PDA

View Full Version : Places to Mail drop instead of resupplying town?

Max L
12-14-2012, 22:27
As I plan and budget my upcoming thru-hike I've decided to do nearly all my resupplying in towns. From what I've heard from other hikers and read here on WB (which by the way has been a resource!!) it's the way to go. But I would like to know from some experienced AT hikers if there are some places on the trail where a mail drop would be more advantageous? I've never been on the AT before but i can imagine that some places might "price gouge" hikers or just have poor selections of trail food and hiking gear.

mrcoffeect
12-15-2012, 00:20
i did my shopping to get through the first half of the smokys in franklin nc. then mailed them to the resort at fontana village. better than post office, you can get your package at the front desk of hotel 24/7.:)

mrcoffeect
12-15-2012, 00:22
and good luck on your hike. hope you have a great time.

Max L
12-19-2012, 21:16
thanks a lot! will def look into that

RED-DOG
12-20-2012, 12:41
Bro on all three of my Thru-Hikes I totally resupplied in towns buying all my food at grocery stores, when i do the AT again in the next year or two I am going to have atleast Five Mail-drops, Thats: Neels Gap, Blueberry Patch, Fontana Damn, Shaw's Place, and Hanover NH, other than the mentioned five places Resuppling at grocery stores is way much easier and faster and not to mention cheaper

brian039
12-20-2012, 15:05
The only places where it might save you money to send mail drops would be Fontana and Andover maybe? It still wouldn't be worth the hassle I don't think. I didn't do any mail drops the entire hike but please note that I carried nothing but candy bars, potato chips, and ramen a couple of times for a few days.

Blissful
12-20-2012, 21:44
Resuppling at grocery stores is way much easier and faster and not to mention cheaper

The poster said he totally resupplied at grocery stores for all hikes. So how can he qualify the above statement? I've done 30 mail drops both north and south as well as buy. Mail drops are way faster (how is buying faster when the box has all you need but the perishables?), easier (trying to figure out menus in a store consumes lots of time and thought when your drops are right there. SO is having to lug the full box of eight pop tarts), and as far as expense, only if you find a big box store to buy from is it cheaper wi9th the vareity you need for good healthy choices. Other than that, its useless carbs many times at the smaller stores. You can definitely resupply at grocery sotres, but in places, it can get expensive or the choices are the same old thing. And that to me gets real tiring fast, and the body gets tired too.

swjohnsey
12-21-2012, 20:41
Mail drops are very convenient, everything you need, one box, one stop. Also there are things that are often hard to get in small/convenience stores. Sometimes you need to buy large quanities, soap and TP come to mind.

msumax1985
12-23-2012, 10:21
i did my shopping to get through the first half of the smokys in franklin nc. then mailed them to the resort at fontana village. better than post office, you can get your package at the front desk of hotel 24/7.:)

Can you mail drop to a motel that you are not staying at? I am planning a mail drop in Fontana but plan on staying at the Hilton. Was planning to use the P.O. Can I really just walk into the lobby of the Fontana Resort, pick up my mail drop, and walk out?

mrcoffeect
12-23-2012, 18:42
i was staying at the hotel for one night split the cost of the room with someone. But if i recall they didn't require that i was. staying at the hotel was a last minute idea. stayed at the hotel one night then stayed at the shelter the next , just took an extra day to do laundry rest bit and just get my act together before i started the smokys. oh yea took advantage of a hot shower two days in a row:)

swjohnsey
12-23-2012, 18:54
Can you mail drop to a motel that you are not staying at? I am planning a mail drop in Fontana but plan on staying at the Hilton. Was planning to use the P.O. Can I really just walk into the lobby of the Fontana Resort, pick up my mail drop, and walk out?

Depends. Some motels charge for non-guest mail drops, some don't accept 'em. Call ahead or check the trail guide. Fontana is one place I wouldn't get a mail drop. The store, post office, laundry and lodge are all right there together. The store is well stocked, friendly and not that expensive. The Hilton is not within walking distance so you will need to hitch or pay five bucks for the shuttle no matter which way you go. The lodge has a good breakfast.

