PDA

View Full Version : Cove Mt/Dragons Tooth, McAfee Knobb and Tinker Cliffs

Tuckahoe
12-11-2012, 13:30
Friends and I are beginning to plan our next hike and are talking about taking in the section of the trail that includes Dragons Tooth, McAfee Knob and Tinker Cliff. We'd like to do about 40 miles over a few days. I do not yet have a map and guide.

What other communities are there near the area other than Roanoke and Salem? What is that section of the trail like and where are good beginning and ending points? As well as places to park cars and the sart and finish?

HikerMom58
12-11-2012, 14:07
Well, that's easy to answer... Daleville is the place where you can start that captures McAfee Knob & Tinker Cliffs... that's a 20 miles section right there.(ending at RT. 311) Next you will hit Dragon's tooth and take in another 20 miles section. Shuttles can be arranged. PM me if you want more info.

It will be clear, once you get your guide and map. :) It's a nice section of the trail!!

FlyPaper
12-11-2012, 15:15
Well, that's easy to answer... Daleville is the place where you can start that captures McAfee Knob & Tinker Cliffs... that's a 20 miles section right there.(ending at RT. 311) Next you will hit Dragon's tooth and take in another 20 miles section. Shuttles can be arranged. PM me if you want more info.

It will be clear, once you get your guide and map. :) It's a nice section of the trail!!

This is the section:
http://www.atdist.com/atdist?k1=FFE&k2=FN&h=cda75e25&year=2013

There is parking at the southern terminus, accessible via paved road. The northern end is in town and I'm sure you can find a place to park there. It is better to take Dragon's Tooth going north to south.

HikerMom58
12-11-2012, 16:50
Thanks FlyPaper and Yes, I agree it is better to hike that section Southbound...hands down. :) Plenty of great places to leave a car... no problem.

Tuckahoe
12-11-2012, 17:18
Why is this section better southbound?

Creek Dancer
12-11-2012, 17:31
Because whenever you go south, you are always going downhill. :) :)

Awesome section, by the way.

HikerMom58
12-11-2012, 17:32
It's hard to tell by looking at the A.T. Guide but hiking north from Dragon's tooth to Rt. 311 is a killer. It's so much easier Southbound.

I think hiking from 311 to McAfee then on to Tinker Cliffs is easier, as well, but I don't know that for sure. That 20 mile section is worth all the effort either way you do it....

FlyPaper
12-12-2012, 18:14
Why is this section better southbound?

There are some rock scrambles leading to Dragon's tooth. You climb "up" them going south bound, but have to go "down" them going north bound. There are some rocks that have iron bar ladder rungs hammered into them. That is the most treacherous section, and it is easier to do going south where you climb the ladders.

HikerMom58
12-12-2012, 18:52
Another good point... I've only hiked Dragon's tooth as an out and back hike so I didn't think about how it would feel so different carrying a backpack. I do remember, now, reading NOBO's thru -hikers journals, write, they threw their packs down ahead of them as they hit the rocks with the iron bars in them. It can get technical!

kolokolo
12-12-2012, 22:10
I hiked that section in August (starting at VA-620 and hiking NB to Daleville), and I didn't think that the hike up to Dragon's Tooth was that bad. Personally, I find a steep descent tougher than a steep ascent.

Hikerhead
12-12-2012, 22:22
If your doing that 40 miles of trail ending or beginning at Daleville, I don't think it matter which way you go, Nobo or Sobo. The ups and downs will equal out. But if I was only doing the 20 miles from 311 to Daleville, I would do it Nobo.

Blissful
12-12-2012, 22:31
I've done it both ways. I prefer it NOBO.

Slo-go'en
12-12-2012, 23:23
Yes, that is an interesting scramble up and down Dragons tooth. SOBO might be a little less scary as the north side is more exposed. Was very glad I got to do it in good weather. Definately don't want to be up there during a thunderstorm!

Anyway, Daleville to Rockfish gap is really the highlight of Virginia.

SCRUB HIKER
12-13-2012, 03:35
It's the woods. Sometimes you have to climb stuff. Don't worry about which way will get your hands less dirty, just know that this is an awesome section, the best in Virginia IMO (Grayson Highlands fans might argue that point).

