PDA

View Full Version : Fitting Sleeping bag in pack

em241
12-14-2012, 17:15
Hello all!

Currently I am planning to use the Marmot Helium 15 degree sleeping bag, and the ULA Circuit pack for my thru. I bought all my gear over the summer and am just now trying to figure out how to fit everything together. The problem is that the bag barely fits in the pack, and I was wondering about tips to attach a sleeping bag externally to the bottom of the pack-- advice? rope? I'm having trouble finding any helpful threads on whiteblaze, though I know I've seen thru-hikers in action with visible sleeping bags. Thanks guys!

P.s. for waterproofing one's pack, how imprudent is it to use only a trash bag as a liner and not a pack cover? It's been hard for me to justify spending the $$$ on a pack cover on top of everything else.

Kingbee
12-14-2012, 17:19
Get a compression sack for the bag. You're going to get rained on, so the pack cover couldn't hurt.

G.G.
12-14-2012, 17:33
I prefer to simply stuff my bag in the bottom of my pack (within trash compactor bag). I find it is much easier to compress and work other gear into place rather than a brick of a compression/stuff sack making negotiating space a PITA.

By the way. I use a Gregory Z55, smaller than a Circuit and either a Marmot Lithium, Helium or 30* plasma along with under quilts for my hammock. Tight for winter use but gets the job done.

Pack cover too. I prefer my pack not to absorb the water weight & reduce the risk of wet gear.

Blackbeard30
12-14-2012, 17:40
I use the $5 pack cover from Walmart. Works great.

Creek Dancer
12-14-2012, 17:52
I use the stuff sack that came with my Marmot Helium and then that goes into a waterproof sack. I do not suggest carrying your sleeping bag on the outside because of the risk of getting it wet. Maybe you can carry something else on the outside, like your sleeping pad, cook set or shelter. A waterproof pack cover is a must, in my opinion.

colorado_rob
12-14-2012, 18:09
I just bought a ULA circuit myself (and an OHM 2.0; going to choose one and send the other back). anyway, for my 20 deg bag, I'm sure very similar to the Helium in "bulk", I just stuff in into the very bottom of the pack, then everything else on top compresses it nicely. I see no issue doing this, and I will be using a pack cover. I basically see no need to use the stuff sack that comes with the bag.

rusty bumper
12-14-2012, 18:15
I also carry my Marmot Helium in the stuff sack it came in, and then it and my clothes sack, go inside a trash compactor bag that fits in the bottom of my Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus pack. All my other gear that needs to stay dry is inside the pack in 3 small ultra-sil dry sacks. My food bag is water resistant but not waterproof since everything inside it is always in some form of waterproof package. My cut down z-lite sleeping pad doubles as the back-pad for the pack and my tent, rain gear, water bottle and fuel bottle are in the outside mesh pockets. I don't use a pack cover and I've never missed it.

max patch
12-14-2012, 18:21
Just to make sure we are all using the same dictionary, there is a difference between a stuff sack and a compression sack. I always use the stuff sack that came with my bags. I would never ever not on any day subject a $400 down bag to a compression sack.

I have always carried my bag outside of my pack and I have never gotten it wet. That is how the packs I used were designed to be used.

Camel2012
12-14-2012, 18:23
I like using a dry compression sack and contractor bag lining my pack, and still carry and use my pack cover.

Overkill? Maybe..., but my clothes/sleeping bag/hammock are dry at the end of the day if they were dry when packed, when i hit camp. It's a small amount of weight to keep from worrying, and having dry gear IMO.

Just have to figure out what works for you, and what you're comfortable with. I would never carry my sleeping bag on the outside of my pack, even in a dry bag. During the drier months, I get rid of the liner just to avoid the hassle, and you can pick them back up almost anywhere when needed.

whatnot
12-14-2012, 18:27
My Marmot Pinnacle 15 fits quite nicely in my ULA Circuit. 1st, I gave the sleeping bag stuff sack to the dog to play with. Then I put a trash compactor plastic bag into the ULA (sort of like you would in a trash can). The Marmot gets shoved into the bag along with my dry clothes. I smash all that down into the bottom of the ULA, pushing out the air, tucking the top of the trash bag along the outside of itself. That ensures my dry stuff stays that way. Sometimes I toss my Lightheart Solo tent (loose, not in a stuff sack) on top of the closed trash bag. (Sometimes I shove the tent in the big outside pocket....whatever amuses me at the time, or depending on how wet the tent is.) On top of the tent goes the food bag and other stuff. Loaded up with 4 or 5 days of food, I wonder what I am going to do with all the extra room. That Circuit is perfect for my needs.

MuddyWaters
12-14-2012, 18:33
Hello all!

Currently I am planning to use the Marmot Helium 15 degree sleeping bag, and the ULA Circuit pack for my thru. I bought all my gear over the summer and am just now trying to figure out how to fit everything together. The problem is that the bag barely fits in the pack, and I was wondering about tips to attach a sleeping bag externally to the bottom of the pack-- advice? rope? I'm having trouble finding any helpful threads on whiteblaze, though I know I've seen thru-hikers in action with visible sleeping bags. Thanks guys!

P.s. for waterproofing one's pack, how imprudent is it to use only a trash bag as a liner and not a pack cover? It's been hard for me to justify spending the $$$ on a pack cover on top of everything else.

