48
Trail name: Bearleg, i have a Bear tatto on my right leg, it started when someone said , the guy with the bear on his leg. The bear is a wrestling thing, my son is a Div. 1 heavy weight wrestler; who has a bear, on his left leg, the tattoo's are on opposite legs and when we practice ( can you say practice DUMMY) , it looks like two bear fighting, which if you have ever seen two heavy weights wrestling is what they resemble.

HikerMom58
12-13-2012, 12:53
Because I live in Tennessee, and I used to wear size 6XL.

Will probably have to change it though. All those old big clothes went to Goodwill last month...

Good for you!! :)

SCRUB HIKER
12-13-2012, 14:10
Bruce Hicks?

No, Bruce Hicks has one too many Cs and not enough Rs.

Velvet Gooch
12-13-2012, 14:31

Chris Buerk?
Chris Burke?
Chris Buker?

HikerMom58
12-13-2012, 15:03
Man, Velvet Gooch.. I was excited to see if you were going to share your user/trail name with us... you keep us guessing yourself. LOL!

Airman
12-13-2012, 15:17
Airman, Retired USAF, so it fits.

SCRUB HIKER
12-13-2012, 17:09
Chris Buerk?
Chris Burke?
Chris Buker?

DINGDINGDING! It's Chris Burke. That's an interesting trail name and town that you're from, if I may say so myself.

Tinker
12-13-2012, 17:13
I experiment with, make changes to, find alternatives to, and generally asses the utilitarian nature (or lack thereof) of gear, so I Tinker with gear. :rolleyes:

Creek Dancer
12-13-2012, 17:29
Got my name after several failed water crossings in St. Mary's Wilderness. Evidently the people I was with had never seen moves quite like that!

coach lou
12-13-2012, 17:30
I taught Power Skating and Ice Hockey for 25 years

HikerMom58
12-13-2012, 18:15
DINGDINGDING! It's Chris Burke. That's an interesting trail name and town that you're from, if I may say so myself.

That's an interesting trail name and town that you're from, if I may say so myself.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think that one might be better left unknown...

slow mind
12-13-2012, 18:33
I posted this in an earlier thread but will add it here also:

Well.. my "name" comes from what is likley the most valuable lesson learned from shorthanded sailing and hiking over long distances. It is all too easy to become wound up in the "what if's" and "just in cases" and lose the reason why you are out there.
I am reminded of a tale in which a snack in a pocket overcame the splendor of the day.

A friend, who I suspect thinks I spend too much time in the bush, loaned me Bill Bryson's, A Walk in the Woods, the author's account of his hike along the length of the Appalachian Trail - some 2200 miles. I'm still in Georgia, he is following spring north, but I get the drift - the bush is a scary place, laden with weirdoes and woollies. He's good humored about it, it's a very funny book, but the message is clear - one enters into natures realm at one's risk. He has a particular fetish about black bears, devoting most of an early chapter to his scrupulous research of bears feasting on unwary wanderers. It seems they are particularly fond of Snicker bar carriers. That got my attention - I almost always tuck an emergency ration Snicker bar in my pocket when I boot up for the bush.

So, yesterday, when I set aside good sense, and yielded to the sirens luring me to snow capped Mt Baldy, I left the Snickers in camp. Of course, the odds of encountering a Keweenaw black bear in February are no better than my fortune in the Packer pools, but with the warmth of this winter, one never knows. Perhaps lured from his or her den by the appearance, or maybe the reality, of winter ending, stomach growling from too much fasting, pa or ma bear might be out looking for someone to eat. The pickings are pretty slim in February - not many tasty bipedals wandering about this time of year. Under these meager circumstances, even an old geezer like me might look pretty tempting.

I think Bryson is a bit paranoid about all this canine chomping, but his research is compelling. I once thought that if accosted by a bear, one could avoid the inevitable by playing dead. Bryson says that only sometimes work with grizzlies (who seemingly are in it for the hunt), never with black bears. Black bears, the kind we have, are harvesters, compulsive nibblers. Of course, no one I know has ever been eaten by a bear, nor is spooky story telling time around late night beach fires laced with bear attack stories, but perhaps the subject is taboo. Would anyone ever confess that a bear had eaten a kin or acquaintance? Such accounts would also surely put a damper on our tourist trade, perhaps resulting in the closing of our beloved Harbor inn. The Gazette is ominously quiet on the subject.

So I properly prepared myself for yesterday's trek. No sweet smelling soap for my morning shower; fresh unscented clothing for warmth; coat pockets and gloves combed for evidence of cookie or old Snicker bar crumbs. I even substituted plain old water for my usual bottle of sugary Coke. I equipped myself with a sturdy and sharp pointed old ski pole, thinking I might, so armed, be a match for an emaciated bear. As a last resort strategy, I tucked a couple of granola bars, laced with my most powerful angina painkillers, into a tightly sealed plastic bag. This might serve as an alternative snack item for the hungry bear, allowing me a few moments of idle chatter with my adversary as the drug took effect - then stealing away as the bear went into the land of Oz.

Well, as is evident by the happy event of my being here to write this account, I managed to spend several hours in the spring-tinged winter bush without becoming an entr�e at a bear feast. Whether the result of my careful preparation, or the absence of fuzzy diners, I know not. I suppose one might question the basic premise, the bear's propensity for people snacks. Bryson is careful to note that the incidence of bears dining on their superior specie is rare, but I suppose if I shared that bit of knowledge with a bear about to chomp on my nicely toned pot belly, the bear would simply say, "So this is my lucky day!"

