PDA

View Full Version : Warbonnet BB 1.1 or 1.7

blue indian
12-12-2012, 12:32
I am going to get a WBBB for xmas and has a few questions for you WBBB users out there. I am 6'0 and weigh around 150 lbs. No prior experience with hanging.

First, would I notice a difference in comfort level between the 1.1 and 1.7?

Second, I am not sure if I should go for a single or double layer. I do not have an underquilt (which is something I would like to invest in the future if I decide hanging is for me). So for the time being I would use my inflatable (exped ul synmat) Do you think I could get away using a single layer for now? I really like the weight savings (7 oz) of the single layer vs double, but since I dont have an underquilt, Im not sure if this would work or not. Also any preferences on the suspension system?

I am trying to make this setup as light as possible without losing comfort. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Flounder940
12-12-2012, 12:54
The double layer will help the pad stay in place by placing the pad between the two layers, so I would definitely go that route. I went from a 1.7 DL to a DL 1.1 and there was no change in the comfort level. I think if you went with a single layer and tried using a pad with it, you will get frustrated by the pad moving around on you.

gearfreak
12-12-2012, 13:13
I recently purchased a 1.7 SL. I'm 6'3" and 190. I knew I was going the UQ route when I bought it. I suspect you could use your pad partially inflated inside the hammock as a temporary measure. For someone of your stature the 1.1 should be fine for comfort, so it boils down to whether or not you want the flexibility of the DL for the modest additional weight.

tammons
12-12-2012, 14:44
I like dbllayer hammocks. They are more comfortable to me.
I tried inflatables in gathered end hammocks and did not like them.
Pads work better and in a dbl layer, but are bulky.

If you can MYOG it a bit and sew, you can build a Insultex UQ for pretty cheap.
Takes 4 yds of the stuff at $6.25 a yard plus some cover material if you want it.

http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/

Instructions for a 3 layer are on the hammock forum website MYOG section.

I just built a 2 layer that weighs 12.2 oz with a 1.1 oz ripstop shell on one side.
Will have an add in IX layer on top and a 2.5XP quilt I can add to the bottom for winter.

Otherwise you might want to save up for a 3/4 length down.
Wildness logics 20dF is $175 for one.

tammons
12-12-2012, 14:45
Oh I would personally get a dbl 1.1. Single 1.7 to save some weight.

Single 1.1 might work for you, but its really thin.

eagleJ
12-12-2012, 16:41
I'd go with the 1.1 DL since your going with a pad at first. Get the adjustable strap suspension, if weight becomes an issue you can easily change to whoopie slings. Good time to buy right now since Brandon (Warbonnetoutdoors ) has a Christmas sale going on right now.

gunner76
12-12-2012, 16:56
1.1 for you

burrito
12-12-2012, 17:17
i use a quilt with my 1.1dbl, but on occasion find that i need to use the pad when i have to go to ground,
as in alpine areas, so the double layer really makes it a lot more comfortable

blue indian
12-13-2012, 01:49
If I end up really enjoying a hammock, I will probably return my exped mat ( which cost $150) and get an underquilt.

If that ends up being the case should I just go for the lightest option, the single 1.1?

10-K
12-13-2012, 07:56
If I end up really enjoying a hammock, I will probably return my exped mat ( which cost $150) and get an underquilt.

If that ends up being the case should I just go for the lightest option, the single 1.1?

This is a good question..

I'm not a hammocker and the #1 reason is because of the weight penalty. I bought a WBBB double layer and in hindsight regret not buying a single.

I think it's possible to mitigate the hammock setup weight issue in various ways but if you ever do decide to lighten up you'll have to get a new hammock if you purchase the double layer.

T-Rx
12-13-2012, 08:20
I have a WBBB 1.1 Dbl and I use an underquilt. I use the pocket for supplemental insulation in the winter and I have also used it to put my wet clothes in overnight to dry them. Does anyone else dry things by this method? I have only done this a couple of times and it worked well, are there any downsides to it for my underquilt?

Country Roads
12-15-2012, 21:49
With your weight, you could use the 1.1 single, but I expect the 1.1 double would be more comfortable. It would also work better for pad use. To lighten it up, you could swap out the suspension.
If I could only have one Blackbird, it would be the 1.1 double (and I do have one and love it)

Darwin13
12-16-2012, 16:38
i have the 1.1 double layer. I am 6' 6'' and fluctuate between 220 to 230 lbs depending on whether I'm in basketball season or not. I have a great lay but would rather have gotten the 1.7 single layer for weight savings.

