PDA

View Full Version : No cook food

rainmaker
12-14-2012, 23:38
I am planning to take my two oldest grandsons, 9 and 11, on a backpacking trip from Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap next June. Though they have been camping and dayhiking with me for several years, this will be their first real backpacking trip. The oldest boy will eat what I eat, Sides, mashed potatoes, grits, etc.. regular backpacking fare. The youngest boy is a problem. Though he is very atheletic and loves to hike, his dietary habits are horrible. The word picky eater doesn't begin to describe him. Forget all the wonderful foods we backpackers eat, he won't touch them. At home he survives off hotdogs and chicken tenders. His mom tells me that he will eat jerky, nuts, and dried fruits along with the usual cookies, chips and other snack foods. Have any of you hiked with a child with similar eating habits and how did you deal with it?

BTW, if Lone Wolf sees this post, these are same two boys you met last June on a shuttle to Whitetop. Remember the countdown, 45, 44, 43...

garlic08
12-15-2012, 08:59
Actually, the list of jerky, nuts, dried fruit, cookies, chips doesn't sound too bad. He'll probably eat tortillas with cheese or peanut butter. Snickers bars are a sure thing. How about cold cereal and powdered milk. It's probably as good as or better than Liptons, mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, grits, etc. What kid won't eat burgers and fries in town? If he gets hungry enough, he might get less picky. It's probably not a long enough hike to suffer from malnutrition from lack of fresh fruit and veg. I'm just guessing here, never done that. I've never seen a hungry boy with picky eating habits.

Starchild
12-15-2012, 09:57
Hotdogs can be used backpacking though you want to eat that first, if you can get him to eat vienna sausages which are hotdog like that would be something for a few days in except for negative of the weight of the can+liquid. This along with the jerky and other foods you listed seem OK as they seem to be a good trail choice anyway.

Wise Old Owl
12-15-2012, 11:18
No cook food, or unprocessed food has the least caloric value... I will let the others wade this out for you. but as a parent where my son's eating was nothing short of a Pita.... take a peak at this...

Children's nutrition: 10 tips for picky eaters

Children's nutrition doesn't have to be frustrating. Consider these strategies to avoid power struggles and help the picky eater in your family eat a balanced diet.

Link http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/childrens-health/HQ01107

Food for backpacking kids

Link http://www.boyscouttrail.com/boy-scouts/boy-scout-recipes.asp

bamboo bob
12-15-2012, 12:37
Like any hiker he'll be pretty hungry when meal time happens. Why enable his pickiness? Just give him what you cook.

Wise Old Owl
12-15-2012, 12:44
BB has a point, as kids, our parents would not deal with it - with two brothers - if there was any thing left on the serving plate it was gone... if we didn't eat it - it would be there tommorrow same time, different day... I grew up hearing "this is not a resturant" "Sprouts are good for you" etc. The choice was usually between which vegetable we hated least. And there was always two vegetables at dinner - rare that we ever had leftovers.

hikerhobs
12-15-2012, 13:19
Take him to the grocery store,let him pick out what he wants within reason. or you make out the menu,When you get hungray enough you pretty much eat whats there. ;)

Feral Bill
12-15-2012, 13:37
If you want to instill a love of backpacking, this is not the time to try correcting his picky eating. Once he's hooked, you can slam him with the eat it or go hungry message.

zelph
12-15-2012, 13:49
Take the box of twinkies out of the frezzer. You know, the ones that you were saving for a special occasion. That will make you soooooo special;) Let the picky eater have first one out of the box.:banana