PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready for a SOBO....fine tuning gear

Tree Nerd
12-12-2012, 22:42
I have a whole list of gear I already have and don't really want to list it, mainly because I like what I have already and cant afford to replace what I already have. Anyway, I'm SOBO hiking soon after I graduate from college in May. I'm going to try and hit Trail Day then work my way up to Maine.....here some stuff I still need to get.......remember I'm in college and on a major budget if this trip is going to work. Red lettering is what i need to get, blue lettering is what i currently have or have looked into.....just looking for some feedback.

Clothing:
-Hiking pants, something all around good that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I have a pair but they are really old, falling apart, and get really cold.
-Mid and outer layer jackets for cold. I already have an under layer and I usually just use sweatshirts for mid layers with my rain jacket for an outter layer but I need something better for the temps/weather conditions I'm going to experience.

Other Clothing - not so important(Walmart brand):
-Balaclava
-headnet/bugnet
-sunglasses

Gear:
-quilt/sleeping bag. Im definitely considering an enlightened equipment revolution x, 20 degree, 30% overstuffed, 6', regular taper....I've never had a quilt before but from what i hear it sounds like it would suit my needs and for the price I cant beat it.
-Sleeping liner. I'm looking for something that will add some heat so I can use it during warmer nights and block some draft of a quilt during cold nights. Ive been looking at the sea to summit reactor plus.
-camp/fording shoes. I currently have a pair of vibram 5-fingers, ill never make that mistake again. Ive been looking at getting a set of chaco updraft sandles, no toe loop/single strap.
-Stove. I like to keep is basic and have a vargo titanium hexagonal wood burning stove. I love it but it will become a pain in my rear especially in snowy conditions. Ive been looking at the MSR superfly but read that is hard to come by the fuel on the trail.
-Water filter. I usually use friends or boil....time to get one now. I have read alot about MSR filters and and talked to a lot of people about them. Im interested in the MSR Sweetwater.

Other:
-Guide book. Whats the best AT guide book to pack with you?

Thanks for reading and the possible feedback.

Hosaphone
12-12-2012, 23:23
Buy this guy's REI Kilo, right now, before someone else does: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?90422-REI-Sub-Kilo-20Degree-750-fill-down-sleeping-bag

$125 for a highly regarded 20* bag.... can't beat that.

I'm still of the opinion that a bag will do better in cold temps, and go with a quilt for warm temps. Also remember that when it's warmer you can just use a blanket or something - no need to spend money on a fancy warm weather bag.

Hosaphone
12-12-2012, 23:33
-Hiking pants, something all around good that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I have a pair but they are really old, falling apart, and get really cold.

Don't have to get fancy here... Anything synthetic that fits you well.

-Sleeping liner. I'm looking for something that will add some heat so I can use it during warmer nights and block some draft of a quilt during cold nights. Ive been looking at the sea to summit reactor plus.

Maybe not so necessary. Probably better to save your money here, imo.

-camp/fording shoes. I currently have a pair of vibram 5-fingers, ill never make that mistake again. Ive been looking at getting a set of chaco updraft sandles, no toe loop/single strap

Save money and weight and don't bother with these. Around camp you can loosen your laces / leave them untied to let your feet relax a bit, if you want.

-Stove. I like to keep is basic and have avargo titanium hexagonal wood burning stove. I love it but it will become a pain in my rear especially in snowy conditions. Ive been looking at the MSR superfly but read that is hard to come by the fuel on the trail.

Make an alcohol burner, and use it with your wood stove. There are tons of tutorials online for how to do it - all you need is some soda cans.

You can burn wood when possible, and use the wood stove as a wind screen and pot stand for your alcohol stove the rest of the time. Alcohol is easy to come by. No need to go out and buy a new stove.

-Water filter. I usually use friends or boil....time to get one now. I have read alot about MSR filters and and talked to a lot of people about them. Im interested in the MSR Sweetwater.

That thing is listed at almost 1 pound, and it's expensive. Screw that. IMO, the two best options are Aqua Mira or Sawyer Squeeze filter.

Aqua Mira is cheap, easy, super lightweight, and used by tons of people. The Sawyer Squeeze is cheaper than the Sweetwater, and weighs in at ~4oz which is a huge weight savings. MUCH better options than the sweetwater.

