PDA

View Full Version : Wool/Cotton Socks?

sweaty yetti
12-12-2012, 19:08
I made the mistake of buying wool socks online without being able to see the exact materials they were made of. I obviously know cotton is a no-no when backpacking, which concerns me because the socks are 60% merino wool, 18% cotton, 15% polyester, 7% elastic. I was planning on using them in possibly temps that could potentially get below freezing and may be wet. Is the 18% cotton make these a bad idea for backpacking/hiking? Thanks guys
-Sonic

shelb
12-12-2012, 20:54
My advise is to NOT use them! Purchase either: Darn Tough, Smart Wool, or Fox River (in that order). Darn Tough cost more, but they last longer. Smart Wool are great.... Fox River are less, but they "pill."

ParkRat09
12-12-2012, 21:12
I made the mistake of buying wool socks online without being able to see the exact materials they were made of. I obviously know cotton is a no-no when backpacking, which concerns me because the socks are 60% merino wool, 18% cotton, 15% polyester, 7% elastic. I was planning on using them in possibly temps that could potentially get below freezing and may be wet. Is the 18% cotton make these a bad idea for backpacking/hiking? Thanks guys
-Sonic

DARN TOUGH SOCKS!...enough said. I'm sitting here with a pair on right now :) I sell Smart Wool and DT at my store but I always recommend DT when people are gonna beat them up in the back country. They're made very well in Vermont and have a lifetime warranty so you can get them replaced whenever they get worn down! The only drawback is there are far fewer selection of different cushioning levels like with Smart Wool. Either way tho those are both great choices

Wise Old Owl
12-12-2012, 21:28
I have moved on from Smart Wool - At the end of hunting season WallyWorld has a sale and I replace them yearly.

Feral Bill
12-13-2012, 02:54
-Sonic
Return them. Or save them for light day hiking and around town.

Drybones
12-13-2012, 10:43
Cotton is a four letter word on WB.

fredmugs
12-13-2012, 11:35
I obviously know cotton is a no-no when backpacking

For shirts I would agree. When I stopped wearing "hiking" socks and started wearing Wal Mart 6 to a pack cotton socks my blistering problems went away. If it has "wool" in the name I avoid it like the plague.

Colter
12-13-2012, 12:10
I use Darn Tough socks now, but for most of the AT I wore cotton socks and they worked fine. None of us can say for sure what will work best for you, but if it were me I would go ahead and try out those socks.

Tuckahoe
12-13-2012, 13:12
Here's the thing... merino wool in and of itself is not usually the most durable fiber for socks. It makes great socks, that are soft, comfortable, warm and moisture wicking. But, there is the issue of how durable the wool will be. It is very normal to add other fibers to wool to increase the longevity. Today nylon is most often what is added, but even with the added cotton, enough is there to add that duribility without compromising the benefits of the wool.

My opinion is that there are better modern fibers to use, but a cotton content wouldnt worry me.

Velvet Gooch
12-13-2012, 13:19
Those 18%-cotton socks aren't going to kill you, not unless you happen to choke on one of them

Creek Dancer
12-13-2012, 17:33
There's not enough cotton in the socks to be too concerned. Try them out and see if they work for you.

hikerboy57
12-13-2012, 17:55
doesnt matter cotton, wool. its what makes your feet sweat the least. your feet get wet from sweating.years ago i did away with liners altogether, and now im using darn tough wolls, the best hiking socks ive owned.i find thinner socks work better for me.
do not be afraid 18% cotton is okay.17% would be better

Tinker
12-13-2012, 18:09
I have moved on from Smart Wool - At the end of hunting season WallyWorld has a sale and I replace them yearly.

Me, too, but I've moved on to Darn Tough. No regets.

ken209
12-13-2012, 18:48
My advise is to NOT use them! Purchase either: Darn Tough, Smart Wool, or Fox River (in that order). Darn Tough cost more, but they last longer. Smart Wool are great.... Fox River are less, but they "pill."
I say, +1 on this statement.

greywolf1974
12-13-2012, 18:56
i use liners - ive used alot of different socks over them -more into the wool heavy expensive types from gear stores. there are a few things like poly. long john's and good socks you dont skimp on "you get what you pay for"