My trek, while uneventful as a dining experience, was not without some misfortune. As I ambled back to camp, my own hunger pains beginning to mount, I absentmindedly reached into my pocket, pulled out a delicious looking granola bar, and chomped it down. Ten minutes later I was bathing in Cedar Creek, unable to keep my balance as I attempted to cross the creek by walking along a downed tree - a trick of little consequence a few hours earlier. I bet the stalking bears thought it funny. "

So anyhow,
Slow down the mind not the body, When in the bush the moment at hand will ,without exeption,never be re-vistited under any circumstances. Live in the now and contemplate later at another time.
That is what inspired Slow Mind

slow mind
12-13-2012, 18:36
Story credit to my late friend George H.

T-Rx
12-13-2012, 18:40

That reply by me this a.m. was before I had my first cup of coffee!

Stalking Tortoise
12-13-2012, 21:12
2003 - 30 minutes into my first section hike from High Point State Park to DWG. My friends and I meet up with NOBO thru-hiker RestStep. I had been reading his journal on-line and recognized him from his pictures. First friend says "Hi." Second friend says "Hey." I say "RestStep?" He nearly jumps out of his skin. We chatted briefly before I took off to catch up with my friends. They immediately started calling me a trail stalker. And since I was always the last one to arrive at a break spot or road crossing, I was the tortoise of the group. By the end of the section, I was the Stalking Tortoise.

MuddyWaters
12-13-2012, 22:39
Not mine.

But some years ago I met a fellow who was called "Pup Tent".
Because his buddies said that was what his sleeping bag looked like one morning.

Sarcasm the elf
12-13-2012, 23:38
My trail name is "Dave" my parents gave it to me ;)

coach lou
12-13-2012, 23:41
My trail name is "Dave" my parents gave it to me ;)

It fits you perfectly:sun

Sarcasm the elf
12-13-2012, 23:42
It fits you perfectly:sun

Why thank you. I keep forgetting, do you go by "Coach" or "Lou" when you're on the trail? :D

Hill Ape
12-13-2012, 23:47
this is a family site, and i've recently been paddled for my language... so i can't really explain the whole thing.

i'm from ellijay georgia. yup, imma hillbilly. anyway, i pissed off an australian, or was it new zealand, or maybe he was british, point is he didn't speak american and i really crawled under his skin and made myself comfy. when he finally snapped and went off he was trying to call me a hillbilly but said hillape instead. everyone laughed which only pissed him off more. people started calling me hillape, as a way of poking fun at him. the name stuck, haven't seen tom in about five years now. since then our whole group has always called me "dirty stinking hill ape"

coach lou
12-13-2012, 23:56
Why thank you. I keep forgetting, do you go by "Coach" or "Lou" when you're on the trail? :D

Andy and Chris call me Lou, Clifton calls me ....'Evil':cool:

Sarcasm the elf
12-14-2012, 00:03
Andy and Chris call me Lou, Clifton calls me ....'Evil':cool:

I Think I remember Cliff saying that, but I don't think he was trying to give you a trail name. :rolleyes:

Train Wreck
12-14-2012, 13:02
My first backpacking trip was a total disaster. The hubby and I were talked into doing a 3 day trip by a couple of friends who had caught the bug but didn't' t know much more than we did. All my gear was borrowed, didn't fit, or just wrong. Pack, way too heavy (picture a 70's style Coleman pack with a weird plastic frame that hung to mid-thigh and banged the back f my legs for 35 miles), poorly fitting shoes, awful weather (3 days steady rain). No idea where we were or how far we had to go because the friends had the map but constantly hiked faster than us. Lost our one water bottle the last morning, more trouble since we didn't have our own filter. Adding to our woes, the last 7 miles were all, and I mean all, downhill to the Nantahala River. Thirsty!!! By the time we finally tumbled out onto the highway, I was a physical, mental, and emotional- Train Wreck.

coolness
12-14-2012, 13:16
I was on my first hike and overnighting at the Bryant Ridge Shelter in Virginia. I pulled a small coffee pot out of my pack and a thru-hiker said that would be my trail name. :cool: I learned that it was just too big to pack; haven't brought it since!! Anyway, Coffee Pot is my trail name for now. Pretty cool how hikers get their names.

coolness
12-14-2012, 13:17
That's funny!!

HikerMom58
12-14-2012, 15:13
My first backpacking trip was a total disaster. The hubby and I were talked into doing a 3 day trip by a couple of friends who had caught the bug but didn't' t know much more than we did. All my gear was borrowed, didn't fit, or just wrong. Pack, way too heavy (picture a 70's style Coleman pack with a weird plastic frame that hung to mid-thigh and banged the back f my legs for 35 miles), poorly fitting shoes, awful weather (3 days steady rain). No idea where we were or how far we had to go because the friends had the map but constantly hiked faster than us. Lost our one water bottle the last morning, more trouble since we didn't have our own filter. Adding to our woes, the last 7 miles were all, and I mean all, downhill to the Nantahala River. Thirsty!!! By the time we finally tumbled out onto the highway, I was a physical, mental, and emotional- Train Wreck.