Hosaphone
12-12-2012, 23:46
I have a whole list of gear I already have and don't really want to list it, mainly because I like what I have already and cant afford to replace what I already have.

It might be worthwhile to post the whole list before making any more purchases... I wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot of room for improvement that you could make without spending a dime.

Tree Nerd
12-13-2012, 21:02
Hosaphone: thanks for the link, ill look into the bag. Also, thanks for the info, I have never considered making an alcohol burner....sounds like a good idea. I will also look at these filters you mentioned. Probably a good idea on shoes, but I like to have my feet out of my shoes after a long day of hiking....ill have to think about it some more. As far as my gear, its nothing special, I pack light and dont take anything with me I dont need.....Ill have to compile a list.

grateful 2
12-13-2012, 21:10
Everyone of these recommendations is EXACTLY "spot on". Listen to him. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Don't have to get fancy here... Anything synthetic that fits you well.

Maybe not so necessary. Probably better to save your money here, imo.

Save money and weight and don't bother with these. Around camp you can loosen your laces / leave them untied to let your feet relax a bit, if you want.

Make an alcohol burner, and use it with your wood stove. There are tons of tutorials online for how to do it - all you need is some soda cans.

You can burn wood when possible, and use the wood stove as a wind screen and pot stand for your alcohol stove the rest of the time. Alcohol is easy to come by. No need to go out and buy a new stove.

That thing is listed at almost 1 pound, and it's expensive. Screw that. IMO, the two best options are Aqua Mira or Sawyer Squeeze filter.

Aqua Mira is cheap, easy, super lightweight, and used by tons of people. The Sawyer Squeeze is cheaper than the Sweetwater, and weighs in at ~4oz which is a huge weight savings. MUCH better options than the sweetwater.

msupple
12-13-2012, 21:18
Some will say you don't need camp shoes but when your shoes are soaked at the end of the day, it's nice to have something dry, airy and light. These fit that bill perfectly and they will stay on your feet during any stream crossing. In fact, I've used them for whitewater kayaking. These are the cheapest I could find online. They beat the hell out of crocks any day.

http://www.6pm.com/vivobarefoot-ultra-pure-white-blue?zfcTest=mat%3A1

Cat in the Hat

Hosaphone
12-13-2012, 22:37
Hosaphone: thanks for the link, ill look into the bag. Also, thanks for the info, I have never considered making an alcohol burner....sounds like a good idea. I will also look at these filters you mentioned. Probably a good idea on shoes, but I like to have my feet out of my shoes after a long day of hiking....ill have to think about it some more. As far as my gear, its nothing special, I pack light and dont take anything with me I dont need.....Ill have to compile a list.

One thing to keep in mind is that you can/will adjust your gear as you go along. On a college student budget, it seems to make more sense to me to only buy what is absolutely necessary. If, after you have 200 miles of experience under your belt, you decide you really DO want/need camp shoes, you can just buy them then. Better to do it that way than to buy them now and realize you don't need them and have wasted your money.

Some will say you don't need camp shoes but when your shoes are soaked at the end of the day, it's nice to have something dry, airy and light. These fit that bill perfectly and they will stay on your feet during any stream crossing. In fact, I've used them for whitewater kayaking. These are the cheapest I could find online. They beat the hell out of crocks any day.

Cat in the Hat

Those look amazing. You could even hike in them if you wanted to.

One other reason I'm a bit skeptical of camp/river shoes is that most of the time shoes built for that purpose don't have good treads for it. I don't think there are too many sketchy river crossings on the AT, but for tough fords I would think having as much traction as possible on your feet would be good.

Tree Nerd
12-14-2012, 12:31
Good points. Especially the one about buying later if I find it necessary.

Tree Nerd
12-14-2012, 13:36
Looked into the alcohol stoves, pretty awesome! I'm going to make one when i get home from work try it out. I'm going to pickup some everclear on my way home from work to try that out for fuel. The hexagonal stove I think will also made a great addition to this for a wind break and an insulator to funnel heat to whatever I'm cooking with.

Hosaphone
12-14-2012, 13:54
Looked into the alcohol stoves, pretty awesome! I'm going to make one when i get home from work try it out. I'm going to pickup some everclear on my way home from work to try that out for fuel. The hexagonal stove I think will also made a great addition to this for a wind break and an insulator to funnel heat to whatever I'm cooking with.

