PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Home

Koozy
12-14-2012, 14:27
I'm looking into an AT thru-hike and although the traditional NOBO is appealing, I have been comtemplating a way to finish the hike in my home state of Connecticut.

As of now I'm contemplating starting in GA and hiking north to CT, then flipping to Katahdin and hiking south to CT. I'm open to alternatvie hikes and I think this would provide some motivation, having 2 milestones at "home." My main concern is timing. I don't want to start too early in GA and be exposed to a long duration of cold weather (reasons being exposure, carrying extra weight, etc.), but I also don't want to flip to Katahdin too late where I may hit some rough weather in the ME-VT sections while hiking south. Having lived in New England all my life I can tell you the weather is very unreliable. I've hiked in every state in New England and have seen snow in August while hiking the Presidentials in NH, and have had 90+ degee days anywhere from March thru October in CT/MA. I'm trying to figure out what time of year would be ideal to start and flip during this hike.

...but who knows, maybe I'll hike north to CT and decide to push on and finish in ME, but that's why I'm asking for advice.

I'm looking for any concerns/advice/input on my proposed hike, and am open to other routes which end in CT.

Slo-go'en
12-14-2012, 16:55
A traditional early April start at Springer should get you to CT sometime in August and then you can decide to push on or flip.

Starchild
12-14-2012, 17:11
I have been considering the same plan, it would depend on if I a running behind, and I suspect the company of other thruhikers I may be traveling alongside, as I would get to know many of them.

Koozy
12-14-2012, 23:27
A traditional early April start at Springer should get you to CT sometime in August and then you can decide to push on or flip.

I've thought about that. But what if I don't flip until September? Is that too late?

SCRUB HIKER
12-15-2012, 01:53
I've thought about that. But what if I don't flip until September? Is that too late?

Your logic eludes me. If you get to Connecticut in September, you won't make it NOBO to Katahdin anyway, so you might as well flip. Since the Whites (your biggest weather concern) are about equidistant from Connecticut and from Katahdin, you would hike through them at about the same date regardless of whether you flip or push NOBO. Maine, especially the northern reaches, is your next biggest concern, so if you're worried about being late, just plan to flip.

I think the plan in general sounds pretty nice; I wish you good luck on it.

Koozy
12-15-2012, 10:20
Your logic eludes me. If you get to Connecticut in September, you won't make it NOBO to Katahdin anyway, so you might as well flip. Since the Whites (your biggest weather concern) are about equidistant from Connecticut and from Katahdin, you would hike through them at about the same date regardless of whether you flip or push NOBO. Maine, especially the northern reaches, is your next biggest concern, so if you're worried about being late, just plan to flip.

I left out some details that may help. A few things that have weighed in on my planning are: (1) I want to enjoy the hike without any time constraints (getting to big K), and (2) I don't want to start during the peak starting time (Mid March-Mid April). Another thing on the table is that I might take some time off (up to a maximum of 2 weeks) once I reach CT. Looking at it very high level (without having done any detailed planning); I'm thinking about starting at GA in late April, making it to CT sometime around early August, then starting south from Katahdin the beginning of September. You're on the money when you say the Whites are my main concern, I figure it would take about a month (+/-) until I'd hit the Whites, putting me there around the end of September/beginning of October, and I know how volatile the weather can be there that time of year. Having never experienced an extended period of time in the Whites during that time of year, I'm concerned.

Maybe waiting until reaching CT is too late to flip? Might that be part of the reason many hikers flip once they reach Harpers; getting out of northern New England before the harsh weather hits? Would it benefit me to bite the bullet and start with the heat of the pack just to make it to CT earlier? I'm not sure how the weather in GA during March compares to that in NH and in October.

Koozy
12-15-2012, 11:12

...and thank you. I'm looking forward to starting to plan my hike.

jeffmeh
12-15-2012, 12:03
I left out some details that may help. A few things that have weighed in on my planning are: (1) I want to enjoy the hike without any time constraints (getting to big K), and (2) I don't want to start during the peak starting time (Mid March-Mid April). Another thing on the table is that I might take some time off (up to a maximum of 2 weeks) once I reach CT. Looking at it very high level (without having done any detailed planning); I'm thinking about starting at GA in late April, making it to CT sometime around early August, then starting south from Katahdin the beginning of September. You're on the money when you say the Whites are my main concern, I figure it would take about a month (+/-) until I'd hit the Whites, putting me there around the end of September/beginning of October, and I know how volatile the weather can be there that time of year. Having never experienced an extended period of time in the Whites during that time of year, I'm concerned.

Maybe waiting until reaching CT is too late to flip? Might that be part of the reason many hikers flip once they reach Harpers; getting out of northern New England before the harsh weather hits? Would it benefit me to bite the bullet and start with the heat of the pack just to make it to CT earlier? I'm not sure how the weather in GA during March compares to that in NH and in October.

Yes, people flip earlier to get through northern New England earlier, reducing the likelihood of winter conditions. From a severe weather risk perspective, March in the south generally presents much less than October in the Whites.

Your timing options depend upon your pace. The average NOBO who finishes paces at just under 13 miles / day (per map man). For a mid-April start, that would put one on Katahdin around October 1. If you can beat that pace you have more cushion. If you really don't want to worry about time constraints, either start earlier, or flip to the north earlier. If were up to me, I would try to be either done or south of the Whites by mid-September, just to tilt the odds a bit more in my favor.

Slo-go'en
12-15-2012, 15:12
The only thing you can plan for is the day you start. What happens next is not predictable. However, the later you start the greater the chance is you will *have* to do a flip and you might have to do that at a point well south of CT.

Koozy
12-15-2012, 15:37
Yes, people flip earlier to get through northern New England earlier, reducing the likelihood of winter conditions. From a severe weather risk perspective, March in the south generally presents much less than October in the Whites.

That's reassuring. A backpacking friend of mine told me I should start earlier; that late winter/early spring in the south is not like it is in NE, and that I'd be fine. But he's more experienced and has done more/longer sections than I have, so I wasn't sure how to take it.