PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Official A.T. Mileage

Lauriep
12-12-2012, 16:18
With the publication of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy's 2013 Appalachian Trail Data Book a couple of weeks ago, the new official mileage for the Appalachian Trail for 2013 is 2,185.9.

The trail grew in length about 0.7 when the Little Calf Mountain relocation was completed by the Potomac A.T. Club (PATC) this past fall. The relo is just north of Rockfish Gap in Virginia, bordering Shenandoah National Park, and now takes the trail over an open summit.

All the other trail mileage changes were small, although a mile was added north of Wapiti Shelter in southwest Virginia, where the mileage had been off for a number of years. Thanks to David "AWOL" Miller for identifying the discrepancy.

Thanks are in order to Dan Chazin for compiling the all the info for the A.T. Data Book, Brian King on ATC's staff for his work on publication of the book, and all the volunteers and other ATC staff members who provided information.

Laurie Potteiger
ATC

Astro
12-12-2012, 16:32
All the other trail mileage changes were small, although a mile was added north of Wapiti Shelter in southwest Virginia, where the mileage had been off for a number of years. Thanks to David "AWOL" Miller for identifying the discrepancy.

Wow, not only does AWOL put out the best guide, he also keeps everybody else straight.

FarmerChef
12-12-2012, 16:44

Ahh yes!! This is what I mentioned being told by locals in my other thread on how the guide was updated. Thanks for getting that taken care of!

johnnybgood
12-12-2012, 17:21
How ironic is it that the state with the most AT miles (by a LONG shot) gets 1.7 more miles added.

shelb
12-12-2012, 21:06
With the publication of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy's 2013 Appalachian Trail Data Book a couple of weeks ago, the new official mileage for the Appalachian Trail for 2013 is 2,185.9.

ATC

Thank you, Laurie, for getting us this information!

TJ aka Teej
12-12-2012, 21:13
Dan Chazin rocks! Congrats on the 35th annual Databook!!

Blissful
12-13-2012, 11:04
Wow, not only does AWOL put out the best guide, he also keeps everybody else straight.

Hikers work together for the common goal of preserving, helping and protecting the AT and its hikers.

No one does it "better" than another. We all strive to be the best we can be to help others and the trail.

This kind of talk creates division and I'm certain Awol does not advocate at all.

Furlough
12-15-2012, 11:06
Hikers work together for the common goal of preserving, helping and protecting the AT and its hikers.

No one does it "better" than another. We all strive to be the best we can be to help others and the trail.

This kind of talk creates division and I'm certain Awol does not advocate at all.

I did not find Astros comment as divisive at all, my point of reference is as a PATC member who worked with the Flying Mcleods on the Little Calf Relo and as someone who maintains a section of the AT as well.

Furlough

joshuasdad
12-15-2012, 18:00
I did not find Astros comment as divisive at all, my point of reference is as a PATC member who worked with the Flying Mcleods on the Little Calf Relo and as someone who maintains a section of the AT as well.

Furlough

And it was a nice relo! I may have been one of the first to hike it. Below is a picture from August 4, 2012.

So I hiked a little longer that day than expected...it was worth it.

Many Moons
12-15-2012, 19:14

The trail grew in length about 0.7 when the Little Calf Mountain relocation was completed by the Potomac A.T. Club (PATC) this past fall. The relo is just north of Rockfish Gap in Virginia, bordering Shenandoah National Park, and now takes the trail over an open summit.

Thanks are in order to Dan Chazin for compiling the all the info for the A.T. Data Book, Brian King on ATC's staff for his work on publication of the book, and all the volunteers and other ATC staff members who provided information.

Laurie Potteiger
ATC

Thanks for all you do ATC and Laurie. Hike On!!!

Miller

Furlough
12-15-2012, 23:24
Was it you and your son, that day? If so I remember you two. We were finishing up, "planting" the last of the trail sign posts and painting the whiteblazes.

Furlough

wcgornto
12-15-2012, 23:41
2185.9 minus 2178.3 = 7.6

That's a lot of miles that I have missed. I guess I am going to have to thru hike again to make up all of these official miles.

Hill Ape
12-15-2012, 23:47
wonder what the margin for error is, i've always thought the distance was a best guess, +/- 20 miles wouldn't surprise me. in the army we all used the same range beads, yet the differences were huge

joshuasdad
12-16-2012, 11:48
Was it you and your son, that day? If so I remember you two. We were finishing up, "planting" the last of the trail sign posts and painting the whiteblazes.

