PDA

View Full Version : Carver's Gap to US-19 E

sweaty yetti
12-12-2012, 16:25
Wanting to take my wife out for two days/one night on this short stretch this coming weekend, Dec 15-16. I thru hiked in 2010, but I don't have any experience with the AT this time of year. Does anybody know what I can expect as far as weather and snow on the ground this weekend? Do I need snowshoes? This section includes Big Hump and Little Hump Mountain. Thanks guys.
-Sonic

Tennessee Viking
12-12-2012, 16:58
It snowed pretty good in early November. My father was just up on Roan a couple weeks back. It was mainly muddy with only a little bit of snow. But expect anything from Roan this time of year.

weather.com says the forecast is just above freezing down in the town of Roan Mountain. Bakersville is showing lows in the 20s now going up to the high 30s. So expect it to be 15 to the 30s for the lows on trail. Rain is expected Sunday. Keep an eye on Raysweather.com. Its a local weather forecast to the area.

I haven't heard of any snowfall within the last week or so. You do want to insulate your water and protect your face (especially on the walks in the open areas). It will be windy and the wind chills will be low.

Check with Mountain Harbour B&B, they area just off the trail and can give you a good idea on weather.

Rasty
12-12-2012, 18:43
Mountain Forecast is showing an above freezing forecast for Roan High Knob
http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Roan-High-Knob/forecasts/1916