Yep, I've been playing around a lot after becoming interested in wood stoves a couple months ago. I think the wood and alcohol stoves compliment each other very nicely. Use wood when you can, use alcohol when you're lazy, tired, or stuck in a shelter and you don't want to bother people with smoke / kill everyone with carbon monoxide. Or you can do something in the middle and use a little alcohol to get your fire started.

Since a wood stove will make a mess of your pot, you'll need a cozy to keep yourself and your gear clean. If you aren't freezer bag cooking, this also works well for helping cook more efficiently with alcohol. A 1/2oz of alcohol won't quite get the water boiling with my stove, but I can still easily cook a pasta side by dumping it in before starting to heat the water, and then putting the pot in the cozy afterwards to keep the water hot for longer.

Made my cozy out of reflectix and it's 1oz which is pretty heavy, but IMO worth it over a tyvek cozy for the more efficient use of fuel. With a nice wind screen maybe I could get boils with 1/2oz of alcohol, but I need a cozy anyways. Tyvek cozy + windscreen would probably end up being around the same weight as just my reflectix cozy alone, and it's also more parts to worry about losing/breaking, etc.

bigcranky
12-14-2012, 16:14
You won't need a lot of cold weather gear to start. Maine can be chilly in the summer, but a decent sleeping bag and a fleece sweater you can layer under your rain shell should be plenty. A warm hat (I have a microfleece balaclava from Mountain Hardwear that I like.) Maybe a set of mid-weight base layers to sleep in and wear around camp.

Once winter approaches in the South, you'll have a much better idea of what gear and clothing you'll want and need. Just put the money aside before you go.

(Wait, did you say you are starting in Maine in mid-May? You might need to check on that wrt bugs and mud. Early June might be better. Call the rangers at Baxter to check. The park sometimes does not open until late May, IIRC.)

Any cheap nylon trail pants that fit will work. I see a lot of zip-offs out there, though I don't use them for hiking. (I just hike in shorts most of the year.) +1 on grabbing that REI down bag - it'll be fine opened up and draped over you as a quilt most of the way.

The ALDHA Companion or the AT Guide. Both work well.

Tree Nerd
12-14-2012, 16:15
looking into these stoves somemore I'm finding two popular ones. the penny stove and the one that has an open top with an inner later, not really sure what they are called. I am going to make both of them when i get off work and try both of them to see which one is more efficient....easier to use.

Tree Nerd
12-14-2012, 17:09
Here some of my gear list....what i can rember off the top of my head.

Gear
-Mountainsmith Falcon 55 pack
-Mountainsmith Pack Cover
-Red ledge rain pants and jacket
-Princton tech byte headlamp
-repair kit/small pouch which includes: gerber multitool, thread and needle, tent patches, nail clippers, very small flashlight, three extra AAA batteries, magneisium stick
-small compass
-ziplock bag for ID, cash, cards.
-First aid kit
-Termarest, ridgerest sleeping pad cut in half to reduce weight and size.
-Big agnes lynx pass 2 tent, with footprint.....I know its heavy

Bathroom Stuff
-T.P. in a ziplock bag
-Travel toothbrush
-Travel size tooth paste
-Dr. Bronners biodegradable soap in small bottle

Water/Food
-Nalgene 1 quart widemouth waterbottle
-2 leter camelpack
-Mesh food bag with paracord to hang
-Vargo, stainless steel stove
-several fire starters and/or lint from dryer in ziplock bag
-Mess kit, not sure of brand
-Copper scrubber to clean mess kit
-Stainless steel cup that fits around nalgene bottle
-Small muilti sprice shaker
-suguar packets.....found that sugar sucks in the shakers, gets sticky and solid
-ziplock bag for coffee and tea packets.
-plastic spork
-whatever food im packing

Shoes, Socks, Cloths
-Danner SOBO mid hiking boots
-Danner Pronghorn crew socks (2 pair)
-100% polyester t-shirt
-Several pair of hiking shorts, not decided on the pair yet.
-Compression shorts (2 pair)
-Two trash bags, one for clean cloths and one for dirty cloths......also used as pillow when full of cloths

Cold weather cloths
-100% Polyester long underwear: pants and long sleeve
-Beenie
-thing for neck/ears/head, not sure what its called but really warm and packs up really small.
-Fleece glove/mittens

Other
-Pentax Optio WG1 digital camera
-Extra sim card and battery
-Mountainsmith Cyber II Medium camera case that connects to sholder strap
-Camera charger
-Samsung Rugby II
-Phone Charger
-Shamwow.....its actually quite convienent to have.