Ha Ha!! I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time but that's a funny story. If it could go wrong- it did go wrong. *yikes*

Train Wreck
12-14-2012, 15:27
Ha Ha!! I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time but that's a funny story. If it could go wrong- it did go wrong. *yikes*

I didn't even mention my husband's 3 days of continuous flatulence from the Power Bars :rolleyes:

Seatbelt
12-14-2012, 15:30
See my pack straps, the pads come from the auto store, made for seatbelts

atmilkman
12-14-2012, 15:43

That is funny. Maybe we can start a thread called the backpacking trip from hell. I'll bet we'd get some really good stories there.
Okay here's my trailname story. It's pretty plain and simple. My wife and I had been hiking quite a few years all over the place. AT, FNST, PT, lots of small ones, just about whenever we could. We knew about trailnames at the time just didn't have any. Every time we'd get ready to go on the trail I would say I'm gonna drink me a quart of milk cause I ain't gonna get any out there till we get back. No big deal, it became standard procedure. Then as soon as we'd get back it would be the first thing I'd get. Standard procedure, no bid deal. Then one time were on a 7 day in the Big South Fork in Kentucky. We're hiking out on the last day and all I'm talking about is when we get to the top how I'm gonna go get me a big old milk. My wife finally says will you shut up about your damn milk. You ain't nothin' but a big old milk baby. In fact that's what I'm gonna call you. That's your trail name. Milkbaby. Milkbaby,milkbaby,milkbaby. And that was it for a long, long time. Eventually somehow it developed into milkman. To this day I still follow the standard procedure and it's the last thing I drink before I get on the trail and it's the first thing I get when I come in. And, if your hiking with me there will be times when I drive you crazy talking about it. To the point to where you'll say will you shut up about your damn milk. And then I will, (for a while).

coach lou
12-14-2012, 16:09
I loved a huge glass of cold milk. Around age 25 it started to give me terrible stomach aches. And of course I love ice cream, so I get a small one and suffer thru it:(

markc7
12-17-2012, 10:20
Just outside of Caratunk, Maine this June, I was attacked by a red-tailed hawk. Dive-bombed, as it were.

Drybones
12-17-2012, 11:37
That is funny. Maybe we can start a thread called the backpacking trip from hell. I'll bet we'd get some really good stories there.
Okay here's my trailname story. It's pretty plain and simple. My wife and I had been hiking quite a few years all over the place. AT, FNST, PT, lots of small ones, just about whenever we could. We knew about trailnames at the time just didn't have any. Every time we'd get ready to go on the trail I would say I'm gonna drink me a quart of milk cause I ain't gonna get any out there till we get back. No big deal, it became standard procedure. Then as soon as we'd get back it would be the first thing I'd get. Standard procedure, no bid deal. Then one time were on a 7 day in the Big South Fork in Kentucky. We're hiking out on the last day and all I'm talking about is when we get to the top how I'm gonna go get me a big old milk. My wife finally says will you shut up about your damn milk. You ain't nothin' but a big old milk baby. In fact that's what I'm gonna call you. That's your trail name. Milkbaby. Milkbaby,milkbaby,milkbaby. And that was it for a long, long time. Eventually somehow it developed into milkman. To this day I still follow the standard procedure and it's the last thing I drink before I get on the trail and it's the first thing I get when I come in. And, if your hiking with me there will be times when I drive you crazy talking about it. To the point to where you'll say will you shut up about your damn milk. And then I will, (for a while).

I kinda like Milkbaby.

dancingbear
01-05-2013, 12:18
I have a birth mark on my arm that looks like a dancing bear and one night on my first AT hike with my dad he gave me the name and dancing bear has stuck ever since

Darwin13
01-05-2013, 13:27
I'm on the younger side so my friends that come with me are youg as well and thus stupid. I seem to be the only one of them that is always able to figure the problem out or rig something up or find a reapply or ride or something. So one day my friend said I Darwin'd something (I think it was something to do with a shelter.) so it stuck. Plus I like to think that I am ever changing.

fudgefoot
01-05-2013, 23:32
Care to guess how I got mine?

Here's the story from that ill-fated section hike in 2002:
We had only a short 3.3 mile hike to get to our destination for the evening – Morgan Stewart Memorial Shelter. After a moderate climb, we reached the top of Mt. Egbert on Depot Hill and spotted the shelter. A thru hiker and a couple of section hikers were already occupying it. There was a nice tenting area so we decided to pitch the tent. We filled up with water at the hand pump and cooked dinner.

After dinner, I headed back the trail to the privy and then into the woods to take a leak. Walking through the woods to get back to the trail, I felt my right leg sink into what I thought was a small pothole. Now this was no peepie step – we’re talking full extension, plant the foot, and try to push off. Only problem was, the more I tried to push off, the farther in I sank. I don’t think I’ll ever forget the moment when I realized the full gravity of my predicament – I had stepped in the old privy hole! I extracted my foot (I was wearing Teva sandals) and looked down to see my worst fears confirmed – my right foot and lower leg to mid-calf were covered with a thick coating of crap! I yelled to Krueser who was lounging obliviously near the shelter: “Fred, get over here, quick!” After he had finished doubling over with laughter, we headed down to the pump and began the lengthy clean-up process. Fortunately, this shelter had a good water source. An hour and many liberal applications of soap later, I felt reasonably clean. When they relocated the privy, the least they could have done was seal off the old hole!

A wonderful breeze was blowing on top of the mountain that evening. Laying in the tent, I remarked to Fred that this incident had “trail name” written all over it. After years of hiking, I still didn’t have a trail name and it was beginning to wear on me. We kicked around several possible options. As I was drifting off to sleep, I muttered “Fudge Foot” and a trail name was born. Sometimes you get to choose your trail name, sometimes the Trail chooses for you.

