PDA

View Full Version : weather in May

squirrely
12-14-2012, 00:39
I was hoping someone could give me an idea of about what temperatures and weather to expect during the day and at night in May.

For the Springer --> Hot Springs portion of the trail.

Mainly I'm curious about temperatures because I don't want to bring stuff that's gonna be too hot or things that won't be warm enough and I live nowhere near the mountains so I don't have any experience with mountain weather.

We're leaving the second week of May and coming back the second week of June.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

The Cleaner
12-14-2012, 01:03
During the day I doubt it would be out of the mid 70s,although while going up a steep incline you will feel warmer.As for nighttime lows I would say around 50*.Keep in mind that these are averages.With a late season strong cold front I did see light snow and daytime temps in the mid 30's in the middle of May several years ago.Also over the high country in the Smokies the temps could be a bit colder.I have an old shelter register from just above Hot Springs and there were many comments about being cold in June.When it rains at 50* you can become very chilled.IMO a 30* bag will do but I would still bring a lightweight set of long underwear just in case.That's just me I'm sure others my say different...

SCRUB HIKER
12-14-2012, 01:21
Use data, not anecdotes. Google

city month site:weather-warehouse.com

to get an idea of the weather patterns of a given place for a given month. For instance, this (http://weather-warehouse.com/WeatherHistory/PastWeatherData_Franklin3W_Franklin_NC_May.html) is the weather for Franklin, NC every May since 1945. Subtract 2.5-3 degrees Fahrenheit for every 1000 feet of elevation gain and you have a ballpark idea of the temperatures you'll face in that area.

virgil
12-14-2012, 01:31
When I hiked it in mid-May 2011 I experienced a wide range of temps. For a while it was high 70's in the day, 50's at night -- warm. But for a while it was 60's days, 30's at night -- a little chilly. Study your guidebook. There are a lot of sections over 4000' elevation, some over 5000' elevation. You'll definitely want some warm layers and a warm sleeping bag. May is an ideal time to hike thru GA and NC. Have a great trip.

Feral Bill
12-14-2012, 02:43
Use data, not anecdotes. Google

city month site:weather-warehouse.com

to get an idea of the weather patterns of a given place for a given month. For instance, this (http://weather-warehouse.com/WeatherHistory/PastWeatherData_Franklin3W_Franklin_NC_May.html) is the weather for Franklin, NC every May since 1945. Subtract 2.5-3 degrees Fahrenheit for every 1000 feet of elevation gain and you have a ballpark idea of the temperatures you'll face in that area. Nice site. Thanks

fredmugs
12-14-2012, 09:52
I did the Smokies southbound 2 years ago over Memorial Day weekend. When I started at Davenport Gap in the dark it was mid 50s and when I got to my car at Newfound Gap it was mid 30s and freezing rain. I was damn near hypothermic. You have to prepare for the worst.

What I would do is go to the Weather Channel now and load in various cities along the trail and then monitor the forecasts for those cities. As you get closer to your launch date you will have a better idea of what to expect.