PDA

View Full Version : New here......where to start

Tree Nerd
12-10-2012, 23:32
Like it says, I am new on here and I have a lot of questions, but lets start with some background and main questions.

I was born and grew up in the suburbs of Akron, Ohio and I'm currently a student at the University of Kentucky. When I left for school I was planning on being a civil engineer, but as most of you probably know plans never stick. I am currently a senior in the Forestry Department, president of the forestry club, very active in the department, lots of forestry related awards/scholarships, graduating in the top of my class, etc. For the past two summers I have worked for the Nation Parks Service as a Wetland Biotechnician, I now work for the Lexington Fayette Urban County Government as a Land Management Technician......a lot of faculty, friends, and family think I have it made, but honestly I have no Idea what I want to do with my life anymore.

I have always been into the outdoors; hunting, camping, hiking, mountain biking, paintball, ATV's and dirt bikes, etc. But since I switched to forestry I got into backpacking. About two years ago I started reading books about people who have thru hiked the AT, I have about 6 under my belt, and I'm currently reading the Complete Walker 4. I have wanted to hike the AT since I read my first thru hiker book, it intrigued me; the adventure, the journey, the freedom, everything! Unfortunately, I never thought I would have the time. I thought that once I got out of school I had to find a job and start working immediately so I could support the family I wanted to start. Now that school is coming to an end for me (May, 2013), and recent changes in my love life left me astray, I feel like its time to take a hike lol.

Today I stopped by the office of the Chair of the Forestry Department and talked to him about hiking the AT. He thru hiked the AT when he graduated from college the first time. After about an hour of talking with him he told me, that if I was serious about this, that I should make a list of pros and cons of hiking the AT. Once i had that completed he said he would meet up with me again to discuss it. This conversation with him and this certain statement got me thinking and I couldn't think of any cons, it just got me excited.

Anyway, I will be graduating from UK this upcoming May and I would like to thru hike AT. Honestly, I don't know where to start....literally. I am going to hike it solo, initially, and I always wanted to hike it NOBO, but May is pretty late to get started hiking NOBO. Hiking SOBO is a possibility, but I dont know much about it. I figure, since i graduate in May and Trail Days in Damascus is about a week or two after that, going to Trail Days would be a good start. I have heard of flip flopping, and right now I see that as my best possibility; I could start in Damascus and go north after Trail Days, then come back to Damascus and go South to finish....I feel like that would be cheating, but like people say, "its about the journey, not the destination".

First question: Does anyone have any suggestions/input about how I should go about starting in May?

Now, I would also like to take along my baby girl, Maggie, but I am not convinced that it will be a good idea. I know there is a dog section on here, but I figure I would start here since I'm starting my first general post about thru hiking....She is a pitbull-boxer and she will be a year and a half old in May, 2013. I got her from an abusive owner when she was six months old, she was a pain to train, but a very good dog now. She always comes on short backpacking trips with me, and hasn't been too much of a hassle. The benefits I see with her is that she is a good companion, company is always nice, and she keeps me warm on cold nights. The down side, she would have to be on a leash a lot which makes trekking poles hard to use, the extra weight of food and water (unless she gets a backpack), and I'm sure there are regulations about dogs in certain parks.

Second question: Does anyone have any advice/input about taking Maggie with me?

Third question: Is there a place where I can make a list of my gear? I thought it would be in the user CP/profile, but I couldn't find it.

Well that is all I have for now, I'm sure I will have more. I want to thank anyone who reads my story and supplies me with comments.

Thanks much,
Luke

The Cleaner
12-10-2012, 23:48
Skip Trail Days and leave the dog at home.The trail seems to be more crowded every year.Less worry=better hiking.Reading about hiking is much easier than actually doing a thru hike.Go for it anyway you can always quit if something happens,regroup try again.Repeat........

Odd Man Out
12-11-2012, 00:09
Welcome to WB:

As for starting in May, the ATC web site link below has a nice page on thru-hike schedules. Your suggestion of starting in Damascus, hiking north, then finishing south to Springer is what they call "head start". You could also do a traditional NOBO hike (Springer to Katahdin) depending on how fast you hike and when in May you start. The next link has lots of great data on how long a "typical" thru hiker takes to hike various sections. You could use this to see which itinerary best suits your needs. In can be an advantage if you can avoid the lower elevation mid-Atlantic states in the summer heat and of course get to Katahdin before winter (which can be as early as October up there). Some people think that social aspect of a thru hike is important so hiking with the crowd of NOBO thru hikers (called "the bubble") might be a consideration, although for some people, avoiding the bubble is an objective. It's up to you. Just so you know, a lot of people will tell you to HYOH (hike your own hike), and then proceed to tell you exactly what you should and should not do. Oh Well.

