PDA

View Full Version : Southbound Bugs!

lukabrazi
12-13-2012, 21:09
If I hike South from Katahdin in mid June what could the bugs be like in Maine? Are we talking long sleeves and a head net? I would rather use my tarp but there is no bug netting. Would a bug bivy be recommended or maybe just sleeping with a head net?

Wise Old Owl
12-13-2012, 22:01
maybe just sleeping with a head net?

Serious - that sucks been there and done that....

Deadeye
12-13-2012, 22:24
June & July are bad times for black flies, definitely need a bug-free sleeping zone. Black flies generally aren't up at night, but enough of them don't know the rules to make life miserable. Flies can be unpredictable, too - sometimes the woods are fine but the summits are thick with bugs - never know.

Snowleopard
12-13-2012, 22:32
Don't let the bugs stop you if that's the only time you have, but be prepared.
In a bad year the black flies can be awful in June in all of northern New England, varying from place to place. I wear long pants and long sleeved shirt treated with permethrin during black fly and mosquito seasons. If you get lucky they won't be too bad, but you should be prepared. If you're prepared for it the bugs should be tolerable.
Bring a headnet, here's the only one I've been able to tolerate: http://www.petersheadnets.com/petersheadnets.com.html
Preferably have a full bug shelter under your tarp like: http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___83156 (I haven't used this one, lots of companies make different versions).
Even better bring a fully enclosed tent with lots of screening, like tarptent. Black flies are less of a problem than mosquitoes at night.
Bring an ample supply of DEET.
10 ounces of prevention can change the experience from miserable to merely unpleasant (or even mostly bug free in a good year).

markc7
12-13-2012, 22:49
I asked the exact same question last year. Lucky for me, 2012 was a pretty mild year for bugs in Maine in June. There were a couple nights that I tented because of the bugs, but with permethrin soaked clothing they weren't too bad during the day.

cliffordbarnabus
12-13-2012, 23:15
it all depends on your ability to tolerate insanity. the sound is what gets me. earplugs and a head net kept me out of the straight jacket

wcgornto
12-13-2012, 23:59
In 2009 I started SOBO June 14th. The black flies were mild because of a lot of rain and they prefer sun, but the mosquitoes were ravenous. Permethrin treated clothing and Ben's 100 on exposed skin kept them at bay. The worst mosquito infestation was about a ten mile stretch around Great Barrington, MA. I picked up my pace and moved as fast as I could just to keep them from landing on me. It is the thickest area of mosquitoes I have ever been through. Even in other areas of Massachusetts, I slept in my tent rather than the open shelter a couple of nights just to have the mesh between me and the mosquitoes. This was not an issue in Maine because the temperatures were low enough at night that the mosquitoes weren't active.

More aggravating to me were the deer flies. Some in Maine, some in Vermont, Some in Massachusetts. Then in Connecticut, the gnats were awful. This is where I used my head net the most, just to keep them out of my mouth and to keep them from landing on my eyes. Then in Pennsylvania it was the stink bugs ... billions and billions of them. They are harmless though, just plentiful. After that, there weren't a lot of bugs.

lukabrazi
12-17-2012, 15:11
I'm gonna have to treat my clothing. I have never done that before. I remember an write up on it over at Sticks blog. He bought permethrin in bulk and soaked it. My main consideration right now is what to bring for shelter. I was really hoping to use my tarp but I can see from the above posts that my tarp alone is not a reasonable choice. I've never tried sleeping in a headnet but it sounds miserable and I would probably end up getting bit through it anyways because I'm a side sleeper and won't be sleeping in a wide brimmed hat. Zpacks can add netting to my tarp but then it is there permanently. I've been considering a lightweight bivy. Zpacks, Mountain Laurel Design, and Tigoat all have some nice options. There are several in the 5-6 ounce range. Tigoat makes a lightweight bug bivy. I'm thinking that might be the way to go. Then when I'm out of the bugs I can mail it home.