I did this section with my girlfriend when I was back in old Virginny for a wedding this September. We got a shuttle from Del Schecterly in Daleville south to the VA620 trailhead (not a trailhead so much as a place where the trail crosses a dirt road) and hiked NOBO to our car in the Kroger parking lot in Daleville. The Kroger is a half-mile roadwalk from where the trail comes out onto the main highway in town. You can park there for free, with no permission, in relative safety. You can also do all your pre-trip groceries and post-trip Pizza Hutting there. You couldn't ask for easier logistics for a section hike. Our shuttle man Del was great, but it did cost $60, so if HikerMom is offering you a ride for less, consider that. If you'll be shuttling yourself with multiple vehicles, there is nowhere to park at the south end at the 620 crossing, but there might be at 621, as someone has suggested above.

HikerMom58
12-13-2012, 07:48
Scrub Hiker... great advice! There isn't good parking at 620 but there's excellent parking at VA 621, Craig Creek Valley. I can help out with shuttles....

rpcv
12-14-2012, 11:58
We did this last New Year's Eve. It is a wonderful hike. We basically hiked it per Mid-Atlantic Hikes's instructions (http://www.midatlantichikes.com/triplecrown.htm), but we added Dragon's Tooth on as an out and back, which added a little bit to our total distance. We did a car shuttle, leaving a car at the park and ride just off of I-81 in Daleville. There is a short side trail at the back corner of the lot that goes straight to the AT. We then drove south and left a car at the Dragon's Tooth parking area on 311 a couple of miles west of the Appalachian Trail. We hiked up to the AT on a side trail, hiked southbound to Dragon's Tooth and then did the rest of the hike northbound.

My account of the hike and photos can be found here (http://silverspringwanderer.blogspot.com/2012/01/new-years-appalachian-trail-backpacking.html).

HikerMom58
12-14-2012, 12:35
We did this last New Year's Eve. It is a wonderful hike. We basically hiked it per Mid-Atlantic Hikes's instructions (http://www.midatlantichikes.com/triplecrown.htm), but we added Dragon's Tooth on as an out and back, which added a little bit to our total distance. We did a car shuttle, leaving a car at the park and ride just off of I-81 in Daleville. There is a short side trail at the back corner of the lot that goes straight to the AT. We then drove south and left a car at the Dragon's Tooth parking area on 311 a couple of miles west of the Appalachian Trail. We hiked up to the AT on a side trail, hiked southbound to Dragon's Tooth and then did the rest of the hike northbound.

My account of the hike and photos can be found here (http://silverspringwanderer.blogspot.com/2012/01/new-years-appalachian-trail-backpacking.html).

Awesome pics and description of the hike!! Especially love the Dragon's Tooth pic.. :)

Seatbelt
12-14-2012, 13:19
Here is a great video of this section.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHPlURcGIVM

HikerMom58
12-15-2012, 11:29
Cool video ...thanks Seatbelt!

goheelz
01-05-2013, 20:25
Not trying to hijack, but can anyone recommend a 20ish mile route that includes McAfee's? Looking to do a two day hike in the spring. We'll have 2 cars so we'll be shuttling them. I figure a hike including McAfee to Tinkers cliff or Dragon's Tooth to McAfee's would work (either direction).

HikerMom58
01-05-2013, 20:33
If you put a car on 311 and have a car in Daleville that's almost exactly 20 miles. Within that section you will hike McAfee & Tinker Cliffs. It's a nice 20 mile section.

coolness
01-05-2013, 20:57
Yes it is HikerMom!! Staying overnight at Lambert's Meadow is almost required!! It's almost halfway between Rt. 311 and Daleville. Hiking around Carvin's Cove on the way to Daleville is beautiful...... Heading north between Lambert's Meadow and Daleville look for a tree growing through a tire. It should be to the left of the trail. Pretty cool.

johnnybgood
01-06-2013, 00:15
Rt.311 at Catawba northbound to Daleville is 20 miles. Highlights include McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs,(good views back to McAfee),and superb ridgeline hiking.

Park one car in Daleville in the parking lot at the Outdoor Trails Outfitters off US 220. Park the other car at the Rt.311 parking area.

goheelz
01-06-2013, 07:48
Wow-thanks so much for the quick replies. Cant' wait to get there.

coolness
01-07-2013, 23:02
You won't regret it. It's a nice hike with views you'll never forget!! :D

Wow-thanks so much for the quick replies. Cant' wait to get there.

Malto
01-07-2013, 23:32
311 to Daleville is the answer. Just did it Saturday. Has both mcafee and tinker.

