PDA

View Full Version : Hammocks on new Collegiate Peaks Trail option

Paskids
12-11-2012, 20:48
I had made up my mind to use my hammock and tolerate a few days in the later sections that I might not be able to use it. That is until the new option became available to hike the Collegiate section. I'm guessing that most of it will be above treeline. How many miles is the alternate and is any of it compatible with my hammock.

Thanks

bearcreek
12-13-2012, 11:11
With a bit of planning, you should not have any problem finding trees for the hammock. The route is up and down with no stretches longer than 10-12 miles or so without trees. A new piece of trail, expected to go online in 2014, will have about 15-16 miles of high ridge. This year you will experience more of an issue when you get further south in segments 22-24 between Spring Creek Pass and Elk Creek. You will probably need to cowboy camp at least one night in there or hike down off the ridge to find trees.

The Colorado Trail Foundation (www.coloradotrail.org (http://www.coloradotrail.org)) will be offering detailed maps of the new route in a revised Mapbook expected to be released sometime this winter.

Paskids
12-13-2012, 21:14
Thanks Bearcreek. My bones are too old to spend the entire trip sleeping on the ground. If there were significant portions where my hammock wouldn't work I would probably go to a tent. I think I'll stay with the hammock and use my tarp for cover when there's not any trees.

ceiling
01-29-2013, 21:33
I am in the same situation. I would really like to bring my hammock as well, But i heard what you said about trees being an issue.

colorado_rob
01-29-2013, 21:44
Having hiked/camped extensively in that area, I find it hard to believe you'll have more than a few miles w/o suitable trees. I do need to look at the map of the new trail segment though... so I reserve the right to be completely wrong here...

In all the thousands (maybe over 10000) of miles of backpacking in CO, I doubt if I've camped above treeline more than a half dozen times. treeline varies, but usually above 11,500 feet, sometimes over 12,000 feet with suitable hammock trees very close to treeline.

ceiling
01-30-2013, 00:24
Sweet deal! Hopefully youre right! haha if not i could just rough it for a night or 2..