Aquonehostel
12-23-2012, 20:06
You can mail drop to Aquone Hostel: www.aquonecabins.com/at.html Please no hassle you do not have to stay at the hostel and there is no charge, call ahead and I will try and get the box to the trail head for you when picking up or dropping off other hikers, we will work something out, enjoy your hike Wayah, Burningtown, Telico Gaps (Nantahala NC)

Wiggy 2010

mrcoffeect
12-27-2012, 10:59
Depends. Some motels charge for non-guest mail drops, some don't accept 'em. Call ahead or check the trail guide. Fontana is one place I wouldn't get a mail drop. The store, post office, laundry and lodge are all right there together. The store is well stocked, friendly and not that expensive. The Hilton is not within walking distance so you will need to hitch or pay five bucks for the shuttle no matter which way you go. The lodge has a good breakfast. I must disagree with both of those statments . the grocery store in franklin had a much better selection than the general store a fontana, and way better prices. And the distance from the shelter to the resort village is less than two miles i would say that is within walking distance

turtle fast
12-27-2012, 11:10
Fontana village also has a shuttle for a few dollars that picks u up and takes you from the marina to the village. If you are looking for good advice on where to send mail drops, then I suggest reading Baltimore Jacks article on resupply here in the information forum. I have found it to be the best article on resupply anywhere and you would do yourself a disservice by not reading it. Some argue about some places high prices, but what many forget is that once you add your postage you easily spend more. It does make sense to send mail drops in places where places have little in way of resupply or you have specific dietary needs.

mrcoffeect
12-27-2012, 12:22
I was quite lucky this year when I was at the post office in franklin. I had done all my grocery shopping the night before,and broken down all the food in to zip locks to make every thing as small and light as possible. The next day while at the post office, I was methodically packing my goodies into one of those flat rate (if it fits it ships) boxes. As I am putting the last item into the box and closing it I start to hear applause. It turns out this young lady and her son have been watching this whole process. Then she asked what i was doing. I explained that i was hiking the trail and that i was mailing supplys ahead to myself where the choices weren't so good. W.e talked for a minute or so , then i when back to adressing and taping up my box. And she went to the counter to conduct her business. just as i was about to turn around to got to the counter, the young lady placed a sixteen dollar receipt for my shipping down on my box and said "I wish you well on you journey" Other than being able to say thank you, I was speachless. That has to be the best trail magic that i have ever been blessed to receive, from one of the brightest angels on the planet.

turtle fast
12-27-2012, 12:30
Awesome trail magic story!

Sly
12-27-2012, 12:51
The PO hours are limited but Bear Mountain is a good drop.

Shellie in VA
01-23-2013, 03:08
The Linden Post Office is about one mile off of the trail in Virginia. They treat hikers well and I've seen hikers charging phones there. There's also a produce place (The Giving Tree) across the street that welcomes hikers and always has cold drinks, snacks and great produce. Hope this helps!
Shellie
A local

Shellie in VA
01-23-2013, 03:10
Thanks for the great idea for a novice trail angel.

Terry7
01-23-2013, 09:10
The NOC is a good place for a mail drop.

max patch
01-23-2013, 11:45
Mail drops are very convenient, everything you need, one box, one stop

Disagree. I used mail drops and won't next time around. You still have to go to the store for bread, cheese, butter, and other perishable items.

swjohnsey
01-23-2013, 19:48
I seldom carried any perishable items.

ever4ward
02-01-2013, 18:17
Mail drops are very convenient, everything you need, one box, one stop. Also there are things that are often hard to get in small/convenience stores. Sometimes you need to buy large quanities, soap and TP come to mind.

Thanks for this post SW! So many posts and blogs discourage mail drops. We are happy vegans and my wife eats gluten free. We have hiked several short sections of the AT and food options for us are very limited and we love good food. I am almost finished packing up our mail drop boxes and I think we will be very happy with the variety and enjoyability of our rations. Only 2 drops are off the trail more than 2 miles meaning we should be able to get to our drop and still hike 10-15 miles of trail. Love this forum and the good advise found on it!