Miami Joe
01-06-2013, 02:29
Mine came when I decided I want to become part of the AT hiking community, I was inspired to go to the AT and ask the AT itself if I would be accepted. I chose the closest point to my home and went, as I approached that spot I started asking if the AT would accept me into the community, and kept asking as I got closer I spoke words not of me, while not exact as i forget the exact words it was 'yes I fully accept you and welcome you, as a parent names their new born child I give you the name Starchild' and for the next 2 days the name Starchild was echoing though my mind.

At that time I also had visions of what is best described as a intersteller AT that our AT is only a part of, a path that angels travel from star to star as we travel the AT, and is they who are good intention behind all the good that one may experience including the blessings that inspire and empower real life trail angels.

Peace

Best post ever!

My trail name is "Blackberry" because, well, I like to stop all day on the trail and eat blackberries.

Miami Joe
01-06-2013, 02:44
A new AT friend, Fresh Ground, was asking my hiking buddy, Birdman, how I could walk uphill so fast. My buddy said it must be easier for me since I don't have little peanut legs. When they caught up Fresh Ground explained I was now Walnut Calves. It got shortened to Walnut. I don't even know how big walnuts are. I tried to break it but the fact that I hate nuts only made it stick that much more. I've embraced it now and I have some walnut-shaped wooden beads hanging on my pack.

Nice! And Go Rebels!

BirdBrain
01-06-2013, 09:08
I do not feel comfortable expressing how I received my name. I will tell how my hiking partner got his instead. I have been hiking since I was a teenager. Back then I would have called it running in the woods. For the past few years I have been reconnecting with one of my sisters. We sail, hike, and vacation together several weeks each year. I am a bit off the wall and her husband if very calm and balanced.

One night I saw a show on the AT on Netflix. Little did I know he watched the same show that night. The next time we met, we practically finished each others sentences about seeing the show, wishing we could go, and the hope of talking the other into going. It was settled on the spot that we would section hike the Maine portion.

What followed was a ton of research. We found out about the trail name thing from the show. I read about carrying an avatar somewhere. My sister collects elephants. There are hundreds in every form in her home. When I presented the idea of carrying an avatar to him, it was obvious what he would carry. To prove the point, we posed the issue to my sister. Without hesitation, she stated that he was to carry one of her "Ellies". I immediately dubbed him Ellie Luggah (the ah being meant to capture the way us Mainers pronounce words ending in er).

I will let Ellie Luggah tell my story if he chooses. I will say this much: 2 other names were suggested before Bird Brain. 1) Raven Lunatic - I love all birds and would get the Ravens of Maine to call back to us while we were hiking and my sister would say the lunatic description would fit. 2) Seagull Whisperer - From an encounter on Appledore Island where I was being attacked by numerous Blackback Seagulls. I felt that the latter name was too long, but after seeing the Rodent Whisperer on here, I feel differently.

Anywho... it's Ellie Luggah and Bird Brain from Maine. Ayuh.

HikerMom58
01-06-2013, 11:52
Great stories from one of the BEST threads ever!!
Fudgefoot.... oh SNAP!!! :eek:

BirdBrain... gotta love that northern ME accent... Ayuh! :)

DaveSail
01-06-2013, 12:24
I had mine prior to any " event " on the AT . I shouldn't have mentioned it , but now it seems to have " stuck " ! Trail Angel Mary used it at the
2010 " Gathering " at Concord University , in Athens West Virginia . Then , ALDA printed it in a number of publications , so I guess I'll use it .

I was in the US Air Force from '57 to '61 . At Stewart Air Force Base . Next door to West Point Military Academy , on he Hudson River , in New York .
My squadron First Sargent was going over to West Point and Sky Diving with their club . I always thought that would be fun , and asked to go along .
He said I couldn't , as we were Air Force and they were Army ! But , he said I could start a club on our base . So I did . It turned out to be the very
first Sky Diving Club in the whole Air Force !!

Anyway , the army guys had a tradition of making making the last jump of the day into a farmer's field , bordered by a street on which there was a bar.
When my landing - acuracy got good enough that I was allowed to make that jump with them , I joined them . All of us sitting at the bar . They called -
out their orders : Bud , Coors , Schlitz , Heineken , Yuengling , etc. When they got to me I said : " Ice Cream " . All these macho Army Guys laughed
and laughed . At our " First Jump " Dinner my Place Name Card read : " Ice Cream " . That was my name from then on . Even on a Liberty Pass in NYC
I would turn around wnen a Vendor hollered out : " Ice Cream " !! So , I guess I'm stuck with it . And I DO eat a lot of Ice Cream ! Great at Concord U.
as they had an " All You Can Eat " FREE Ice Cream Machine !!

David V. Webber

Tharwood
01-06-2013, 16:26
I do not have one yet... I am willing to bet it will be some how related to snoring..... From what I am told , I would not be allowed in the shelters due to my snoring... It is REAL bad....not as bad since I quit smoking last January 2012. But still very bad ...according to same... Guess I will just have to wait n see.

Mountain Mojo
01-06-2013, 17:50
People alwayz called me Magic, then Mountain Magic cause I can usually be found wandering somewhere in the mountainz. My boyfriend callz me Mojo instead of Magic, hence Mountain Mojo lol

Another Kevin
01-06-2013, 18:05
My trail name - if I have one - hasn't found me yet. There's one that I wore in the mid-1970s, but it doesn't fit me any more, rather like everything else I wore back then. If you know a guy named Kevin who wears a trail name, that's not me, I'm Another Kevin.

