PDA

View Full Version : coolmax vs wool sock for summer hiking.

TheYoungOne
12-10-2012, 23:52
So I am looking to get some socks for hiking next year and I was looking at injinji (the weird toe socks) or some other brands of lightweight socks. I'm just wondering if I should go with wool or coolmax/poly. Wool seems to make my foot sweat more, but I assume coolmax/poly would stink more. For right now I'm only section hiking, so its just for dayhikes, or 2 to 3 days at the most.

ChinMusic
12-11-2012, 00:12
I have used all sorts of socks, including the Injinji. I have gone exclusively to merino wool socks year round. My preferred brand is Smartwool.

4Bears
12-11-2012, 00:18
What I prefer to do is wear a liner sock, like wigwam, they help to wick away the moisture, and a HIGH quallity merino wool sock. Since I went to this combo I have avoided blisters. In hot weather I like a thinner wool sock, thick in the winter. YMMV

atmilkman
12-11-2012, 00:19
+1 on merino wool year round. Right through the water and all. Smartwool and WigWam.

moytoy
12-11-2012, 03:52
The nice thing about wool is that washing methods for wool fit nicely with long distance hiking. 1. Soak in water for a couple of hours or overnight. 2. Use a little mild soap if you need to but it's not really mandatory. 3. Rinse until the water runs clear. 4. Use your camp towel to wick out some of the water and then let dry on the outside of your pack while you are hiking. If you read about keeping your wool clean this method seems to go along perfectly with the proper way to clean wool. I wear wool socks even when I'm not hiking and I have a tendency to wash my socks too often and the fibres dry out.
Having said that I still experiment with poly socks and NordicTrack sells a light moisture wicking sock that I like. Sometimes called Polylite. They are 97 percent polyester, 2 percent rubber and don't hold orders like a lot of the poly socks I've tried.

fredmugs
12-11-2012, 08:50
My blister problems largely went away when I switched to wide width trail runners and cheap wal mart socks. Hiking socks are only good for sleeping in on cold nights.

prain4u
12-11-2012, 09:59
I have used all sorts of socks, including the Injinji. I have gone exclusively to merino wool socks year round. My preferred brand is Smartwool.

I agree. I switched to SmartWool brand socks four years ago. Now they are all that I like to wear while hiking

prain4u
12-11-2012, 10:19
My blister problems largely went away when I switched to wide width trail runners and cheap wal mart socks. Hiking socks are only good for sleeping in on cold nights.

I switched to extra wide-width (size 4E) New Balance trail runners (and Smart Wool socks) four years ago. No blister problems for me.

HOWEVER, on JUST ONE week long trip into a wilderness area, I made the mistake of wearing a pair of Skechers that I had previously worn everywhere with no problem (urban areas, vacation to Europe, lots of hikes on "short" local hiking trails). They were always super comfortable. On this particular hike, lots of rain and lots of hills happened. My blisters (caused by the Skechers) were so bad that I will probably have lifelong scarring. I went back to the New Balance (and SmartWool combo). I sure won't make that mistake again!

Malto
12-11-2012, 11:11
How many runners wear wool in the summer? Very few In reality, runners (especially trail runners) and backpackers share the same need with socks. You might want to play around with some running socks like wrightsocks. I wear wear lo quarter Coolmax Wrightsocks in all but the coldest weather. They are light enough that I use three pairs, one worn, one drying and one clean. As far as stench. You can use foot powder with a bit of medicated foot powder mixed in. You will have the best smellin feet on the trail.

ChinMusic
12-11-2012, 11:15
How many runners wear wool in the summer? Very few In reality......

And I should care, why?

Merino wool, year round, work or play, works for me.

prain4u
12-11-2012, 12:37
How many runners wear wool in the summer? Very few In reality, runners (especially trail runners) and backpackers share the same need with socks. You might want to play around with some running socks like wrightsocks. I wear wear lo quarter Coolmax Wrightsocks in all but the coldest weather. They are light enough that I use three pairs, one worn, one drying and one clean. As far as stench. You can use foot powder with a bit of medicated foot powder mixed in. You will have the best smellin feet on the trail.

And I should care, why?

I agree completely with ChinMusic (must be a Central Illinois thing). I have never been more comfortable (in roughly 40 years of hiking) than since I discovered Merino wool socks (specifically SmartWool brand). I wear them even in hot August temperatures. Absolutely love weariing them.

My feet have a tendency for skin problems. Highly synthetic socks cause my to dry and crack--or to become damp and have skin breakdown.

I have had zero foot problems since I switched to the SmartWool socks (except for the one hike where I wore the wrong shoes).

CarlZ993
12-11-2012, 12:48
For short duration hiking, I don't think there's much difference between the two types of Injinji socks. I wear the synthetic Injinji socks all the time to run (wearing them now). Been using them for years. I haven't tried the wool version, though. Buy a darker color. It hides the dirt better and can help speed up drying in the sun.

