PDA

View Full Version : Tent sites

JetLag
12-16-2012, 11:25
Am planning a 25 Mar'13 NOBO launch and am reading the chatter about over-crowded shelters in this time frame. Am fine with solo tenting but was thinking I might prefer a tent site in the shelter areas for water, table, facilities, etc. Curious: are there tent areas at all or most of the shelters; are these over-crowded, as well; is there some sort of protocol or etiquette for claiming tent sites (i.e., do folks claim they are saving spots for their buddies coming along later)?? Or should I just plan on moving to another location? Any insight would be appreciated.

bigcranky
12-16-2012, 11:43
There are usually plenty of tent sites near the shelters, especially early on in Georgia. Tenting near the shelters is often a good idea -- there is almost always good water, and a picnic table at the shelter, and company of fellow hikers. Tenting makes sense because the shelters are usually quite crowded, especially in bad weather. That makes them noisy, smelly, and generally not a place to get much actual, you know, sleep.

I wouldn't worry a lot about finding tent spots. There are usually enough. Within a couple of weeks, the trail gets a lot less crowded.

Happy trails!

Frog
12-16-2012, 11:56
NOBO will be crowded and some of areas have designated tent sites around the shelters. Camp early and you will not have a problem finding a site. My general rule is to make camp around 3 PM OR tote enough water and hope to find a place to sleep just off the trail. I have not done all the trail but have done all from Ga to middle of Va. threw out many years of going and most of the time you can find other places to camp. I personally don't care for the shelters too much noise and way too many people some times. My first question to any one that i pass that"s going south is where is the next WATER SOURCE. You can't always expect to find water close to a camp site either. Most shelters do have tenting areas but the shelter areas are way over used.

x

Del Q
12-16-2012, 13:10
I enjoy hiking until near-dark, keep an eye on my water supply, do not cook anymore so all I need is water to drink and prepare breakfast with (typically Caranation instant)...............so finding a spot to tent is a daily opportunity.

Sometimes near shelters buy typcally a nice soft spot in the woods or a field.

Ton's of amazing tenting spots, have had some amazing nights, views, etc!

G-FOURce
12-16-2012, 13:16
is it permissable to tent camp anywhere along the trail or are you obligated to camp only at shelters and designated sites?

brian039
12-16-2012, 13:25
is it permissable to tent camp anywhere along the trail or are you obligated to camp only at shelters and designated sites?

You can camp most anywhere, there are a few exceptions but something like 90-95% of the trail you can camp where you want to.

Slo-go'en
12-16-2012, 14:49

It's not so much a question of is it permissable but is it practical or even possible? There are sections of trail where you are required to camp only at designated sites, but there aren't all that many of them. Most of the time it just isn't very practical due to the terrain. Dense woods, rocks, tree limbs and other debree on the ground, the slope of the land all eliminate much of the area near the trail from camping. Pretty much all the good camping spots which can be found near the trail have been found and are pretty obvious. Finding your own "virgin" camping spot takes a good eye and some work.

During the mid March to mid April prime, every shelter will have a tent city around it up to about the NOC. The last time I did that section in the spring I had to use my tent every night for two weeks, pretty much until I got to the Smokies. After the Smokies, even if there was room in the shelter, I would often opt to use my tent anyway out of habit or if a known chronic snorer showed up.

Every year there will be a group of shelter hogs, who just go shelter to shelter. They learn to get up fairly early so they can be the first ones to the next shelter and set up inside. These people will often "reserve" a spot for thier friends, although you can say "tough, it's first come, first served and I'm here first". But it usually isn't worth the fight - unless its raining out!

Those that got up a little later or hike a little slower get to the next shelter after it's already full but get to pick the prime tent sites. Those who are doing bigger miles by going every other shelter get there late and have to set up at less desirable sites, but usually there is enough room for everyone.

aficion
12-16-2012, 14:59
A good rule of thumb if you actually enjoy being outdoors in all sorts of weather, is to plan to camp, in your tarp, tent, or hammock, near any water source that is a mile or so away from a shelter. Smokeys and Whites have different rules which have been thoroughly discussed elsewhere on this amazing site. It is possible to through hike and never spend a night in a hotel, hostel, house, car, or shelter. You got to want it bad, but it can be done.