StylinLP38
01-07-2013, 17:08
In the last year of local hiking every weekend I was never given a thru-hike name. But back in 99 when I was on team phoenix at LazerQuest (we won the nationals) I went by the name of Vagabond. For 2 years thats what most people only knew me as. My teammates knew my real name but still called me that. Made a name for myself with that name appearing on the score boards would strike terror in the other participants which I enjoyed heh. I had good team tactics and make others laugh. But I prefered to roam the mazes alone and squaring off others. Suppose I felt like a hunter. One day listening to Metallica song "where ever I may roam" I found the perfect name that fit my lonely solo competitive style. Sad but true. Vagabond.

Roamer, wanderer
Nomad, vagabond
Call me what you will

Wherever I may roam

S'more
01-07-2013, 17:36
I don't have a trail name, yet. I go by S'more here because of my long time involvement in Girl Scouts ( and TONS of hiking and camping with them). I guess I could have chosen Thin Mint :D which would have worked. Someone here- he that shall not be named - has suggested Snowball. :-?

S'more
01-07-2013, 17:37
Great stories from one of the BEST threads ever!!
Fudgefoot.... oh SNAP!!! :eek:

BirdBrain... gotta love that northern ME accent... Ayuh! :)

A-yuh, yah do. :D

BirdBrain
01-07-2013, 17:55
I do not have one yet... I am willing to bet it will be some how related to snoring..... From what I am told , I would not be allowed in the shelters due to my snoring... It is REAL bad....not as bad since I quit smoking last January 2012. But still very bad ...according to same... Guess I will just have to wait n see.

Help a man in need. He has confessed his unique trait. Give him a name.

StylinLP38
01-07-2013, 18:32

Smokeless :)

HikerMom58
01-07-2013, 18:59

How about Royal Rumble R&R for short. :)

joshuasdad
01-07-2013, 20:51
42 is my self selected name. Since I have hiked half the AT without getting a new one, I am sticking with it.

Way long ago it was my number in my (engineering) fraternity, picked because of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which was a popular book at the time. I now plan to finish the AT at age 42, near Forest Service Road...42.

I'll stop there.

BirdBrain
01-07-2013, 20:59
How about Royal Rumble R&R for short. :)

R&R might work. It could have many meanings depending on the perspective of the person. Tharwood would be getting Rest & Relaxation while making a Royal Rumble causing Rolling & Rousing of others prompting them to want to Remove the Ruckus.

HikerMom58
01-07-2013, 21:21
R&R might work. It could have many meanings depending on the perspective of the person. Tharwood would be getting Rest & Relaxation while making a Royal Rumble causing Rolling & Rousing of others prompting them to want to Remove the Ruckus.

BirdBrain... you are GOOD!! I like R&R for ALL those reasons!! :)

BirdBrain
01-07-2013, 23:17
BirdBrain... you are GOOD!! I like R&R for ALL those reasons!! :)

Add one more: Because he no longer smokes he has successfully gone through Respiratory Rehab.
What say you Tharwood? Are you Ready to Run with HikerMomKD's suggestion of R&R?

Tharwood
01-08-2013, 20:36
Lol... I'm flattered... And I will,take it.... R&R it is...thank u both....haha..BTW... U 2 r nuts...hahaha

HikerMom58
01-08-2013, 21:28
Y thank ya... thank ya very much! :) I'm glad u like it! :) BB is the one that came up with all the coordinating names.. I thought that was brilliant!
BTW... Congrats on quitting smoking... I know that wasn't easy. :eek::sun

Tharwood
01-08-2013, 21:49
Ha.. Yes quite inventive ...believe it or not quitting smoking wasn't all that bad.. I smoked for around 20 yrs, and I quit cold turkey jan 7 2012. Now the first couple of weeks I was a bear. But have it over it.. Haha thanks Mom..

Lillianp
01-13-2013, 22:39
The stories in this thread are AWESOME. Mine was pretty simple-in 2010 it was really really snowy/icy in the beginning (in early march) so I was tripping and slipping all over the place. I kept doing that even when there wasn't much snow and I was creating not only a hazard for myself but for anyone hiking near me. So. Crash Course I became. (Apparently Ladybug was a close second, due to my red rain jacket I always had tied to the outside of my pack)

Lillianp
01-13-2013, 22:48
The stories in this thread are AWESOME. Mine was pretty simple-in 2010 it was really really snowy/icy in the beginning (in early march) so I was tripping and slipping all over the place. I kept doing that even when there wasn't much snow and I was creating not only a hazard for myself but for anyone hiking near me. So. Crash Course I became. (Apparently Ladybug was a close second, due to my red rain jacket I always had tied to the outside of my pack)

wicca witch
01-14-2013, 00:28
Your trail name is interesting especially the story. The pic of the white bear is awesome. My trail name is wiccwitch.
I have been in the practice for many years & hiking the trail i forage for herbs & anything edible that i can use as a
concoction. I plan to be back on the trail the 2nd. wk. of April. Had to quit in 2012 for a miniscus tear. I will b starting
from Springer to Delaware Water Gap. Then hope to finish New hampshire & Maine.

VT_Lotus
01-14-2013, 02:37

I'm thinking "Chainsaw" might be appropriate....