For hiking, I personally wear wool socks year round. Either Smartwool brand or the REI clone version of the same sock. I usually wear the running crew length sock (just over the ankle). I don't wear really tall boots when I wear boots. I don't use a liner. Again, this is my personal preference and I almost never blister. On my longest hike (220M on the JMT), I used two pair of these socks and got one small blister on the next to the last day.

SawnieRobertson
12-11-2012, 12:49
I first heard of Smartwool socks at the then Stover Creek Shelter in 1998. Life has been better, regardless of season, since.--Kinnickinic

atmilkman
12-11-2012, 12:57
For short duration hiking, I don't think there's much difference between the two types of Injinji socks. I wear the synthetic Injinji socks all the time to run (wearing them now). Been using them for years. I haven't tried the wool version, though. Buy a darker color. It hides the dirt better and can help speed up drying in the sun.

For hiking, I personally wear wool socks year round. Either Smartwool brand or the REI clone version of the same sock. I usually wear the running crew length sock (just over the ankle). I don't wear really tall boots when I wear boots. I don't use a liner. Again, this is my personal preference and I almost never blister. On my longest hike (220M on the JMT), I used two pair of these socks and got one small blister on the next to the last day.
I just got 3 pair of the REI low cuts and have been giving them a try. I'm in FL right now and have been doing 12's 6 days a week on a wood chip trail in the county park. It ain't much but it's something. The socks are perfoming suprisingly well. I'd buy them again.

Malto
12-11-2012, 14:25
And I should care, why?

I give up, why should you care????? But others open to possibilities may want to look beyond a very narrow solution set to others who have solutions to even more challenging environments. If wool works for you then great.

Deacon
12-11-2012, 16:36
I've gone back and forth trying to decide between merino wool and cool max. I found I couldn't make a decision until I hiked at least 10 miles. That's when I started having a problem with Coolmax. Yes they keep feet dry, but if you look closely at the weave, the weave is made up of tiny ribs. Constantly stepping on those ribs caused the bottoms of my feet to get really sore and sensitive right at about 10 miles of walking.

I've found that any merino wool sock to be comfortable in any temperature. I personally like Darn Tough brand socks because they have a very high percentage of merino content - more than Smartwool socks, but either brand is good.

MuddyWaters
12-11-2012, 19:26
Depends on footwear.
Doesnt matter with trail runners or good fitting shoes as long as its THIN.
In fact, the thinner, the better, the better it breathes, the quicker it dries, the cooler the foot is
Contrary to what you have been led to believe by marketing

Some wear mens thin dress socks
Make sure the toes are roomy and not too tight

I find my thin wool socks (DeFeet) the cushiest feeling, but use them interchangeable with other thin synthetics. Wool dries slower.

McPick
12-11-2012, 20:38
While hiking the AT, I purchased numerous pairs of hiking socks. Wool, wool blends and silk. And while I only wore my thin silk socks at night, the others were sufficient, especially in the winter, early spring and late fall. However, during the hot summer, even while wearing my Vasque Breeze boots, my feet got hot. While restocking food supplies at a Wal-Box store somewhere along the AT, I searched the sock section to see if I could find a non-cotton sock that might be cooler. I found these... Dr. Scholl's Diabetes and Circulatory Health Crew Socks.

(From a retail web site...) Dr. Scholl's Diabetes and Circulatory Health Crew Socks are engineered to enhance circulation and provide dry use all day long. Featuring excellent moisture-wicking properties for maximum dryness and comfort. The DSM-9125 utilizes a non-binding top to improve circulation and to keep the legs unrestricted. The Diabetic Health Crew socks showcase non-irritating, smooth toe seam construction to provide added comfort in the toe area, while anti-Odor fabrication keeps your socks fresh.

The Dr. Scholl's Circulatory Health Crew socks are specifically treated with an antimicrobial agent that resists bacterial odors, even after repeated washings, allowing for long lasting use and wear wash after wash. A classic crew length provides mid-calf coverage while a 2-pack design provides great value. King Size (big & tall) is designed with extra length in the foot and leg for a custom fit and extra comfort.

Features include:
• Fabric Content: 51% Polyester, 41% Acrylic, 7% Nylon, 1% Spandex
•Non-Binding Top Allows For Better Circulation
•Non-Irritating Smooth Toe Seam
•Keeps Feet Drier
•Odor Resistant
•Made In The U.S.A.
•Accepted By The American Podiatric Medical Association
•Sold As A 2-Pack ( I think I paid $12 for the 2-Pack.)

I really like these socks. They are light, durable, comfortable, easy to wash and dry fast. They come in several styles (low cut, crew, etc.)Thankfully, for me, they come in size 12.5 to 14. Plus, the price is right. I still have all my other "hiking socks" and wear them in cooler weather. But in the heat of the late spring, summer and early fall, I'll wear these Dr. Scholl's socks every time!