I can't contribute much to the dog question, other than to say it can be a controversial topic. Check the dog forum first. I will go out on a limb and predict that your assertion that your dog would "be on a leash a lot" will get a response about needing to have your dog on a leash always (see link).

Lots of people will post their gear list for input (see today's example below). It helps to give your itinerary (dates, etc...) as you gear needs will be different depending on when and where you start.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking/when-where-to-start
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?44
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?439-Dogs-on-the-Appalachian-Trail
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?88039-Leash-your-dog-PLEASE!
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?90361-AT-thru-hike-gear-list-what-should-i-not-bring-or-change-Thank-you-for-the-help!!!

Blissful
12-11-2012, 00:12
On my hiking blog I delve into the differences between nobo (northbound) vs Sobo. I've gone both ways. And there is no right way to hike it - you do it the way you want with what works for you.

Tree Nerd
12-11-2012, 01:05
The Cleaner: Thanks for the kind words of wisdom......

Odd Man Out: Thank for the info and the links. I looked at the ATC site schedules once before, I just wanted to get some more opinions. As far as "the bubble" is concerned, I would like to avoid it; company is nice when backpacking, but becomes a nuisance to me. I need to do some searching around about Maggie, she is great company on the trail but will most likely become a problem on this long of a trip.

Blissful: Thanks for the info, Ill look into your blog tomorrow. Right now I have to get some sleep, I got exams tomorrow.

prain4u
12-11-2012, 13:10
Welcome.

Others have already suggested some possible itineraries for a May start.

I would second the idea of leaving the dog home--for the following reasons:

--There are parts of the AT where dogs are not allowed at all. (What do you do with the dog then?)

--On roughly 40% of the trail dogs are required (by law/regulation) to be on a leash at all times. (Not saying that people follow the law--just pointing it out).

--There are parts of the AT that are difficult or challenging for dogs to navigate.

--It needs to be a VERY well trained dog. If the dog is off-leash for just a moment and bolts into the woods chasing after another animal---you will (at the very least) lose time looking for the dog--or you may lose the dog totally. During certain encounters with a bear (or at times when you want to just quietly observe some wildlife and not scare it)---you don't want your dog barking or acting up.

--Not every hotel, hostel, pot office, store or restaurant is dog friendly. This may limit you choices--or you will have to at least figure out what to do with the dog while you patronize these establishments.

--Not everyone appreciates dogs that accompanying hikers.

--Dog food/gear is more weight that either you (or the dog) must carry--and the dog can carry only so much. Dog food must be resupplied. Water for the dog needs to be carried (2.25 lbs per liter).

--A thru hike is a challenging proposition that very few people are able to complete. A dog becomes just one more thing to keep track of and one more thing that can "go wrong" (become lost, sick, injured etc). To a certain extent, you have to plan your hike and your logistics around the dog. It would lessen your chances of completion (in my opinion).

(NOTE: I am not a dog hater I have had dogs most of my life. I currently have a 105 lb. Chocolate lab. People DO complete thru hikes with their dogs and would never dream of doing a thru hike without the dog being with them. I am just saying that bringing a dog adds additional concerns and considerations that can perhaps become burdensome over the course of 6 months and 2,100 miles).

Rocket Jones
12-11-2012, 13:27
Welcome Luke. I'd suggest going to the home page here and clicking on the link for "Articles". Lots of wisdom there to absorb.

Tree Nerd
12-11-2012, 14:09
prain4u: thanks for your comments on the dog situation. Most of what you said is what I have been thinking from the beginning. I have been on the fence about bringing her with me mainly because its going to be tough finding someone to watch her and being away from her for 6 months. I'm going to head over to the dog section to start a thread on that.

Rocket Jones: I have not yet checked this out. I will look into it later today, when I get home.

bigcranky
12-11-2012, 14:37
For a mid-May start, I would begin in Harper's Ferry heading north, then after reaching Katahdin I would flip south to HF and hike sobo to Springer.

This has several advantages:

1. A relatively easy start, especially compared to a straight SOBO hike.
2. You're a little ahead of the pack, and it'll be relatively cool through PA.
3. You get to "finish" twice, once at each terminus.
4. Excellent weather for your entire hike. It'll be warm enough in May and June for a light pack, then you'll be in Maine in late July when it's beautiful. You'll probably flip by early August depending on how fast you are hiking, so it'll be a little hot in Virginia for the first few weeks, then you'll have nice early fall weather.