The bag should go in first in the bottom of the pack. Even without a stuffsak you shouldnt have any problem fitting it along with quite a bit of other stuff in a Circuit. If you cannot fit everything, you have too much. Put things like tent, raingear, etc in outside pockets, they dont need to be inside. Very few things actually need to be inside the pack. Sleeping gear, clothes, food. Thats about 95% of it.

In a stuffsak makes if possible to carry more in the pack, because you cannot compress everything down as well without one. Im sure your stuffsak is heavy though, probably 2-3 oz. You dont need a compression sack, they are ridiculously heavy. You can get a cuben drybag for under an oz. if you need one, and roll it down as much as you like.

There is no way to attach items to the bottom of the Circuit. If you need to do that, you have the wrong pack. You can put items on top under the top strap, most commonly a CCF pad.

fiveonomo
12-15-2012, 15:16
I am new to hiking, well sort of. When I was in the Marines I hiked a lot, we didn't really call it that and we used heavy gear. Fast forward 20 years and I am ready now to walk again with a back pack on and quite excited about it as well.
I am gathering my gear for some hikes coming up and I have a Big Agnes Encapment bag. It fits in its stuff sack into the bottom compartment of my pack, an Osprey Aether 60. Also in that compartment you will find my Big Agnes sleeping pad and the Big Agnes pillow. This leaves the rest of my pack for everything else. I hope this helps, good luck.

The Ace
12-16-2012, 01:10
I am a section hiker and I have been compressing my WM Sycamore sleeping bag for 5-plus years. Only, of course, while hiking and never for storage. There are opposing opinions on compressing, but I have not noticed any decline in the quality or loft of the bag. I use the Granite Gear eVent Sil Compression DrySack XS 10 Liter. It weighs 2.9 ounces. By comparison, an 18-gallon disposal bag weighs 2.3 ounces. For my clothes, I use a Zpacks roll top medium dry bag (0.6 oz), and for food I use the Zpacks Blast roll top bag (1.1 oz). I stand the compressed sleeping bag and my rolled up Hexamid Twin tent upright and side-by-side at the bottom of my pack and then put everything else on top. When it’s raining I use the Zpacks backpack rain cover (1.1 oz).

bigcranky
12-16-2012, 11:46
I have a compression stuff sack for my WM Antelope, a 5-F down bag. It fits easily in my Circuit, with plenty of room for my other winter gear. I don't worry about compressing the bag for hiking, and of course the bag is stored properly at home.

To the OP -- do NOT carry your bag on the outside. If all of your gear won't fit in your pack, either you have too much gear or your pack isn't large enough. The Helium should easily pack down to the bottom third of the Circuit with some pushing and shoving, and piling other gear on top.

Good luck.

yellowsirocco
12-16-2012, 12:25
LOL, get a bigger pack. It is funny when people read all the junk on the internet and then they try and put it together and it doesn't fit. The system has to be your own and you have to know how everything works together. And don't use a compression sack, those are for people trying to cram too much into a pack that is too small.

hikerhobs
12-16-2012, 12:39
I carry my sleeping bag on top of my pack in a waterproof sack, been doing it for years thru all kinds of crazy weathers and never had a problem yet.

Miner
12-16-2012, 16:35
I prefer to simply stuff my bag in the bottom of my pack (within trash compactor bag). I find it is much easier to compress and work other gear into place rather than a brick of a compression/stuff sack making negotiating space a PITA.
This is exactly how I store my sleeping bag inside my ULA Circuit. Though in my case, I'm letting it loft more to fill the pack's volume since many packs carry better when there is no empty volume spaces inside. However, I used my circuit to thru-hike the PCT in '09 and the only time it was every full was when I was carrying a 10day resupply. If you are having space issues with it, I have to wonder if you bought a large enough pack. A ULA catalyst would have probably met your needs better. Or you are carrying alot of useless stuff.

"Atlas"
12-16-2012, 18:07
When I started the Trail, I kept my Sleeping Bag in a stuff sack on top of my pack. After the first hard, long steady rain, it was damp. Nothing is waterproof forever. Afterwards, I kept it in the bottom of my pack, just stuffed in, I found it worked out better just being in the bottom, It never got really wet even without a garbage bag liner.

msupple
12-16-2012, 18:24
I stuff my sleeping bag and underquilt (hammocker here) into my pack....no stuff or compression sacks. I find it fills up the various nooks and crannies of my pack much more effiently than a bunch of individual bricklike bags. I also find my entire pack compresses down much better this way or if there is left over space the bags/quilts will naturally expand leaving me a nice lumpless pack. When I was using the sack method I seemed to have a more difficult time closing my pack. Another big advantage is that it takes less time and FAR less hassle than trying to stuff all that crap into tiny little bags. I wasn't a believer until I tried it a few times.

Cat in the Hat

saltysack
12-17-2012, 12:55
I also use the ula circuit, marmot helium in a trash compactor bag. Works great for me but I'm just a weekend warrior unfortunately!!!:( hasn't got wet yet but sure it would wear out after a few weeks with zipper etc rubbing bag but you get 4 for a few bucks...:) again I don't like creating waste so not sure for a thru.

Studlintsean
12-17-2012, 13:45
I also have the ULA circuit and took it out for a quick trip for the first time this weekend. While packing my bag a variety of ways, I determined the best way to do so was to stuff my WM bag into the bottom of the pack (in trashbag) without a stuff sack. I then packed my clothes bag and sleeping pad on top and rolled the trash bag closed. Cooking, food, and tent went on top of trash bag and everything else (filter, rain jacket, first aid, etc.) fit in mesh pocket.