PDA

View Full Version : Tortilla wraps

Drybones
12-13-2012, 11:02
I did the Foothills Trail this week and experimented with some new lunches. I took flour tortillas and spread peanut butter on them and then added either pineapple preserves, blueberry jam, honey, or sorgum molasses and rolled the up. The blue berry and the honey were pretty good but the sorgum was outstanding, good enough to eat when you're not on the trail, best trail lunch I've had so far.

atmilkman
12-13-2012, 11:11
I'll put just about anything in a tortilla. The one thing I will say is I prefer the flour to the corn. The corn ones just don't go with everything to me.

bubonicplay
12-13-2012, 12:02
I prefer salami and cheese in my whole grain tortillas.

colorado_rob
12-13-2012, 12:09
Yep, tortillas are a staple of mine, usually just with PB&J. Peanut Butter is very calorie dense, a good thing. Tortillas also make for great breakfast burritos! Even taste good w/ freeze dried "eggs & bacon" mix. I'm seriously considering taking along a little 5-oz Ti frying pan on the AT next spring, just for these burritos. Add a little butter for frying (max calories/oz): yummy!

daddytwosticks
12-13-2012, 17:00
I prefer salami and cheese in my whole grain tortillas. Squirt a little bold brown mustard, too. Right up there with PBJ. :)

bubonicplay
12-13-2012, 20:19
Or del taco hot sauce.

CarlZ993
12-13-2012, 20:22
Yep, tortillas are a staple of mine, usually just with PB&J. Peanut Butter is very calorie dense, a good thing. Tortillas also make for great breakfast burritos! Even taste good w/ freeze dried "eggs & bacon" mix. I'm seriously considering taking along a little 5-oz Ti frying pan on the AT next spring, just for these burritos. Add a little butter for frying (max calories/oz): yummy!

I'll need to be out of the shelter before Rob starts cooking these breakfast burritos. Otherwise, I'll have a hard time finishing my cold cereal w/ powdered milk. :)

Drybones
12-14-2012, 11:20
I'll need to be out of the shelter before Rob starts cooking these breakfast burritos. Otherwise, I'll have a hard time finishing my cold cereal w/ powdered milk. :)

I do the cold cereal/milk (Great Grains) thing also, tried honey on it to spice it up a little, helped, will try sorgum molasses next time.

MuddyWaters
12-14-2012, 14:04
I love flour tortillas. Cheese and pepperoni in them is good lunch.
Even though whole wheat is more calories, and better for you, I prefer white.

Met a hiker back in the late summer that had vacuum packed his tortillas for his food drops.
Big mistake. Stuck together in solid blocks.
Fortunately they keep fine for several weeks just in a ziplock.

CarlZ993
12-14-2012, 16:27
I love flour tortillas. Cheese and pepperoni in them is good lunch.
Even though whole wheat is more calories, and better for you, I prefer white.

Met a hiker back in the late summer that had vacuum packed his tortillas for his food drops.
Big mistake. Stuck together in solid blocks.
Fortunately they keep fine for several weeks just in a ziplock.

I've done that as well. To avoid the above listed problem, you could put a piece of wax paper or a paper towel between each tortilla. The tortillas won't 'fuse' together. Not worth the hassle to me, tho.

Cosmo
12-16-2012, 13:57
Peanut butter and raisins. For lunch or dessert. Tortillas also good for cleaning your cook pot, you can pretty much wipe it dry.

Cosmo