Southerner
01-07-2013, 23:47
You could actually do a loop, which would eliminate the need for a shuttle or having two vehicles. Park at say Va. 311, hike the AT north to Scorched Earth Gap, take the Andy Layne Trail to Va. 779, take the North Mountain Trail which continues across 779 (the Andy Layne Trail and the North Mountain Trail used to be part of the 70s-80s AT). The North Mountain Trail goes along the ridge and ends near the convenience store at the intersection of 311 and Va. 624 (Newport Road). Follow Newport Road for about 0.2 miles to the trail crossing, hook a left (northbound), and follow the AT back to 311. You could tack-on Dragon's Tooth as an out-and-back diversion from the loop at Va. 624 by going southbound instead of northbound. I think the loop itself would be just under 30 miles, and, if you added an out-and-back to Dragon's Tooth, you would be looking at 35 or so.

HikerMom58
01-07-2013, 23:56
You could actually do a loop, which would eliminate the need for a shuttle or having two vehicles. Park at say Va. 311, hike the AT north to Scorched Earth Gap, take the Andy Layne Trail to Va. 779, take the North Mountain Trail which continues across 779 (the Andy Layne Trail and the North Mountain Trail used to be part of the 70s-80s AT). The North Mountain Trail goes along the ridge and ends near the convenience store at the intersection of 311 and Va. 624 (Newport Road). Follow Newport Road for about 0.2 miles to the trail crossing, hook a left (northbound), and follow the AT back to 311. You could tack-on Dragon's Tooth as an out-and-back diversion from the loop at Va. 624 by going southbound instead of northbound. I think the loop itself would be just under 30 miles, and, if you added an out-and-back to Dragon's Tooth, you would be looking at 35 or so.

That is a really NICE loop idea! :) I never thought of doing that!!

Dr. Professor
01-08-2013, 01:23

+1

That loop looks great.

goheelz
01-13-2013, 08:34
Would love to do 30 miles, but not sure some of the scouts with us can pull that off. We'll see how they do during shake down hikes this year.
Since we will be coming from Ohio and arriving late, is there decent camping on trail close to one of the trailheads? Trees are needed since just about everyone uses a hammock.

Thx

SOBO_Pace
01-13-2013, 09:32
If I remember correctly there was some construction going on just a little bit south of Daleville, but there is still plenty of places to set up hammocks. I don't recall water thru there either but maybe there was a stream. I think this section may have been very dry when I came thru. There was water at the first shelter though.

Southerner
01-13-2013, 19:01
I am assuming the trailheads you (goheelz) are referencing would be the Va. 311 crossing / McAfee's parking lot and US 220 near Daleville.

1.) If memory serves me correctly, that section has a "designated campsites-only" rule due to the high usage and narrow public right-of-way.
2.) There is water just south of Daleville. In fact, you cross Tinker Creek, a major tributorary of the Roanoke River. However, I don't think camping is legal, not to mention desirable, in that stretch between the crest of Tinker Mountain and US 220. Further, you will want to hike the section NOBO with your Scouts as SOBO is substantially harder in that section.
3.) Just a mile northbound of Va. 311, you will reach Johns Spring Shelter. That might be the best place for a late arrival (hopefully your Scouts can night hike for one mile). It would also be a fitting place since, prior to RATC building the current shelter at the site, there used to be an unofficial, ramshackle shelter known locally as the "Boy Scout Shelter."
4.) A couple of hundred yards south of the Va. 311 / McAfee's parking lot, there is an informal campsite that would be tight, but perhaps adequate for a small troop, especially if many of the Scouts are hammocking. There is no water at the site as it is on a ridge of Catawba Mountain, but, if you arrive by car, you could just bring extra water for that night and refill on the way out the next morning.

HikerMom58
01-13-2013, 20:00
I agree with just about everything Southerner stated...
I think you should hike NOBO so that would have you starting at Va 311. I would go ahead & hike the 1 mile NOBO to Johns Spring Shelter. That's a nice one. You should have plenty of space for hammocks.

If you hike straight thru it's 20 miles to get to Daleville rt 220. But, you can break that 20 miles up with Lamberts Meadow Shelter coming with in with rave reviews for a great overnight place to stay. You won't be disappointed like coolness said... :)

If you hiked this section it would include McAfee Knob and Tinker Cliffs but not Dragon's Tooth. I think it would still be a great hike minus Dragon's tooth. Dragon's tooth can get "technical" in places .