Coffee Rules!
01-14-2013, 03:41
I didn't even mention my husband's 3 days of continuous flatulence from the Power Bars :rolleyes:

So is his trail name Power Breeze? :p

Coffee Rules!
01-14-2013, 04:21
I don't have one, and don't yet feel like I deserve one, but I had three suggested on my miniscule day hikes plus one overnight in September. I'll tell my overly long story and see what you kids think. Without the story in case it's TL;DR for you, the suggestions were Fidel, Sir Winston, and Grinder.

I had planned to do a short section with three overnights, but I was so damn sick I decided not to stay outside at night in the cold. The last day, it was so doggone beautiful a day I said to heck with it and stayed. VERY glad I did.

Even though I was only day hiking, I was carrying all my gear just to get used to carrying it. Aside from the obvious of time outdoors, I was mostly out there to get some mileage under my belt with a pack on my back, so it would've been silly not to have my crap with me. But I digress.

Part of what I was carrying were the luxury items I want to take. A small herfidor for cigars, one of which I enjoyed during an extended lunch break on my second day. A couple I had been chatting with (weekenders mostly, the occasional short section, all in all nice folks I can't recall the trail names of to save me) suggested both "Fidel" and "Sir Winston" based on the cigars. When I met Rasty the suggestions came up, and like me he preferred Sir Winston over Fidel.

The morning after my overnight near Stan Murray shelter, I had gone back to the shelter in the morning to take advantage of the picnic table. The other luxury items are a handheld coffee grinder and my Snowpeak titanium French press. A gentleman going by Snowbird (older guy, lives in FL) out on an early start that morning happened by and stopped to chat. When I told him I didn't have a trail name, he suggested a few based on the coffee accoutrements, Grinder being the only one with any appeal to me.

So, kids...your thoughts? Any other suggestions based on the stories? Yeah, I know my screen name here would fit with the coffee theme but it just doesn't work as a trail name, IMO.

Giantsbane
01-14-2013, 15:32
Giantsbane. I kill giants. And in mid-March I begin the hunt for another giant, Mount Katahdin.

Kernel
01-14-2013, 20:32
There is an old tradition in the Brasilian martial art of Capoeira where at your first belt, you earn a nickname. My Capoeira nickname has been Colonel for years, (being an Air Force officer) given to me by my Brasilian Mestre. However I recently reached a point in my career where I had the tough (yet easy) choice between what is good for the family and that next rank. As a day and section hiker, I kept my capoeira name as it has always been a part of my life, but re-spelled, as I see the end of the military career as a new beginning, a seed from which something better will grow. Thence, Kernel.

GoldenBear
01-14-2013, 21:32
> So, kids...your thoughts?

I've always felt that a trail name should uniquely sum up one of your characteristics. In other words, what make you ... YOU.
I've met many people for whom a good cup of coffee is mandatory at the start of the day.
But I've almost never met anyone who needs a cigar so badly that he would take a humidor on the trail.
So I suggest something that connects you to your love of cigars: Winston, Fidel, or perhaps Sigmund.

HikerMom58
01-14-2013, 21:38
Huumm.... I vote for Sir Winston..

Coffee Rules!
01-15-2013, 00:09
GB and HM, thanks for the input.

It's not a need for the cigars, just a desire. I don't smoke more than one or two a week. My only negative thought regarding the cigar related names is that the herfidor would likely be the first item ditched. Not so much due to the weight (I haven't weighed it, but it's probably around 1 1/2 lbs, 2 max. Factor in whatever 5 cigars weigh also.) as the difficulty of maintaining anything close to proper humidity and temperature--especially temperature--while at the mercy of Mother Nature.

Coffee, on the other hand, while not an addiction, is something you'd rather see me with than without. It sets the tone for the day. However, I have spoiled myself in my time over here and can/will no longer drink swill. I grind it fresh and use the French press. In fact, as I type I'm waiting for the morning's brew to be ready.

I get what you're saying about it uniquely summing up a characteristic. To me though that can be a characteristic shared with others, but the name unique to me in its own way. So Grinder could still work, as I doubt there are many if any non-car campers toting a handheld coffee grinder.

I'm not arguing for or against either name, just elaborating for input. I really appreciate the input. Again, I'm only discussing it now because there were names suggested. I'm still not sure I "deserve" a trail name, even though the rules for them seem to be firmly set in Jello.

I suppose to describe ME well I could go with Immature Profane Heathen A***ole. :p

Captain Skivvies
01-15-2013, 01:00
My fellow hiker and I recieved our names on a section hike last year. The acrobat earned his title with the creative ways he exited his hammock in the mornings. Being a clean and fresh kinda guy I aired my boxers each night on a clothesline in camp. Of course each morning they were wet from the dew. Solution; hang them on the back of my pack so the sun could dry them out. Hence my trail name: Captain Skivvies.

Giantsbane
01-16-2013, 13:37
[QUOTE=Coffee Rules!;1392874 . . .he preferred Sir Winston over Fidel.

So, kids...your thoughts? Any other suggestions based on the stories? [/QUOTE]

I second Sir Winston! I'm a pipe smoker and don't plan on giving it up while hiking. Its cool that there are cigar smokers on the trail as well, knowing how to enjoy the finer things whilst roughing it.

Immature Profane Heathen A***ole is a good one as well!

Coffee Rules!
01-16-2013, 13:40
Immature Profane Heathen A***ole is a good one as well!

A tad bulky though. I might get beaten up by ULers for my trail name weighing too much.

HikerMom58
01-16-2013, 13:54
GB and HM, thanks for the input.

