PDA

View Full Version : Zpacks Arc Blast

kyletak
12-11-2012, 16:10
Long time stalker on the WB forums, yet first time poster.

I have been a hiker for quite some time. I have done several section hikes of the AT and have since learned to reduce my pack weight considerably. I originally started out hiking with an Osprey Aether 70, and with all of the room decided to pack everything and then some. My first trip resulted in packing about 55 lbs of gear (including food/water), which included but certainly not limited to, a 2 lb knife, 3 books, and a rubix cube... I have since reduced my weight considerably, and depending on the season my base weight is around 10-14 lbs. Not necessarily super ultra light, but definitely a step up (down?) from my first outing on the trail. I have been looking into different backpacks to purchase as my Aether is quite heavy. I believe on the REI website it is listed at either 4-5 lbs. Not sure if this is completely accurate though because it most certainly doesn't feel like 4-5 lbs when empty.

I have recently been purchasing several items that are made of this relatively new wonder material, cuben fiber. While it does seem rather durable, I am wondering if anyone has any experience with cuben fiber backpacks, more specifically the Arc Blast. Do they have the potential for the long haul (thru hike) if properly cared for and maintained. IE no throwing on pavement etc. I am very interested in the Zpacks Arc Blast backpack as it is unbelievably light weight and seems to be made by a rather reputable backpacker. If anyone has an Arc Blast and would be willing to shed some light on its durability and functionality (most specifically the mesh in the back and the durability of the frame) I would be eternally grateful. I would really like to hear some feedback before spending 300+ on a backpack.

Thank you in advance!
-Kyle

mountainman
12-11-2012, 20:42
Don't know about the arc blast but I have the blast 30 and love it.. The most I've carried is 19lbs. these packs are made for light weight meaning you'll have to go light on everything. They replaced the tube frame on my pack without charge

ChinMusic
12-11-2012, 23:57
I have been using the ZPacks Exo for over a year. I sent it in to ZPacks to have it upgraded into the Arc Blast design (a pretty simple modification). As an Exo it worked perfectly after getting the version 2 (thicker) carbon stays. I will be taking the Arc on a 1-week trip to Arkansas next week. I can repost here once I return.

The only difference between the Exo and the Arc is the shape of the stays and how the shoulder straps are connected. There is some added mesh as well. But the packs are basically the same.

I am assuming the Arc design will be easier on the back in hot weather. They have discontinued the Exo

kyletak
12-12-2012, 21:54
Thanks for the replies! I look forward to hearing your review after your 1 week trip.

old geezer
12-12-2012, 22:08
Like Chin Music, I upgraded to the Blast from the Exo
I haven't used it yet, but all my stuff fits
However the curve in the pack is a little annoying when trying to stuff all my gear in
Only issue so far
The company is GREAT to work with---they upgraded me for no charge
Johnnie Walker

Hosaphone
12-12-2012, 23:15
Holy crap that pack is cool. Must....resist.... buying more stuff I don't need....

bigcranky
12-13-2012, 08:33
Holy crap that pack is cool. Must....resist.... buying more stuff I don't need....

Nah, resistance is futile. You really NEED a new pack. :)

Hosaphone
12-13-2012, 13:22
Nah, resistance is futile. You really NEED a new pack. :)

No, I NEED another tarp, new sleeping bag, more stoves, new socks, a different hat, a lighter headlamp, a lighter pot....

I just WANT a new backpack ;)