Once in Daleville , it has everything you would need for hungry Boy Scouts to eat. Lots of choices!

Hope we've helped you! :) Let us know, if you have any more questions!

mtntopper
01-13-2013, 20:23
Not trying to hijack, but can anyone recommend a 20ish mile route that includes McAfee's? Looking to do a two day hike in the spring. We'll have 2 cars so we'll be shuttling them. I figure a hike including McAfee to Tinkers cliff or Dragon's Tooth to McAfee's would work (either direction).

Here is another trip route you can take..............
Hike Andy Layne Trail to AT, go north and tag Tinker Cliffs,
backtrack south on AT, camp at Campbell shelter, next day tag McAfee then continue south on AT crossing route 311
or (tag Tinker cliffs and McAfee same day continue south on AT camp at Catawba Shelter or John Springs shelter) then
continue south on AT to tag Dragons Tooth,
than back track on AT north .7 mile to gap then hike blue blaze trail down to Dragons Tooth parking lot (if you dont think you can make Dragons tooth bail out
on yellow blaze Boy Scout trail to Dragons tooth parking lot

this route can be done, get an early start

Tuckahoe
04-22-2013, 21:25
Settled on a trip from Pickle Branch Shelter to Rt 220. Appears to be plenty of water sources at the several shelters and camps, however, what are sources like along the trail between the shelters?

HikerMom58
04-22-2013, 21:34
Settled on a trip from Pickle Branch Shelter to Rt 220. Appears to be plenty of water sources at the several shelters and camps, however, what are sources like along the trail between the shelters?

Ok.. you're going to love it. Are you going NOBO or SOBO? I would suggest SOBO. Do you know Cedar Tree on here, Tuck? He just did that section a week or so ago. He mentioned something to me about having to carry water b/c of the lack of water in that section. I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you PM him about that. I can drop water at the one shelter he mentioned didn't have a good water source, that would be the Johns Spring Shelter.

Deer Hunter
04-22-2013, 21:53

Not between shelters but I seem to remember that there is no water for almost the last nine miles into Daleville. You cross a creek just before you get into Daleville but it is only a few minutes from Daleville.

Donde
04-22-2013, 22:00
Great section you will love it! Also you need to time it to be in Catawba Thur-Sun, 'causeif you don't eat at the HomePlace you're wrong! Have a great hike!

Tuckahoe
04-22-2013, 22:15
Ok. you're going to love it. Are you going NOBO or SOBO? I would suggest SOBO. Do you know Cedar Tree on here, Tuck? He just did that section a week or so ago. He mentioned something to me about having to carry water b/c of the lack of water in that section. I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you PM him about that. I can drop water at the one shelter he mentioned didn't have a good water source, that would be the Johns Spring Shelter.

We are going to do the section north bound. The rough plan is to park somewhere around Daleville, such as the park and ride or one of the other suggested sites. Catch a shuttle of some sort to take us up to VA620 and walk up to Pickle Branch Shelter to camp.

1st day will be from Pickle Branch Shelter to around the stream crossing/old hydro dam. 2nd day will be from the dam to Catawba Mt Shelter. 3rd day from Catawba Mt Shelter to Lamberts Meadow campsite. And the 4th day we will hike into Daleville.

We are intending just an easy stroll and to enjoy a week off work.

ETA -- the milage each day really isn't any great distance. I'm sure it will be no effort to carry enough water to get from one camp to the next.

HikerMom58
04-22-2013, 22:31
We are going to do the section north bound. The rough plan is to park somewhere around Daleville, such as the park and ride or one of the other suggested sites. Catch a shuttle of some sort to take us up to VA620 and walk up to Pickle Branch Shelter to camp.

1st day will be from Pickle Branch Shelter to around the stream crossing/old hydro dam. 2nd day will be from the dam to Catawba Mt Shelter. 3rd day from Catawba Mt Shelter to Lamberts Meadow campsite. And the 4th day we will hike into Daleville.

We are intending just an easy stroll and to enjoy a week off work.

ETA -- the milage each day really isn't any great distance. I'm sure it will be no effort to carry enough water to get from one camp to the next.

Ok... I see that plan in my book. If you need a shuttle to VA620, let me know. What DH said is true about the last 9 miles into Daleville not much water along the trail until right before you get into Daleville. You can park your car at the park n ride. You should have a nice hike! :)

Dogwood
04-23-2013, 12:52
GREAT part of the AT! You'll enjoy it. REALLY SCENIC!