G-FOURce
12-16-2012, 15:01
...During the mid March to mid April prime, every shelter will have a tent city around it up to about the NOC. The last time I did that section in the spring I had to use my tent every night for two weeks, pretty much until I got to the Smokies. After the Smokies, even if there was room in the shelter, I would often opt to use my tent anyway out of habit or if a known chronic snorer showed up...

so, if we're doing TN and VA in early/mid March then we should be just a little ahead of the NOBO crowd? we really dont mind tent camping if the shelters are crowded or full. in fact, we'd actually prefer a bit more solitude.

ChuckBrown
12-16-2012, 15:19
Massachusetts is designated campsites only, on my GA to ME hike I tented all but three times. In Shenandoah the trail runner made us stay in shelter, at Peru peak it was raining so hard I opted for shelter and somewhere in Maine I had shelter to my self, so I slept there .

Old Hiker
12-16-2012, 15:52
Got to Thomas Knob shelter in 2012 - only was worried a couple of times about finding a tent site. I always started looking about 30-45 minutes before the sun was down. I try to find a tree to hang my bear bag while the sun is up>! The few times I was getting worried,as the sun was almost to the horizon, a campsite would always appear. I HATE setting up camp after dark, especially when I have to try and FIND a site after dark.

I only used the shelters in the Smokies, per regulation.

I camped near a shelter only a few times. I usually cameled up with water about 1700 or so so I had water at whatever campsite I came across at or about 1800-1900, just in case there wasn't water nearby.

Slo-go'en
12-17-2012, 00:15
so, if we're doing TN and VA in early/mid March then we should be just a little ahead of the NOBO crowd? we really dont mind tent camping if the shelters are crowded or full. in fact, we'd actually prefer a bit more solitude.

Being in TN/VA that early you will be pretty much alone, even at shelters.

Drybones
12-17-2012, 09:42

I started 3/12 and there were lots of people the first week, thinned out after that. I'm guessing 50% drop out after the first week, another 15% after 2-3 weeks, and the other 10% that dont make it fall by the way side all the way to ME as injuries force them off trail.

q-tip
12-17-2012, 17:30
Start hiking early in the morning if you can. I usually got to the shelters by 1:30-3:00. Had lots of choices where I set up.....

Tinker
12-17-2012, 17:45
I've often thought of shelters as a great place to pick up ticks - think of it - more mice per square foot than anywhere else on the trail. Deer ticks can (and do - often) live on white-footed (aka shelter) mice. When they (the ticks) decide to go for a walk, where do you think they go? Why, the shelter floor, walls, and under the shelter.

Unless you want to spray the inside of every shelter with permethrin before using it - expensive - and it might get you a black eye ;), you can limit your exposure to ticks while you're sleeping (that's when you're most vulnerable) by sleeping in your tent and using your permethrin on the inside of the tent and on your sleeping gear.

Even better - use a hammock - make those little eight-legged critters work for a meal :D.

To answer the question better (and this is not a typical question that needs to be asked of thru-hikers only) -

Stop at a shelter and cook your dinner, eat at the table and talk to other hikers, then set up nearby (you might actually want to do this first, to save the spot), or pack up after eating and loading up on water, hike on a bit,

and camp off the trail. Many times a shelter will be in a valley, near a stream, so you'll have few views. Often you can find a place to camp with a great view not far from a shelter and a little higher in elevation.

Camping away from established shelters and campsites is prohibited in some states and high usage areas.

xokie
12-17-2012, 18:19
Massachusetts is designated campsites only, on my GA to ME hike I tented all but three times. In Shenandoah the trail runner made us stay in shelter, at Peru peak it was raining so hard I opted for shelter and somewhere in Maine I had shelter to my self, so I slept there .
I've not heard of this rule in MA and have pretty much camped where I wanted along the AT in MA without incident or complaint. There are many places along the trail where undesignated campsites are obvious. The only "No Camping" signI've seen in MA is a beautiful little spot on the far side of Goose pond.

ChuckBrown
12-17-2012, 18:54
I didnt know either, until i volunteered as a maintainer http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/western/appl.htm or
http://amcberkshire.org/at-hiking

[LIST]
[FONT=Verdana]Camping: Backpacker camping is permitted only at designated shared sites, no fee required. Two-night maximum stay at same campsite. Limit up to 12 people per group.

G-FOURce
12-17-2012, 18:55
I started 3/12 and there were lots of people the first week, thinned out after that. I'm guessing 50% drop out after the first week, another 15% after 2-3 weeks, and the other 10% that dont make it fall by the way side all the way to ME as injuries force them off trail.

do you mean to say that you started at Springer on 3/12 or somewhere in TN or VA on 3/12?

swjohnsey
12-17-2012, 21:50
No real problem tenting 'til New Hampshire.