It's not a need for the cigars, just a desire. I don't smoke more than one or two a week. My only negative thought regarding the cigar related names is that the herfidor would likely be the first item ditched. Not so much due to the weight (I haven't weighed it, but it's probably around 1 1/2 lbs, 2 max. Factor in whatever 5 cigars weigh also.) as the difficulty of maintaining anything close to proper humidity and temperature--especially temperature--while at the mercy of Mother Nature.

Coffee, on the other hand, while not an addiction, is something you'd rather see me with than without. It sets the tone for the day. However, I have spoiled myself in my time over here and can/will no longer drink swill. I grind it fresh and use the French press. In fact, as I type I'm waiting for the morning's brew to be ready.

I get what you're saying about it uniquely summing up a characteristic. To me though that can be a characteristic shared with others, but the name unique to me in its own way. So Grinder could still work, as I doubt there are many if any non-car campers toting a handheld coffee grinder.

I'm not arguing for or against either name, just elaborating for input. I really appreciate the input. Again, I'm only discussing it now because there were names suggested. I'm still not sure I "deserve" a trail name, even though the rules for them seem to be firmly set in Jello.

I suppose to describe ME well I could go with Immature Profane Heathen A***ole. :p

Ok... now that you have elaborated & shared more ... I like grinder. It goes with your user name on WB. When asked- you can share your real passion in life .. COFFEE!! :) I like your avaitar ...PERFECT!

Coffee Rules!
01-16-2013, 13:56
Thank you, m'lady.

Giantsbane
01-16-2013, 14:11
A tad bulky though. I might get beaten up by ULers for my trail name weighing too much.

As long os you carry a something like a pot or trekking poles that double as a club to beat up the annoying hiker purists, I think they'll let you pass.

Coffee Rules!
01-16-2013, 14:13
Good point, GB! Thanks.

gizzy bear
01-16-2013, 14:36
I don't have one, and don't yet feel like I deserve one, but I had three suggested on my miniscule day hikes plus one overnight in September. I'll tell my overly long story and see what you kids think. Without the story in case it's TL;DR for you, the suggestions were Fidel, Sir Winston, and Grinder.

I had planned to do a short section with three overnights, but I was so damn sick I decided not to stay outside at night in the cold. The last day, it was so doggone beautiful a day I said to heck with it and stayed. VERY glad I did.

Even though I was only day hiking, I was carrying all my gear just to get used to carrying it. Aside from the obvious of time outdoors, I was mostly out there to get some mileage under my belt with a pack on my back, so it would've been silly not to have my crap with me. But I digress.

Part of what I was carrying were the luxury items I want to take. A small herfidor for cigars, one of which I enjoyed during an extended lunch break on my second day. A couple I had been chatting with (weekenders mostly, the occasional short section, all in all nice folks I can't recall the trail names of to save me) suggested both "Fidel" and "Sir Winston" based on the cigars. When I met Rasty the suggestions came up, and like me he preferred Sir Winston over Fidel.

The morning after my overnight near Stan Murray shelter, I had gone back to the shelter in the morning to take advantage of the picnic table. The other luxury items are a handheld coffee grinder and my Snowpeak titanium French press. A gentleman going by Snowbird (older guy, lives in FL) out on an early start that morning happened by and stopped to chat. When I told him I didn't have a trail name, he suggested a few based on the coffee accoutrements, Grinder being the only one with any appeal to me.

So, kids...your thoughts? Any other suggestions based on the stories? Yeah, I know my screen name here would fit with the coffee theme but it just doesn't work as a trail name, IMO.

clearly...your trail name should be herfidor...no question about it!! just saying that word makes me giggle....hehehe :D

barf_jay
01-16-2013, 14:54
Barfo = chicken wings & too many beers...LOL!

q-tip
01-16-2013, 15:44
I was in a coma for 2 weeks and in the hospiral for another three weeks recovering in 2008. When my best friend walked into my house he said "My God, you look like a Q-Tip"

Trailname-Q-Tip

vhawkvet
01-16-2013, 16:19
Hi All,

I am a NOBO leaving March 31 on the Approach Trail and April 1 from Springer. I have wanted to thru hike the AT for 15 years ever since hiking hut to hut in the White Mountains with my dad. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me with a trail name... I am considering the trail name Bicoastal Bookworm. I'm originally from New York, settled in Oregon five years ago and am planning on reading as much as I can while on the trail, (we'll see how it works out . Other random info: I am a veterinarian and have 4 dogs, 4 cats and a fish. I would appreciate any input on possible trail names if anyone has the time/any ideas. Thanks so much!

gizzy bear
01-16-2013, 16:31
Hi All,

I am a NOBO leaving March 31 on the Approach Trail and April 1 from Springer. I have wanted to thru hike the AT for 15 years ever since hiking hut to hut in the White Mountains with my dad. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me with a trail name... I am considering the trail name Bicoastal Bookworm. I'm originally from New York, settled in Oregon five years ago and am planning on reading as much as I can while on the trail, (we'll see how it works out . Other random info: I am a veterinarian and have 4 dogs, 4 cats and a fish. I would appreciate any input on possible trail names if anyone has the time/any ideas. Thanks so much!

dr suess :) came to my mind as soon as i read 4 dogs, 4 cats and a fish...

vhawkvet
01-16-2013, 16:36
dr suess :) came to my mind as soon as i read 4 dogs, 4 cats and a fish...
That is awesome! I am being completely serious when I say that our fish's name is Blue Fish because of 1 fish, 2 fish, 3 fish, blue fish. You may be the winner, just need time to think about it... :) Thanks!

gizzy bear
01-16-2013, 16:43
That is awesome! I am being completely serious when I say that our fish's name is Blue Fish because of 1 fish, 2 fish, 3 fish, blue fish. You may be the winner, just need time to think about it... :) Thanks!

i'll send you the bill ;) seems fitting to me....best of luck on your thru hike!!

vhawkvet
01-16-2013, 16:51

Sorry, correction, one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish!

vhawkvet
01-16-2013, 16:52
Thanks so much again gizzy bear :)

Coffee Rules!
01-16-2013, 22:06
I agree with gizzy bear. Dr. Seuss sounds like a great name.

