PDA

View Full Version : Help with decision on MontBell Super Spiral Burrow

SashaV
12-14-2012, 16:18
I am looking for a very unrestricting sleeping bag and Mont Bell ones seem to be good candidates due to using specific stitch design and stretchy thread.
I am wondering how strongly this stretchy thread will squeeze me.
If I get into the bag wearing puffy jacket and pants, will the thread in the bag exert too much pressure and compress the clothing I am wearing thus eliminating its insulating value?
Or is it just a gentle pressure that will not eliminate loft in clothing I am wearing?
I am trying to decide between a large semi-rectangular (or even rectangular) bag in which I will have plenty of space and be able to put to good use my puffy clothing as temperature dictates, and Mont Bell, the advantage of Mont Bell is lighter weight, but the pressure of thread would negate any advantages if that stretchy thread decreases loft of my cloths.
Does anyone have some experience with this bag and could say if I should stay away from it considering my predicament?

WalksInDark
12-14-2012, 18:19
I have both the super spiral (newer bag) and the super stretchy original bag. Neither of them squeezes me at all. I love the fact that I can toss and turn to my heart's contentment without getting hung up in a tight fitting bag. P.S. The bags are so light (for their temperature ratings), that I often can't tell that I am in a mummy bag.

I highly recommend these bags!

LIhikers
12-15-2012, 00:02
I have a Montbell Ultralight, Superstretch, bag and it's very comfortable and warm.
It's the model that came before the Super Spiral.
The stretching action isn't so strong that I'd call it a squeeze.

SashaV
12-15-2012, 09:15
Thank you for your replies.

WalksInDark, which one of the two is roomier, I can get either the older Super Stretch one or the new Super Spiral?

WalksInDark
12-19-2012, 14:25
I find my old super stretch to be roomier than the newer super spiral.

SashaV
12-20-2012, 11:21
WalksInDark, one more question if you do not mind, does your newer super spiral bag definitely have the stretchy stitching in addition to angled spiral construction, as opposed to angled spiral construction only that was found in early spiral bags without stretchy stitching?
Reason I am asking is that there seems to be a lot of confusion about MontBell bags, and it seems they did release spiral bags without stretchy stitching that were not as stretchy as earlier super stretch models or later super spiral models that included stretchy stitching?

WalksInDark
12-21-2012, 20:02
I don't have access to both bags right now. My summer spiral is in storage...but my impression is that the spiral DOES NOT have the stretchy stitching.

Maybe someone else can verify my observations?

Del Q
12-22-2012, 17:42
No real squeeze at all, great bags, I am a pretty big man, super comfy in the shoulder chest area for me, and again, no real squeeze, just takes a lot of the slack away = warmer.

MuddyWaters
12-22-2012, 21:56
I don't have access to both bags right now. My summer spiral is in storage...but my impression is that the spiral DOES NOT have the stretchy stitching.

Maybe someone else can verify my observations?

It has "stretchy stitching". It softly conforms around you.

I cannot compare it to the old super stretch, never had one.