PDA

View Full Version : Front Royal to Harpers Ferry, end of Dec.

Debbie
12-10-2012, 18:10
I'm planning to do this section after Christmas, probably starting around Dec. 28. It'd be nice to have some company. Anyone else going to be out there?

Studlintsean
12-11-2012, 13:35
I'm planning to do this section after Christmas, probably starting around Dec. 28. It'd be nice to have some company. Anyone else going to be out there?

I have that week off of work and will either be doing a small hike down in the Damascus area while at my girlfriends parents or coming back to the NOVA area and doing a section between that area (preferably the rollercoaster). I will keep you posted as my plans are hashed out. If im in the area I may be able to get one or two others to tag along (thought they did this section Thanksgiving break so they may not).

Debbie
12-11-2012, 17:31
Sounds good, Studlintsean-let me know. It'd be good to have some other people.

juma
12-13-2012, 10:10
what is your hike plan miles per day?

shelter or tent?

what is your car/shuttle plan?

Debbie
12-13-2012, 11:53
approx. 10-12 miles per day, depending on weather.

I usually tent in the general vicinity of a shelter though I find campsites on occasion.

I'm planning to fly into Dulles and get shuttled to Front Royal-distance from S. Florida is too great timewise.

shelb
12-14-2012, 01:20
I would LOVE to join you, but the timing will not work out. It is a shame, as this is a gap I need to close since I have hiked Waynesboro to Front Royal and Harpers through PA.

This summer, my backpacking buddy might bail on me if she gets a grant to go to Africa. In that case, would you be interested in hiking 120 miles? I have my own equipment and hike up to 24 miles per day (but prefer 12-15); I would just feel more secure with someone either hiking with me or meeting me at the evening end-points.

Debbie
12-14-2012, 19:00
If for any reason I don't go now, I'll be going in March (though Dec. is the plan). This summer I'll be finishing New Hampshire, if that's anything you're interested in.

o hiker guy
12-15-2012, 17:21
How many miles from Front Royal to Harpers Ferry and how many days are you hiking.

Debbie
12-15-2012, 18:26
How many miles from Front Royal to Harpers Ferry and how many days are you hiking.

Its about 54 miles; I'll probably take 5 days to do it.

o hiker guy
12-15-2012, 20:14
I checked map quest and its an 8 hr drive for me to Front Royal. Starting on the 28th is late for me in that I have to go back to work on Jan 2nd. Probably wouldn't be finished with the hike until sometime on the 1st. I have 10 days off next May, I'll be hiking up there somewhere then for sure. Sorry

ednotmilkman
12-21-2012, 15:48
Hi folks,

I posted a few months back about a 7-14 day section in VA anywhere above Damascus. My 2 possible companions have both backed out, and I don't plan to go that far by myself. I have another hiking buddy that might want to come along, but she doesn't like long trips nor long mileage days. I am happy with anywhere from 8-15 miles per day, and did a trip last Jan where I didn't bring any shelter. That is a bit risky to do over weekends when there is pretty snow though, as Thomas Knob Shelter near Mt. Rogers, had about 25 of us crowded in on a Friday night when the low for that morning was 14 degrees.

But I might consider meeting one or more of you if I can figure out travel and shuttle plans. I really do want to walk at least 7 days after making the plans to get up there. I could walk for shorter distance with "you" and then walk a few days more solo. I have relatives in Roanoke and Marion that could help with shuttle on the south end, but know nobody north of there. I don't mind driving as it's hard to fly and pay for shuttles cheaper than bringing a car.

Edwin

Cookerhiker
12-21-2012, 19:11

Debbie, did you see this recent thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?90554-Front-Royal-to-Harpers-Ferry-in-3-days)?

Debbie
12-21-2012, 19:30
Thanks, Cookerhiker;

I did see it and I've been in contact with him.