Gizzy bear, I'll take Herfidor under advisement. It's definitely different.

Trebor66
01-17-2013, 01:04
Mine is Trebor which is simply Robert spelled backwards. It's a nickname my Dad gave me when I was a kid. Kinda boring but means a lot to me.

Coffee Rules!
01-17-2013, 01:23
Boring can be cool too. I like it.

01-17-2013, 12:13
The spirit bear is also known as the Kermode Black Bear which is also present in parts of Alaska. My trail name originated when I went on a week long section hike in March of 2011. It was myself and two buddies. We started at Amicalola Falls and went thru the approach trail to Springer and ended at Dicks Creek Gap in 6 days. I was an idiot to start with, after reading many things about what to take and what not to and how much weight you should carry. Most of what I read said not to carry more than 40lbs. I didn't comprehend that very well since my pack weighed 94lbs to start. After starting it took 7 minutes and 11 seconds to start unpacking and throwing stuff away and I sent 2 packages back to myself at home. After the unpacking sessions I still ended up weighing 59lbs at Neels Gap but I was able to make from there. I don't leave with more than 40lbs on my back now. I shouldve known by having a 90l pack that was a mistake. The bigger I had the more I thought I needed. Sounds crazy but that name stuck to me. Happy Hiking!

Train Wreck
01-17-2013, 12:45
Thanks so much again gizzy bear :)

Or go with the obvious- Dr. Doolittle. After a long day of hiking it may become Dr. Do Liitle As Possible. :)

Coffee Rules!
01-17-2013, 13:35
Or go with the obvious- Dr. Doolittle. After a long day of hiking it may become Dr. Do Liitle As Possible. :)

Dis one! Always wit da playz on woids she is!

OzJacko
01-18-2013, 09:13
OK.
The name on my birth certificate is Jacob.
Hate it in english.
I answer to it when spoken to by someone in Dutch (yarcob).
Grew up being called Jack.
Still my preferred name generally.
When 17yo my older brother proposed me as a new member of a car club in town that both my older brothers were in.
A crusty old member said, "No already one Jack in the club" (himself - he was joking).
Quick as a flash my brother said "we'll call him Jacko then".
Since then it is my name among all my real friends (even my father for his last 20odd years).
When hiking I always feel among friends so can't think of anything else I want to be called.

PapaGarrettP
01-18-2013, 09:39
My wife hates to camp because of seasonal allergies. Whenever we are at a party or social gathering and folks ask me questions about my latest foray into the woods, the conversation inevitably turns to my my silent wife and someone will jokingly ask her, "What's your trail name?"

"Marriott," she will deadpan. Always gets a laugh.

Coffee Rules!
01-18-2013, 09:42
Good stuff Papa G.

Nar Nar
01-19-2013, 18:19
On my first ever backpacking trip on the AT/LT in Vermont I developed some nasty blisters due to some terrible shoes and doing too many miles... I arrived at Kid Gore Shelter and took off my shoes, and scared everyone else at the shelter with how nasty they were. Some guys were sitting around stoned and were like "dude those are gnarly... WAIT that should be your trail name, Nar Nar!" I kept it to remind me to always take care of my feet so I don't have to experience that again.

vhawkvet
01-20-2013, 15:19
Thank you for all of your suggestions :) After a lot of thought my trail name is going to be Barracuda (the name of my dog who was supposed to hike the trail with me but got bilateral cruciate ligament ruptures and won't be able to do any thru-hiking in the future).

Oneofsix
01-20-2013, 23:31
my name, one of six (1/6) is just because there are six of us . . . I've had many names . . . scout, mamabear and MN roadrunner, but none of them have stuck. the rest of my group have names too, some are stuck, and will likley last the trail.
we have tutu . . . because she is a girly girl and hikes with bling . . . she has a kick ass pink hiking tutu . . which she will wear for the beginning of the AT if not for the whole thing - (early March). we just realized as she's a peacemaker too . . . so she could be named for desmond tutu . . .
then there is Road-Kill. that is from an 8 mile hike we did while living in the UK. he laid down on a busway track and played dead, tongue and all, pretending to be a badgerl :) it stuck (we also call him that because he can kill some road - make time, so the double meaning helps him retain it :))
then we have High-5. that came from multiple sources, he's a positive "give me a high five" kind of person, he gives them out often (with a nice big smile), and when hiking in the UK raced others in our group up and over 4 peaks, and we joked that if there was another he could be high-5, as he is competetive, it stuck. We then also have Moon-beam, but that may not stick, and last we have sugardaddy, but he isn't all over the name, so he'll get another.
this should be fun!
we are trying on group names too, but don't have one yet . . . no doubt that won't be flattering :) we will be easy to spot, easy to remember, easy to hear (sorry). and it will be easier to refer to us together than as six trail names . . . so who knows. I like four yards, but I expect we'll end up with a name early on, hope it is one that makes people smile.