I am sure I am forgetting some minor things

Still need to get:
-Guide book
-Winter/cold outer and mid layer jackets
-New pants, I have a pair but are falling apart
-headnet/bugnet
-sunglasses
-water filter
-Currently working on an alcohol stove
-Bottle to put alcohol/fuel in
-Quilt/sleeping bag

Maybe's....
-Sleeping bag liner
-Some type of camp shoe.

Migrating Bird
12-14-2012, 19:46
Here some of my gear list....what i can rember off the top of my head.

Gear
-Mountainsmith Pack Cover
-Princton tech byte headlamp
-repair kit/small pouch which includes: gerber multitool Maybe too heavy, thread and needle, tent patches, nail clippers, very small flashlight do not need, three extra AAA batteries, magneisium stick not needed, include a Bic lighter
-small compass
-ziplock bag for ID, cash, cards.
-First aid kit -very small, include ibuprofin, immodium
-Termarest, ridgerest sleeping pad cut in half to reduce weight and size.

Bathroom Stuff
-T.P. in a ziplock bag
-Travel toothbrush
-Travel size tooth paste
-Dr. Bronners biodegradable soap in small bottle

Water/Food
-Nalgene 1 quart widemouth waterbottle, go with gatorade bottle
-2 leter camelpack
-Mesh food bag with paracord to hang need water proof food bag
-Vargo, stainless steel stove
-several fire starters and/or lint from dryer in ziplock bag do not need - birch bark & twigs
-Mess kit, not sure of brand
-Copper scrubber to clean mess kit don't need use sand
-Stainless steel cup that fits around nalgene bottle
-Small muilti sprice shaker
-suguar packets.....found that sugar sucks in the shakers, gets sticky and solid
-ziplock bag for coffee and tea packets.
-plastic spork
-whatever food im packing

Shoes, Socks, Cloths
-Danner SOBO mid hiking boots
-Danner Pronghorn crew socks (2 pair)
-100% polyester t-shirt
-Several pair of hiking shorts, not decided on the pair yet.
-Compression shorts (2 pair)
-Two trash bags, one for clean cloths and one for dirty cloths......also used as pillow when full of cloths

Cold weather cloths
-100% Polyester long underwear: pants and long sleeve
-Beenie
-thing for neck/ears/head, not sure what its called but really warm and packs up really small.
-Fleece glove/mittens

Other
-Pentax Optio WG1 digital camera
-Extra sim card and battery
-Mountainsmith Cyber II Medium camera case that connects to sholder strap
-Camera charger
-Samsung Rugby II
-Phone Charger
-Shamwow.....its actually quite convienent to have.

I am sure I am forgetting some minor things

Still need to get:
-Guide book cut out pages you need for next 200 miles only
-Winter/cold outer and mid layer jackets
-New pants, I have a pair but are falling apart
-headnet/bugnet
-sunglasses don't need
-water filter Aqua Mira
-Currently working on an alcohol stove
-Bottle to put alcohol/fuel in
-Quilt/sleeping bag

Maybe's....
-Sleeping bag liner
-Some type of camp shoe. Croc's lightest and needed for river crossings.

Bens 100% deet

Start around June 1st.

jeffmeh
12-14-2012, 20:06

Cat in the Hat

+1. Love them.

TJ aka Teej
12-14-2012, 20:59
Tree, be sure to check out the southbound forum:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?422-Southbound-thru-hikers-%28MEGA%29

Work on your kitchen ideas. Go simple, a canister stove, a pocket rocket, one pot, a tin foil windscreen and a clear plastic lighter.
See if you can make it to a Ruck. Bring your gear.
Do some shakedown hikes. Practice eating and cooking out of a food bag.

