PDA

View Full Version : help me find a hike!

ohotard
12-10-2012, 22:15
I am taking my little sister on her first over night hike and need some help finding a good trail. I was hoping for a 3night 4day hike with some cool scenic views. I am also looking for a hike that would bring us back to where we start without covering too much of the same grounds? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

RodentWhisperer
12-10-2012, 22:39
First, welcome to WB!

As for a hike: your request would be easier to fulfill if you told us whereabouts you might be going. I see you're in "Nawlins;" are you planning to hike somewhere in... The Southeast? New England? The Rockies? The Pacific Northwest?

MuddyWaters
12-10-2012, 23:07
If its the AT you want, consider doing a point-to-point with a shuttle at the start, much more customizable.

For anyone to offer choices, you pretty much need to know how far you can hike in a day. Some people do 5 miles, some do 20 miles. Huge difference.

yellowsirocco
12-11-2012, 07:01
If you are going to NC then the Standing Indian Loop sounds like what you want.

But a 3night trip might be a bit much for a first trip. Do a single overnight first just to iron out any big issues.

Feral Bill
12-11-2012, 13:05
It would be advisable if you guys can arrange it through some travel agent or hotels that provide hiking. In the USA I'm not sure such things exist. There are hostel owners that might help, though.

Rocket Jones
12-11-2012, 13:29
Bill, that was a spammer (in the tagline). Reported.

waasj
12-12-2012, 15:22
Add Content

waasj
12-12-2012, 15:22
Standing Indian loop offers lots of options. Smokies also. You can access the AT several ways in SI from the campground, hike a day or three, then drop back down into the campground. SMNP offers many side trails to form loops back toward your starting point, although some backtracking may be involved.

xokie
12-12-2012, 16:17
The Ouachita Trail up in OK/AR is close by but may be a little wild and remote for a new hiker.