Cozy
12-16-2012, 19:19
I am going to get a WBBB for xmas and has a few questions for you WBBB users out there. I am 6'0 and weigh around 150 lbs. No prior experience with hanging.

Second, I am not sure if I should go for a single or double layer. I do not have an underquilt (which is something I would like to invest in the future if I decide hanging is for me). So for the time being I would use my inflatable (exped ul synmat) Do you think I could get away using a single layer for now? I really like the weight savings (7 oz) of the single layer vs double, but since I dont have an underquilt, Im not sure if this would work or not. Also any preferences on the suspension system?

I am trying to make this setup as light as possible without losing comfort. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I recently got my Bb 1.1 DL and love it. The DL is great for a pad and helps prevent Mosquitos from biting through. I recently got the under quilt but am still glad I got the DL. I believe it helps with stretch wear as well.

Warbonet has a 60 day no questions asked return policy. Try the DL. If you find you'll be better off with the SL, send the DL back and get the SL. you'll just be out the shipping costs. Good luck.

burrito
12-16-2012, 19:25

i would still go with the double,it's nice to have more insulation options, and the wieght penalty, in my opinion, is not enough to cut down on the versatility of a double layer hammock.
but ,then ,i'm not trying to go ultra lite.
good luck

Stir Fry
12-16-2012, 22:27
I'm 215lb and use a 1.1 dl WBBB. My 20* set up weighs 54oz. Thats the Hammock, WBBB, whoopy sling suspention, Under quilt, Home made, using Momentum 50 w/ 12 oz of down 2.5 inches + loft, and Tarp, .51 Cuben fiber. Not the cheepest but it works great.

bear bag hanger
12-17-2012, 10:00

The reason for offering the 1.7 WBBB is for heavier hangers. At 150 lbs, you should be fine with the 1.1 fabric. Since you looking to save weight, the single layer is about 5 oz less in 1.1 and the double layer is about 9 oz less than with the 1.7 fabric. I'd vote for using a double layer, instead of a single layer. It's a little heavier, but when you combine the weight of both the hammock and the pad or underquilt, the difference isn't that great. All else being equal, I'd say a underquilt will always weigh more than a pad, although the Expeds are about as heavy a pad as you can find. For me, a pad is much more comfortable with a double layer hammock than with a single layer hammock. With a pad, you have the option to go to ground if it becomes required. The double layer gives you a whole lot more options than a single layer does.

blue indian
12-17-2012, 21:26
Thanks for all the replies!

Do people really have problems with insects biting through the 1.1?

I was trying to keep the total weight of this system around around 2 lbs or less. But from what everyone is suggesting, it sounds like the double layer will be more versatile, which would put me closer to 2.4 lbs. Would it be worth it to try and go to woopie slings? Would it save that much weight?

Im terrible at making these comfort vs weight trade-offs....

Cozy
12-17-2012, 21:53

I was trying to keep the total weight of this system around around 2 lbs or less. But from what everyone is suggesting, it sounds like the double layer will be more versatile, which would put me closer to 2.4 lbs. Would it be worth it to try and go to woopie slings? Would it save that much weight?

Im terrible at making these comfort vs weight trade-offs....

From what the employee (a thru hiker who owes a Blackbird himself) at Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap told me, you still need tree straps with the woopie slings. He encouraged me to stick with the adjustable Webbing suspension because it's so simple to use and the weight savings 1-2 ounces) doesn't justify switching over.

As I did my research on hammocks, as you are now, I read in several threads that the skeeters can bite through a single layer hammock.

I plan to spray my Blackbird 1.1 DL with Sawyer's Permethrin (available at Walmart), but the DL will help.

Again, if you don't like the straps, send the hammock back within 60 days. Email Brandon at Warbonet and get the ounce difference between the adjustable webbing suspension and the woopie slings. If anyone will know, he will. Good luck.

rhjanes
12-17-2012, 23:10
I love my 1.7 WBBB Dbl. Putting damp clothes between the layers, I'd not thought of that. I'll try it.
And yeah, a 1.1 dbl or 1.7 dbl and skeeters can't bite thru it.

R1ma
12-18-2012, 16:13

They'll bite through a single 1.7 :( . Although my Hennessey is different than a WBBB.