Sondance Kid
12-22-2012, 00:10
Sea Eagle,

Just saw your post. If you don't make it to the trail next week, post an update. I would definitely be willing to hike in March or sometime/anytime this summer. If you go, have a safe and enjoyable journey! To a peaceful and prosperous New Year with many miles on the AT!

Sondance Kid

ednotmilkman
12-22-2012, 01:19
i've never looked at trailjournals much, ......... because I don't read too many other peoples journals unless I know them. Do they have a thread for "hooking up" like here ?

Oh, now I see why I didn't see the other post ........... it's in WB, but not in "hooking up" ! Well, maybe some of us can start out together... still not sure if I will join up yet.

Edwin

MorningJoe
12-22-2012, 17:20
I live in Harpers Ferry and my birthday is the 28th... Send me a PM of a more aproximate start date from Front Royal... I'm sure I could get down there and wouldn't mind a nice 5 day 54 mi. hike... I'm feeling a little apprehensive about my upcoming ECT thru-hike and could use gettin my legs movin again...10-4

juma
12-24-2012, 13:40
snowing a bit now. anyone going out will find a set of microspikes pretty handy for the next 3 months.

Debbie
12-24-2012, 18:27
Do you expect a lot of accumulation? I've got yaktrax but opted not to spend the $$ for microspikes. Maybe I should have.

johnnybgood
12-24-2012, 20:19
Looks like 2"-4" fell from Luray to northwestern Virginia. The next few days will bring chances of rain,but another shot of cold air has snow in the forecast for Saturday.

Microspikes might be handy --Yaktracs for sure.

juma
12-26-2012, 14:20
I found, as have many, the yax break pretty easy. plus traction on a rough surface icy trail is not very good. the microspikes make hiking an icy trail doable and fairly safe. the problem is that the snow and rain will freeze at nite and become and icy mess for a lot of the next day.

after watching the ice storm here in fairfax for the afternoon and seeing more on the way for saturday, I'd call it off.

Debbie
01-07-2013, 11:26
Hi all;

Well, I went and am glad I did. It was COLD but I ran into relatively little ice (though there was some) The snow was not terribly deep and had some crust on the top, so not too difficult to walk in.

On Saturday, we did get snow, but it tapered off as the day went on. There was a lot of wind on Sunday, but sunshine. The next two days were bleak, but no more snow or ice. On the last day, I had sunshine again.

Juma, you are right about the Yaktrax. I found the traction good, but they do break easily. Thanks to Justin at Bears Den and Chris at Blackburn Trail Center for staple gunning the trax to my boots. That got me through. I did encounter some ice at Blackburn, and some at Loudoun Heights going down into HF.

All in all, the countryside in winter was beautiful and not something I get to see very often. I'm back in Miami slapping mosquitos and planning my next hike.

Happy New Year!

juma
01-07-2013, 13:13
good for you! stapling yaktrax, that may catch on!

Hi all;

Well, I went and am glad I did. It was COLD but I ran into relatively little ice (though there was some) The snow was not terribly deep and had some crust on the top, so not too difficult to walk in.

On Saturday, we did get snow, but it tapered off as the day went on. There was a lot of wind on Sunday, but sunshine. The next two days were bleak, but no more snow or ice. On the last day, I had sunshine again.

Juma, you are right about the Yaktrax. I found the traction good, but they do break easily. Thanks to Justin at Bears Den and Chris at Blackburn Trail Center for staple gunning the trax to my boots. That got me through. I did encounter some ice at Blackburn, and some at Loudoun Heights going down into HF.

All in all, the countryside in winter was beautiful and not something I get to see very often. I'm back in Miami slapping mosquitos and planning my next hike.

Happy New Year!

Cookerhiker
01-07-2013, 14:07
Hi all;

Happy New Year!

Sounds great!

LOL about those Florida mosquitoes. I'm leaving for FL after the Southern Ruck. Can you do something about them?:D

Debbie
01-08-2013, 09:41
I'm afraid not, Cookerhiker; they're our unofficial state bird. Just remember to bring DEET.