Hosaphone
12-15-2012, 03:37

I know you said you like what you have and can't afford to replace but.... You don't happen to still have the receipt for these do you? Together they weigh almost 10 pounds :o

Combined weight = ~2 pounds... DriDucks cost $20 or so and weigh ~5oz for jacket and 5oz for pants. You probably don't need the pants at the start either.

Tree Nerd
12-15-2012, 11:43
I do have the receipts for the pack, tent and footprint but I have used them alot and noone is going to take them back. Plus I have gotten use to using them, I may reconsider another tent if I get the funds but I will most likely have to use it.

Also, I made an alcohol burning stove, and I'm going to try some other designs......I cant wait to try them out and compare.

Tree Nerd
12-15-2012, 19:35
Okay, so I just finished my first stove. I think these things are awesome! Burning ever clear and combined with the vargo I can boil two cups of water in 8 and a half minutes. I am going to try some more prototypes and see if I can improve that time.

Bucho
12-15-2012, 20:47
Good luck on your alcohol stove. Don't get the MSR sweetwater, there's nothing wrong with it but it wasn't the best filter when I was using it a decade ago and filters have gotten a lot better since then. Don't get the crocs, you don't need full on hiking sandals to walk to the bathroom and there are a number of reasonable footwear options that will save you a pound. Don't bring a Nalgene or the steel cup. I'd also advise against bringing several pairs of shorts or any other piece of clothing, being set on a backpack and tent which are way too heavy you really need to avoid bringing other things that are unnecessarily redundant. Really you should replace the pack and tent but if you're not willing to do that absolutely don't take the footprint (it's a brick) and strip the pack of it's brain and anything else you can strip off to save weight.

Bucho
12-15-2012, 21:23
Don't get the crocs Sorry, that should have read don't get the Chacos. I've run into croc knock offs that are 8oz for the pair and run across claims of croc-offs that are 4oz for the pair. There are a number of other options that will save you more than a pound on camp shoes.

Hosaphone
12-15-2012, 21:44
Nice looking stove - how efficient is it? I'm not an expert on alcohol stoves but it looks like it's burning maybe a bit faster than is optimal. I would suggest trying to aim more for fuel efficiency than speed. See how little fuel you can get away with, and aim to be able to cook meals with 1/2 an ounce of alcohol. A reflectix cozy can easily pay for itself in fuel savings.

Tree Nerd
12-15-2012, 21:47
As far as shorts go, I was only bringing one pair, I was stating that I have several pairs of hiking shorts, i just haven't picked which ones I want to take....Also I have already stripped the inners of the pack, I don't use the camelback inside the pack and my sleeping bag never fit inside the sleeping bag compartment.

Second test on an alcohol stove: took a minute and a half to price but only seven to boil two cups of water after primed, 32 jets. The first one was a minute to prime and 8 and a half to boil, 16 jets.....I increased the number of jets and put some in different locations.....I am going to try another one and see if i can get the best of both.....oh, my roommate use a primus ETA power pot on the same test (second burner) and got a boil in 3 minutes and 50 seconds.

Tree Nerd
12-15-2012, 21:50
Nice looking stove - how efficient is it? I'm not an expert on alcohol stoves but it looks like it's burning maybe a bit faster than is optimal. I would suggest trying to aim more for fuel efficiency than speed. See how little fuel you can get away with, and aim to be able to cook meals with 1/2 an ounce of alcohol. A reflectix cozy can easily pay for itself in fuel savings.

Not sure how much I am putting in. Ill see next time but I have use the same amount on both tests.

Tree Nerd
12-15-2012, 23:15
Test three: Took a minute to prime and 4 minutes and 50 seconds to boil. That is with 2oz of fuel......if i were to use my pot it would boil faster due to the head displacement of it. I think I am done testing these things, time to drink some beer and mass produce haha.

Hosaphone
12-15-2012, 23:26
Not sure how much I am putting in. Ill see next time but I have use the same amount on both tests.

Those little plastic medicine cup things are very handy for measuring fuel. On the trail you can just the bottle cap or something once you get the hang of how much you need.

It's best to not just slosh a bunch of alcohol in and light it. You can save weight if you're aware of exactly how much fuel you are using.

2oz of fuel is quite a bit and 5 minutes is like a jet engine for an alcohol stove! 8.5 minutes sounds a bit better efficiency-wise, though I suppose slower doesn't necessarily mean more efficient.