Furlough

I was hiking solo Aug 4. I saw the trail maintainers' tent when heading to the trailhead (Riprap) from Waynesboro for a relatively late start. By the time I reached the tent site, everyone had left. I did see a couple + a young son in a backpack who arrived at Calf Mountain summit just after me. You probably saw them.

BTW, extend my thanks to whoever left the cooler of water at the road intersection just before "cell phone tower" hill. Much appreciated on an August day on a dry ridge.

PJWetzel
12-16-2012, 19:04
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1809233

Hiked the Little Calf Mtn relo September 30, so I guess my double thru was actually 0.7 miles longer than I'm claiming based on the 2012 data. Beautiful addition to the AT, by the way. Formerly the trail just tromped thru the woods, and Little Calf Mountain was reached by an unmarked side trail.

Astro
12-16-2012, 22:15

Furlough

Thanks, it was not meant to be divisive. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Mountain Mike
12-16-2012, 22:39
My thanks go out to all that help maintain the AT in any form.

slims
12-26-2012, 11:04
What about Roan Mtn and Pond Flats? I thought this years Kincora Hard Core was spent adding new trail to those sections.

max patch
12-26-2012, 11:11
Please find another tenth of a mile so the decals will look better.

SevenPines
12-26-2012, 12:10
whenever Konnarock finishes the New River Relo, it will add a few miles and change that number yet again.
mind you, completing this relocation is so far out--we still have boulder field after boulder field for miles but I hope I'll be there when the relocation goes official!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgVI-oHL6I0 here's some secret footage of the new river relo.

Sly
12-26-2012, 12:59
Konnarock earns its name. Looks to be sweet trail.

joshuasdad
12-26-2012, 20:44
What about Roan Mtn and Pond Flats? I thought this years Kincora Hard Core was spent adding new trail to those sections.

I just hiked Pond Mountain (Watauga Dam to Walnut Mtn Road) and 19E to Carvers Gap (which is almost to Roan) this week. These sections definitely did not agree with my outdated TN/NC book. Baltimore Jack (he was at Kincora) mentioned that a crew (of women) just built the stairs from Laurel Falls on the first section, perhaps the reroute was the one to the streamside. On 19E to Carvers, there seemed to be a reroute up Hump Mountain, probably to get more views on the ascent and to moderate the grade. Paul With Bunions was camping near 19E, and warned me of that reroute. There might have also been a reroute between Hump and Little Hump, and also from the shelter to the Grassy Ridge Bald.

mhurley
12-26-2012, 22:35
They did reroute on the south side of Pond Mountain this year. Many more switchbacks. I hiked it a couple of weeks after they finished and opened it. Don't know how much distance that added.

slims
12-28-2012, 16:11
That's what I thought. Even if it isn't a lot of distance it should still be added to the 2013 mileage.

map man
12-28-2012, 16:36
Interestingly, the distance between Dennis Cove and the highway that goes into Hampton (the stretch that covers the Pond Mountain area) was 8.7 miles in the 2012 databook, but has shortened to 8.6 in the 2013. I'm guessing that though there was new trail construction a new distance was not calculated and submitted to the powers that be in time to be included for 2013. But who knows.

shelb
12-30-2012, 00:47
please find another tenth of a mile so the decals will look better.

.........lol

PJWetzel
01-03-2013, 12:22

I think Pond Flats was all finished, but when I did the south side of Roan mountain in Feb 2012 I counted 8 or 9 switch-backs in various phases of construction, set to replace the old badly eroded 'straight up the ridge line' trail. Some of the new trail was already white blazed, but most was orange flag tape and not completed. Surely some of that has been opened and surely adds to the length. Wonder if they're waiting for it all to be opened before they count it as 'official' (?)

slims
01-10-2013, 00:29
I went through that section at the end of April and there was some new trail but still quite a lot of orange flags as well.

Sly
01-10-2013, 01:55
Interestingly, the distance between Dennis Cove and the highway that goes into Hampton (the stretch that covers the Pond Mountain area) was 8.7 miles in the 2012 databook, but has shortened to 8.6 in the 2013. I'm guessing that though there was new trail construction a new distance was not calculated and submitted to the powers that be in time to be included for 2013. But who knows.

I don't know the circumstances but new trail can also shorten the overall length