There are some "cons" to a thru-hike:

1. It costs, both in money and opportunity cost. You'll need $4-6000 for the hike, and you'll give up the opportunity to earn money every month you are on the trail. You may also lose job opportunities to people who are not hiking.

2. It can lead to a life of wandering. As one triple-crown hiker told me, "the AT ruined me." He meant it in a good way, of course. But just be aware of the possibility.

Good luck and happy trails.

Tree Nerd
12-11-2012, 16:09
Big Cranky: Thanks for the suggestion. As for your pro's & con's 1) By the time may comes around Ill have the money to hike it, I have a job now that I don't plan on working at after school so don't mind losing it, also I don't even know what I want to do yet. I figure this is a good time to do it. 2) I have heard of this before and I know it can happen, but I doubt it will. Ya never know though....good think to keep on the radar.

Tree Nerd
12-11-2012, 16:15
Where does the 4-6k go toward, is this before or after gear? I already have the gear although there are a few things I would like to swap before starting. Obviously, the money is going to go toward travel cost to get to starting/flip points, food for the trail, food/lodging when in towns, mailing/mail-drops, broken/worn-out gear. What are the other cost?

Datto
12-11-2012, 16:50
Welcome. You're in for a fantastic lifetime opportunity when you undertake a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail.

The information in my "Datto's AT Thru-hiking Tips" may be of use to you: Here's the link on Whiteblaze:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?181-Datto-s-AT-Thru-Hiking-Tips

Also, since you may still be listing the pros and cons of tackling an AT thru-hike, you might be interested in a thread I started:Datto's List Of Top Ten Likely Benefits From Completing Your AT Thru-hikeHere's the link:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?88908-Datto-s-List-OfTop-Ten-Likely-Benefits-From-Completing-Your-AT-Thru-hike&p=1351900&highlight=#post1351900

Datto

bigcranky
12-11-2012, 21:00
Where does the 4-6k go toward, is this before or after gear?

You can search WB for many threads on the cost of a thru-hike. They can get rather contentious :). In short, the money gets spent in town -- on food for the trail, food in restaurants, hostels, motels, beer, showers, gear replacement, more food, etc. You can save money by hiking faster, not drinking or smoking, and not staying in town, though how realistic these are depends entirely on the individual hiker. Me, I like beer and showers.

Oh, and with regard to my "cons" -- really, you are in the best possible place to do this after college. It's much harder once you have a career, a family, etc. Trust me on this.

Hill Ape
12-12-2012, 14:52
TreeNerd... the money goes to beer and AYCE buffets. keep a tally, i'll bet it's your biggest expense. everything else is easy to budget, and predict, and control. food and beer are gonna getcha

give up on the mail drops, to much logistical hassle, opinions vary but when reality sets in, take half of everything including your plans... take twice the money, it's more flexible

Cookerhiker
12-12-2012, 15:06
If you'd like to meet at Common Grounds on High St. or any other suitable location, we can talk things over and I can give you my $.02. I've hiked the entire AT but not as a thruhiker. PM me if you're interested. I live very close to the UK campus.

walknrow
12-12-2012, 16:11
Welcome Luke, from a fellow newbie Buckeye, and good luck figuring it all out. :)

Tree Nerd
12-12-2012, 17:37
Again, thanks everyone for the info. Cookerhiker, I'll contact you soon.

Tree Nerd
12-12-2012, 21:28
Datto, Read your links today, good stuff.

I also read attroll's "planning a thru hike", also a lot of good info.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm hiking SOBO with one break (completely off trail) for my brothers wedding in September. I should be more than half way done by then and will be able to get picked up and dropped back off by a family member (no cost to me :D). I definitely have some gear i need to get, mainly minor things, the only big thing is a new sleeping bag/quilt.....I already have a thread going for that. Some of my winter gear/clothing needs to be fine tuned too. Besides that I have what i need. I need to start thinking about food, planning, and funds. I have been backpacking a lot and already have a good idea about food, plus since I'm in college, eating the the same thing for several weeks wont be a big deal to me. Im a very resourceful eater, rarely go out (once a week....maybe), I always make my own food and can live off what I have stockpiled in my cabinets for a couple months....my friends think I'm crazy. As far as planning, I don't want to stick to a very strict schedule I hate it when schedules far apart and I know it will), mainly I need to ID a rough start time and towns to hit for resupplies/mail. Im definitely going to be doing this on a budget (after gear), im looking at less than 2k. Due to my incredible thriftiness and ability to resist convenience over spending money , I don't think I will have a problem with this (all my friends call me a jew when really I'm a thrifty pollock).