You can also experiment with the distance from stove -> pot. Put something inside the wood stove underneath the alcohol burner to bring it closer to the pot and see if that helps efficiency at all.

Tree Nerd
12-16-2012, 12:56
Those little plastic medicine cup things are very handy for measuring fuel. On the trail you can just the bottle cap or something once you get the hang of how much you need.

It's best to not just slosh a bunch of alcohol in and light it. You can save weight if you're aware of exactly how much fuel you are using.

2oz of fuel is quite a bit and 5 minutes is like a jet engine for an alcohol stove! 8.5 minutes sounds a bit better efficiency-wise, though I suppose slower doesn't necessarily mean more efficient.

You can also experiment with the distance from stove -> pot. Put something inside the wood stove underneath the alcohol burner to bring it closer to the pot and see if that helps efficiency at all.

Good idea about the distance from the stove. The one that was boiling in 5 minutes used the least amount of fuel. It had the same amount of jets as the first one but i made ports to prime it faster, which ended up not burning after it was primed. I also placed the jets in a different position to focus the flame. By the time it boiled, it had a lot of extra fuel, especially compared to the second one which had 32 jets.

Tree Nerd
01-14-2013, 13:05
Well a little up-date.....I got some gear for Christmas and went shopping for myself after christmas. I ended up fine tuning my alcohol stove then my brother got me a gas stove for christmas. Ill most likely use my alcohol stove on the trail and my gas stove for short trips I take. I also got a mountainsmith camera case that goes on the sholder strap of my pack. I currently have it on my day pack which i use for school and I love this thing, its confortable, light, and access is awesome! I have got some amazing and funny pics on my half hour walk to and from class that I would of never been able to capture if it was in my pack. I also got some northface hiking pants and a columbia fleece....Im super excited to hit the trail.

Today I have a meeting with the chair of the Forestry Department. He thru hiked when he finished college and were going to talk a little about the trail and my plans.

I have a question.....how much water holding capacity do most people take on a thru hike? I was planning on taking a 32 oz. water bottle and my 1.5L cammelbak (strapped to the outside of pack), but i need that area for other other equipment. I dont like putting the cammelbak in my pack because it gets warm and its hard to fill. Any suggestions?....just take another 32 oz. bottle?

wookinpanub
01-14-2013, 14:24
Good points. Especially the one about buying later if I find it necessary.

As a successful southbounder, let me throw my 2 cents worth in here. I took river crossing shoes and ditched them in Gorham, NH. While the AT as a whole does not have many dicey river crossings, the vast majority of them are in Maine. I was glad I had them from the beginning, but also glad I got rid of them. By the time you figure out that you might need a pair, you'll probably be through most of the crossings and pick them up too late for much good if river crossing is their primary purpose. I never had much need of camp shoes. They would have been nice, but I counted the weight and didn't like the tradeoff.

bigcranky
01-14-2013, 17:58
I usually take 2 quart bottles (Gatorade bottles), and a large bag for gathering and treating water in camp (4-liter Platypus Zip bag.) I tried the hose thing years ago and went back to bottles.

Tree Nerd
01-14-2013, 18:49
As a successful southbounder, let me throw my 2 cents worth in here. I took river crossing shoes and ditched them in Gorham, NH. While the AT as a whole does not have many dicey river crossings, the vast majority of them are in Maine. I was glad I had them from the beginning, but also glad I got rid of them. By the time you figure out that you might need a pair, you'll probably be through most of the crossings and pick them up too late for much good if river crossing is their primary purpose. I never had much need of camp shoes. They would have been nice, but I counted the weight and didn't like the tradeoff.

If i end up taking something they wont be just for river crossings, they will double as camp shoes and shoes to wear when airing out my feet.....the reason i lean toward chaco sandals is because they are comfortable to hike in. Unfortunately they are heavy.

Tree Nerd
02-16-2013, 16:41
So in my on going process to fine tune my gear I have been making more and more purchases. Yesterday I thought it is about time I get ye old scale out and start a gear list; an actual gear list, down the ear plugs I plan to take for you noisy snoring sleepers. I have everything on the list that I will be taking, but I still have a few things in the mail, not quite here yet. Once I get everything in and weighed I will start another thread with a link to my masterpiece!