PDA

View Full Version : Strange/unusual pre-hike emotion

RITBlake
05-26-2005, 01:51
I'm anxious and extremely restless.

Some nights I stay awake all night wondering about what the trail has in store for me, other nights I fall asleep in seconds thinking about the AT.

I've been moody and irritable in my relationships with the girlfriend, friends and people at work. Its impossible to explain to them that all I want to be doing is making miles in Maine. I don't think they will ever really understand.

I didn't take class seriously this semester...but I practically memorized the handbook. I read every AT book on the market. Watched every movie. I spend a ridiculous amount of time reading on WB and looking at photo galleries.

In a way I think I'm sick of being excited. Ive been getting pumped up to do this hike seriously for over a year now. I'm tired of thinking about it and planning for it, I want to live it!

Am I alone?

UCONNMike
05-26-2005, 02:01
You know where I stand buddy, I'm right there with you. Can June 1st get here any earlier? I can;t wait to meet another thru hiker out on the trail and talk gear and other hiking topics. I've exhausted my excitement, and now I'm really ready to put soem miles behind me. SOBO '05, best hike ever!

rambunny
05-26-2005, 02:26
Guess what buddy when you get back they will be way more annoying. Have a wonderful journey. You sound like a repeat offender. Mz. R. Bunny 7,000m iles and going!

VAMTNHIKER
05-26-2005, 07:13
I'm anxious and extremely restless.

I've been moody and irritable in my relationships with the girlfriend, friends and people at work. Its impossible to explain to them that all I want to be doing is making miles in Maine. I don't think they will ever really understand.

Am I alone?

That is not an unusual reaction... it happened to my family and I prior to every six-month Med cruise in the Navy...

Remember you will also have a transition period on the other end of the trip also...

TOW
05-26-2005, 08:25
the night before you actually set foot on the trail you will probably experince a big ole bowel movement. You think your having visions and crazy thoughts now, before you hike it? You ain't seen or experienced anything until your foot comes back home. You don't even have to do but a few 100 miles or so to get the AT permanently etched into your way of thinking..............................

wanderer

Dharma
05-26-2005, 09:16
You are anxious and restless because you're projecting yourself into the future so much, neglecting what is for what isn't. (what is = college, classes, that life you're living now; what isn't [yet] = AT thru hike).

Frankly, putting your mind always in the future is exhausing... it will make you irritable, cranky, and restless. Do yourself a favor, notice evey time you drift away to your idea of the AT, then, pull yourself back to here and now. If you're at work, focus on your work, if you're with your girlfriend, just be with her. No AT.

The AT and it's rich experience will be there for you. You will miss nothing if you put your focus on finishing the semester and the folks around you. (you'll sleep better at the least) Actually it is good practice, because if you walk around on the AT always thinking about the future, you will be restless and moody on your hike. The AT is no magic pill for what goes on in your head.

I've been reading WB and you've put a lot of time into researching, planning and dreaming about the AT. It's no small chore. Maybe it's time to rest on those accomplishments, give yourself a breather (and a nice cold Yuengling!), and see what happens.

plodder
05-26-2005, 12:11
Its the weather and spinning your wheels waiting. The bugs are eager also.

MOWGLI
05-26-2005, 12:18
Its impossible to explain to them that all I want to be doing is making miles in Maine. I don't think they will ever really understand.

Well, your probably 100% correct about that one!

Tha Wookie
05-26-2005, 13:34
You are anxious and restless because you're projecting yourself into the future so much, neglecting what is for what isn't. (what is = college, classes, that life you're living now; what isn't [yet] = AT thru hike).

Frankly, putting your mind always in the future is exhausing... it will make you irritable, cranky, and restless. Do yourself a favor, notice evey time you drift away to your idea of the AT, then, pull yourself back to here and now. If you're at work, focus on your work, if you're with your girlfriend, just be with her. No AT.

The AT and it's rich experience will be there for you. You will miss nothing if you put your focus on finishing the semester and the folks around you. (you'll sleep better at the least) Actually it is good practice, because if you walk around on the AT always thinking about the future, you will be restless and moody on your hike. The AT is no magic pill for what goes on in your head.

