PDA

View Full Version : Compression Tights ???

TNman
12-13-2012, 20:19
I am interested to know if anyone can share pros and cons for wearing compression tights while hiking. Based on my research, compression tights may be a way to save my old legs from stress or injury. I am particularly interested in two brands, SKINS or 2XU.

Thanks!

The Cleaner
12-13-2012, 23:16
I know in temps much above 50 degrees I would sweat a lot with tight fitting clothing.You might prefer some kind of wrap for a specific area.But that's just me ,maybe a few others will add their thoughts :sun.....

TNman
12-15-2012, 09:09
Thanks Cleaner - that may be the best option. I will probably have to visit REI and ask for their feedback.

chip2012
12-15-2012, 11:56
I wore a pair of under armor tights for a large portion of my thru this year. They got warm a few times but I just slowed down a little or went ahead and sweat in them because they dried so quickly. They were really nice to have on at camp because they already had heat trapped in from walking.

Toolshed
12-15-2012, 15:41
I prefer to hike in New Balance tights. Long tights in cold weather and shorter 5" or 7" inseam tights in warm weather. (Like bike shorts without padding). I swear by them for alleviating monkeybutt, inner leg chapping and such. I also use Silicon Bodyglide (or the Gold Bond Version in red & yellow stick)
http://0.tqn.com/d/walking/1/0/c/n/2/Friction-Def_1.75oz.png

TNman
01-03-2013, 21:45
All good advise. As with most equipment it boils down to personal preference. I plan to buy a pair of 2XU tights and find out how they work. I will update my decision in my 2014 trail journal. - Thanks

Maddoxsjohnston
01-03-2013, 22:05
I wear "compression tights" or as we call them "sliders" for track...they make all the difference. Though sometimes I go without while hiking when it is really hot (probably in june of your thru when you're around virginia I presume). I wear under armour sliders as well- great brand.

MikekiM
05-08-2017, 13:56
Reviving this thread...

I've come to really like compression leggings for the trail. There was a great article on BPL about the benefits of tight fitting, wicking material especially for the cooler seasons and in the wet. I had first hand experience this weekend in constant rainy conditions. I was wearing an UnderArmor tight wicking shirt and Level 8 tight leggings. I chose them originally because in light of the elevated tick presence this year I had treated them with permethirin along with my normal Kuhl convertible hiking pants, socks, hat, pack and shoes.. But it ended up raining the whole weekend and I was surprised at how warm I was even thought there was a breeze, the temps were mid to high fifties and I was constantly wet.

In any event, I had no jacket on and removed the legs from my pants. I was perfectly comfortable.

JPritch
05-08-2017, 14:27
Compression is g2g in my book. I don't understand the issues above about wearing them while it's hot out? Compression gear is still cooler than a pair of standard drawers, not to mention way more comfy. Either way, your nether region is still gonna get sweaty either way.

Have to make a distinction: there is spandex gear (Nike, UA...), then there is true compression gear (2XU, Skins...). The real stuff is top notch and I both race and hike in them.

RockDoc
05-08-2017, 17:49
After numerous painful chaffing episodes I use only compression shorts for running and hiking. Add bodyglide if necessary. No problems now.
Brand doesn't matter much.

Dogwood
05-08-2017, 18:38
I have two pr of compression tights one being the 2xu. I use them on done in a day summits, traverses, and running usually in cooler weather. They make me more aware of my fitness and body fat % and absolutely help me be less fatigued able to recover faster.

DownEaster
05-09-2017, 02:01
I've never found them to help me except in very cold weather. Apparently the benefits are slight and more personal than universal (see here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_garment)). I've found effective ways to avoid thigh chafing; the very slight squeeze of 5" inseam boxer briefs is enough for me*. I don't need full-length tights to prevent joint injury, either. I'm developing a more consistently flat foot plant (rather than heel-to-toe roll) to reduce ankle stress on my training hikes, and more effective use of hiking poles has (knock on wood) kept my knees in decent shape. So I have to say "no" to compression tights.

* - Here's the other part of my anti-chafing solution:
My Dad was a diabetic, and this stuff is a great, long-lasting lubricant for delicate skin.