PDA

View Full Version : Foothills Trail ??

Drybones
12-13-2012, 19:18
I did the Foothills Trail this week and I'm thinking of going back when the rhododendrums (sp ?) are in bloom, can anyone tell me when that might be? Thanks.

Theosus
12-13-2012, 20:07
April? I was up in Panthertown April 15 and they were blooming.

How did you like that hike up from lake Jocassee to the top of the ridge? That part about did me in.

The Cleaner
12-13-2012, 23:31
In TN/NC late May to early June is the usual time,but unless global warming :eek: slows, they could bloom earlier in spots....

Drybones
12-14-2012, 10:31
April? I was up in Panthertown April 15 and they were blooming.

How did you like that hike up from lake Jocassee to the top of the ridge? That part about did me in.

The whole hike was great, Sasafras Mt. was the only area that made for work, great trail to just walk and enjoy the views without a lot of effort, want to go back and spend time along the streams where you can take a dip before crashing. I started to take a dip this trip but didn't have camp shoes and was affraid I'd damage a foot on something, did take a towel bath and the water was not too cold to take a dip in. Outstanding trail.

The Cleaner
12-14-2012, 12:10
Pic taken on 7-19 near Camp Creek Bald18422

Drybones
12-14-2012, 14:04
Pic taken on 7-19 near Camp Creek Bald18422

Nice........

The Cleaner
12-14-2012, 14:48
Nice........ Nicer?18424 This pic is from the Big Firescald relocation a bit further than the 1st pic.....enjoy....

l84toff
12-15-2012, 14:09
Is there a bad time of the year to go?

Drybones
12-15-2012, 20:34
Is there a bad time of the year to go?

IMO, no.......

Dogwood
12-15-2012, 22:31
I did the Foothills Trail this week and I'm thinking of going back when the rhododendrums (sp ?) are in bloom, can anyone tell me when that might be? Thanks.

By all means, enjoy the blooms of the Rhodies on the Foothills Trail(FT) from about mid March to late April, BUT the plant wonderland doesn't stop there! Around that same period you can add the rare Oconee Bells(Shortia galacifolia) white blooms which are in contrast to the pink, red, and lavender blooms of some of the Rhodies. BUT, it doesn't stop there either. If you get the time and appreciate rare endangered plants do the yellow blazed side trip down to the Estatoe Gorge Narrows. You''l not only experience some truely scenic SC hiking but also some rare, AND SEMI-TROPICAL, plants including some extremely rare ferns and mosses. The FT is a plant bio-diverse trail. There are some 80 + rare plants that exists along the trail, including some old-growth areas. It's ONE of the MANY reasons why I believe this trail may be worthy of National Scenic Trail status!

I also think the FT is a GREAT example of individuals, communities, and organizations, including but not limited to, the wonderful people of SC, trail and SP volunteers, The Foothills Trail Conference, the State of South Carolina, the State Parks system, private land owners, and the Duke Power Company, etc, coming together to make this trail possible. The Foothills Trail is GREAT trail which deserves conservation AND OUR support, whether that support be financial by joining the Foothills Trail Conference, through conservation efforts, or by donating time and labor to the State Parks system in South Carrolina or by doing trail maintenance.

A FT thru-hike makes a GREAT shake down hike in prep for a longer thru-hike like an AT thru-hike! It's my contention that if a perspective AT thru-hiker wannabe feels "bored" or can't "hack" this type of diverse naturally scenic hike than they will probably feel "bored" with and will not be able to "hack" a AT thru-hike. This area of SC experiences some rather mild winters too so the window of thru-hiking opportunity for this trail is VERY wide. The FT can also be extended on both the eastern and western ends to make for a longer hike.

Drybones
12-16-2012, 10:38
[QUOTE=Dogwood;

A FT thru-hike makes a GREAT shake down hike in prep for a longer thru-hike like an AT thru-hike! It's my contention that if a perspective AT thru-hiker wannabe feels "bored" or can't "hack" this type of diverse naturally scenic hike than they will probably feel "bored" with and will not be able to "hack" a AT thru-hike. This area of SC experiences some rather mild winters too so the window of thru-hiking opportunity for this trail is VERY wide. The FT can also be extended on both the eastern and western ends to make for a longer hike.[/QUOTE]

You make a good point dogwood, this would be a great hike to determine if you're ready for an AT thru hike. The FHT is designed to enjoy the walk in the woods, the trail spoils you with bridges to cross streams, easy elevation gains (for the most part), and great scenery, if you cant survive and enjoy 5 days on the FHT you better not tackle the mountains starting at Springer. This would be a great trail to help beginning hikers develop and prepare for the AT.