I've been reading WB and you've put a lot of time into researching, planning and dreaming about the AT. It's no small chore. Maybe it's time to rest on those accomplishments, give yourself a breather (and a nice cold Yuengling!), and see what happens.
Well said, Dharma.

There is indeed a natural surge of anticipation when a big change occurs or is imminent. To feel this is ok, and you should let it out (posting this thread is a good way). Maybe you can find other healthy channels that can help you communicate your feelings to friends and family. Write your girlfriend a poem. Create something for them to hold onto while you're gone. Be positive!

It is true that you should be careful not to deflect anxious emotions towards others. Dharma was right in that finding the time to be in the moment, you will have to let go of the future, and that helps ease tension. I suggest creating those moments by channelling those emotions into something positive.

As has been stated, you MUST remember this:

When you are done with your hike, those same friends and family will mean everything to you. The whole world will be a swirl after the shell shock hits you, and they will be your lighthouses. Be very good to them now, and they will help you later.

Ender
05-26-2005, 14:17
Wow, that sounds exactly like what I went through before my thru back in '98. I was just twitchy in the last few months before the hike. Oddly though, the last week before my hike that all went away and I was 100% calm and relaxed until I actually set foot on the trail, and then I back to being excited (though no longer irritable!) Enjoy the excitement! Everything about your hike will be wonderful in hindsight, even the wait for it.

Gads, I have to get back into the woods.

Footslogger
05-26-2005, 15:09
[QUOTE=Dharma]Frankly, putting your mind always in the future is exhausing... it will make you irritable, cranky, and restless. Do yourself a favor, notice evey time you drift away to your idea of the AT, then, pull yourself back to here and nowQUOTE]
==============================================
Very sound advice. It's only natural to start visualizing yourself out on the trail during the last few weeks/days prior to departure. If you weren't I'd say something was wrong with you. On the other hand, preoccupation with the trail, over and above normal planning, can really get in the way.

You'll be there before you know it. Live in the moment. The same goes for focussing too much on the destination and not the day to day, minute to minute adventure/journey during your hike. Not suggesting that you lose sight of the ultimate goal but consider just taking it as it comes ...

'Slogger
AT 2003

Tha Wookie
05-26-2005, 15:47
[QUOTE=Dharma]Frankly, putting your mind always in the future is exhausing... it will make you irritable, cranky, and restless. Do yourself a favor, notice evey time you drift away to your idea of the AT, then, pull yourself back to here and nowQUOTE]
==============================================
Very sound advice. It's only natural to start visualizing yourself out on the trail during the last few weeks/days prior to departure. If you weren't I'd say something was wrong with you. On the other hand, preoccupation with the trail, over and above normal planning, can really get in the way.

You'll be there before you know it. Live in the moment. The same goes for focussing too much on the destination and not the day to day, minute to minute adventure/journey during your hike. Not suggestion that you lose sight of the ultimate goal but consider just taking it as it comes ...

'Slogger
AT 2003
That's a good point, Slogger. The ability to stay in the moment will help increase your chances of reaching the future.

RITBlake
05-29-2005, 01:26
thanks for all the replies and the feedback. It is nice to know that I am not alone and that other people went through similar and/or different pre-hike phases.

This will probably be my last post on WB for sometime. We'll be heading up to Maine in a few days and I still have to tie up some last minute loose ends which won't leave much time for computer use.

Anyway, I just wanted to give a quick thanks to the entire WB community. I've 'met' a lot of great people on here and I know that the planning and decision making process involved in my thru hike was made MUCH easier by this great knowledge base. All my questions (good and bad) were adressed quickly and intelligently. Thanks guys, I hope to see you out there on the trail.

p.s. One of the things that makes WB so great is that we 'lack' the ridiculous hardcore flaming that goes in other online communities. You probably get the same questions from new hikers all the time, but they're always treated with respect, no matter how weird or silly a question might seem. The AT Hiker Primer is great! keep up the great work.

RITBlake