Keep the posts coming, I love to hear what everyone has to say.

prain4u
12-13-2012, 10:16
....Im definitely going to be doing this on a budget (after gear), im looking at less than 2k. Due to my incredible thriftiness and ability to resist convenience over spending money , I don't think I will have a problem with this (all my friends call me a jew when really I'm a thrifty pollock)....

It is VERY, VERY rare (but not impossible) for someone to complete a thru hike with under $2,000 available for their use while on the trail. (See the numerous threads regarding the necessary budget for a thru hike).

If you are really going to be confined to a budget that will be "less than 2k" --you will probably need to resign yourself to the VERY distinct possibility that you will not complete a thru hike. You will probably be better off to set out with the goal of hiking as far as you can until your funds run out---and if you happen to complete a thru hike in the process that is simply a bonus. (My guess is you will have difficulty getting much past Harper's Ferry if traveling SOBO--as many people find the northern part of the trail to be more expensive than the Southern part. If you are real lucky and very frugal you might get to where the AT essentially follows the Tennessee/North Carolina border).

That still is a pretty good way to spend a few months and it will be a great experience. Enjoy your hike!

Tree Nerd
12-14-2012, 12:13
Thanks for insight. Depending on how the next few month go I will have more than that. There is a good possibility that I will be getting a scholarship from the department for 2K. If that happens Ill be sitting easy. If not I'm still looking at a 2k budget.

Tree Nerd
07-06-2013, 10:24
Well ya'll, I believe this was the first thread I started on here and it has been an awesome 6-7 months up to this point. The good news, I am 9 days into my thru hike and just got out of the 100 mile wilderness! I just wanted to thank everyone that has helped me or given me advice during my preping months.

Luke (a.k.a. Treegasm)

DavidNH
07-06-2013, 10:44
How old is your "baby girl" Maggie? I'm assuming we are talking under 6 and maybe under 3? since you spoke of your baby and not your daughter or toddler. This will definitely complicate things for you. When it is rainy for days on end.. or you hike through day after day in 90 plus and then your daughter will cry endlessly.. how ill you keep your sanity much less hers? A baby or toddler isn't going to carry much if any gear so that's on you.

Adding on to that.. you ALSO want to take your dog? Even assuming it's a nice well behaved dog (major assumption here) this will complicate things further. Not all of us want to meet dogs on the trail. The dog needs extra attention to be fed and kept under control.

Perhaps you should consider a section hike. or at the very least to a flip flop hike so you won't have the pressure of finishing by October 15 at Mt Katahdin. With a may start, and also bringing your baby daughter along.. you just arnen't going to be able to do the mileage you'd need to do do complete the trail before winter on a straight NB hike and possibly not on a flip flop either.

Think this thru. be realistic. I'd suggest leaving the dog home.. daughter is enough to deal with.

Tree Nerd
07-06-2013, 11:00
How old is your "baby girl" Maggie? I'm assuming we are talking under 6 and maybe under 3? since you spoke of your baby and not your daughter or toddler. This will definitely complicate things for you. When it is rainy for days on end.. or you hike through day after day in 90 plus and then your daughter will cry endlessly.. how ill you keep your sanity much less hers? A baby or toddler isn't going to carry much if any gear so that's on you.

Adding on to that.. you ALSO want to take your dog? Even assuming it's a nice well behaved dog (major assumption here) this will complicate things further. Not all of us want to meet dogs on the trail. The dog needs extra attention to be fed and kept under control.

Perhaps you should consider a section hike. or at the very least to a flip flop hike so you won't have the pressure of finishing by October 15 at Mt Katahdin. With a may start, and also bringing your baby daughter along.. you just arnen't going to be able to do the mileage you'd need to do do complete the trail before winter on a straight NB hike and possibly not on a flip flop either.

Think this thru. be realistic. I'd suggest leaving the dog home.. daughter is enough to deal with.

Already started. Baby girl is my dog maggie and she will be meeting me on the trail soon.

wornoutboots
07-06-2013, 22:56
Sorry I didn't wade through the whole thread, but from your OP. I would definitely say, start by heading out as many nights as you can alone in the Big South Fork, it's rugged, wild, you can put together many 12-15+ mile days & should help you calm any fears you may have about sleeping in the forest. It's a Great Training/Play Ground!