PDA

View Full Version : Missing Hiker Alert-pct

TOW
05-26-2005, 11:29
Anyone Know A Hiker That Went By The Trail Name "seabreeze?" His Real Name Is John Donovan. I Have Been Getting Daily Reports For Three Days That He Is Missing From The Pct. Apparently He Finished The At Last Year After Section Hiking It For Years....
Wanderer

Pencil Pusher
05-26-2005, 12:45
Anyone Know A Hiker That Went By The Trail Name "seabreeze?" His Real Name Is John Donovan. I Have Been Getting Daily Reports For Three Days That He Is Missing From The Pct. Apparently He Finished The At Last Year After Section Hiking It For Years....
Wanderer
Wow, Isn't It A Bit Cumbersome To Capitalize Each Word In A Sentence? This Makes Three Threads On The Same Topic. Each One A Little Odder Than The Other.

Frosty
05-26-2005, 14:20
This Makes Three Threads On The Same Topic. Alas, it is four.

Or Should I Say, Alas, It Is Four.

TOW
05-26-2005, 14:32
i don't know, some of us are slower than others I guess. gives you folks something to talk about............wanderer

MOWGLI
05-26-2005, 14:40
i don't know, some of us are slower than others I guess.

Do you think it has anything to do with being from Kansas? Aren't they still teaching that the world is flat in the Kansas public school system?

TOW
05-26-2005, 14:42
It has nothing to do with the schools subject the geography of kansas, i'm self made i guess............wanderer
Do you think it has anything to do with being from Kansas? Aren't they still teaching that the world is flat in the Kansas public school system?

TOW
05-26-2005, 16:31
i had left the caps lock on when i typed this by the way........

by the way what's so odd about the post? a hiker who use to section hike on the AT is missing off of the PCT.

figured that somebody here might have knew him and would be concerned........wanderer
Wow, Isn't It A Bit Cumbersome To Capitalize Each Word In A Sentence? This Makes Three Threads On The Same Topic. Each One A Little Odder Than The Other.

Pencil Pusher
05-26-2005, 17:11

by the way what's so odd about the post?
BECAUSE THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LEAVE THE CAPS LOCK ON.

Stoker53
05-26-2005, 17:41

by the way what's so odd about the post? a hiker who use to section hike on the AT is missing off of the PCT.

figured that somebody here might have knew him and would be concerned........wanderer

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Hope they find him alive and unhurt. BTW...I can't type/spell for **** either so don't let the grammer/puncuation police give you a hard time. They prolly walk around with red pens in their pockets just in case they see errors at work.:p

digger51
05-26-2005, 23:04
Watch out wanderer, someone might criticize yoiu for saying"might have knew" instead of " might have known". But thanks for the update on Seabreeze. If I ever go missing I hope someone shows your concern.

TOW
05-27-2005, 08:15
thats what i meant to happen, but it didn't post that way pal...........
BECAUSE THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LEAVE THE CAPS LOCK ON.

TOW
05-27-2005, 08:17
that's an aMeRiCaN iDiOt for ya (how do ya like that one penci pusher?)

wanderer

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Hope they find him alive and unhurt. BTW...I can't type/spell for **** either so don't let the grammer/puncuation police give you a hard time. They prolly walk around with red pens in their pockets just in case they see errors at work.:p

Frosty
05-27-2005, 09:52
that's an aMeRiCaN iDiOt for ya (how do ya like that one penci pusher?)

wandererMind taking your private squabble off-line? Thanks

TOW
05-27-2005, 14:17
mind checking out another thread?
Mind taking your private squabble off-line? Thanks

Tramper Al
05-27-2005, 14:26
My goodness, this is the strangest series of threads about a missing hiker I have ever seen on a hiking BBS.

If someone is really missing on the PCT, then we here, including the original poster, are not doing him much good at all with this strange back and forth.

Is there anyone ELSE interested enough in this to actually locate a news report about this missing hiker and any ongoing search, including such things as the date and location of his hiking? Perhaps a new thread could start there and actually focus on this missing hiker and the search, if that's not too much to expect.

MOWGLI
05-27-2005, 14:57
Is there anyone ELSE interested enough in this to actually locate a news report about this missing hiker and any ongoing search, including such things as the date and location of his hiking? Perhaps a new thread could start there and actually focus on this missing hiker and the search, if that's not too much to expect.

Good point Al. There are apparently three threads already about this VERY serious topic. Since this is an AT discussion board, primarily visited by East Coast types, I don't know what we can do about this - short of taking this matter seriously.

dougmeredith
05-27-2005, 15:00
Oh, yeah, ANOTHER thread on this. Thanks. :)

Doug

Tramper Al
05-27-2005, 15:39
There are apparently three threads already about this VERY serious topic.
Yes, I am aware of this. All threads were started and have been continued by the same poster, and none of the threads seems serious at all. While the trail may be out west, the fellow in question comes from Petersburg VA, apparently.

I did find this
Town Cryer story (http://www.towncrier.com/)
indicating that a John Donovan has not been seen since May 2nd? There is a police phone number, encouraging calls with information. I realize it's not the New York Times, but it's all I could find.

Anyway, sorry to suggest another thread on this, I guess I was just hoping for one reasonable one to replace the other three. I hope some hiking community out there is thinking about where this guy might be, if the story is to be taken seriously.

mjwood0
05-27-2005, 16:29
I'm with you Tramper Al...

Seems a bit harsh for people to be skeptical that there is a missing hiker just because not everyone types perfectly or something...

I did a search regarding this and found the same thing you did. Not much info to go on and not many of us live out west. Hopefully, more news will surface and all will work out okay for the guy.

And to anyone who doesn't wish to take this seriously or wants to complain about multiple threads -- aren't three threads a small price to pay if someone has information?

Frosty
05-27-2005, 17:19
And to anyone who doesn't wish to take this seriously or wants to complain about multiple threads -- aren't three threads a small price to pay if someone has information?A bit melodramtic, no?

If it would save a life, a hundred threads would be okay with me. But just exactly what information do you sitting at home have about a guy lost in the mountains? I don't think the threads were posted for us to look out our windows and see if we see a guy stumbling around out there wearing tennis shoes and instep crampons. I don't think any one of us can help the guy. If we could, I doubt the number of threads dedicated would be the determining factor.

The four threads were posted for information. Even though it isn't the AT, all of us at one time or another have been lost, or so tired we wondered if we were going to make it out. We can sympathize, we can learn, we can live vicariously.

No one blasted anyone for starting four threads, but it would be remarkable if anyone here started four threads on ANY topic and no one noticed or commented.

But the posts were getting very personal, very insulting, and accomplishing nothing. That's why I asked that the insults be taken off line. Wanderer isn't receptive, and I will take his advice and view another thread.

And certainly, if you have any information about the lost hiker, post it. Four times if you want :)

TOW
05-27-2005, 21:02
I posted a website for the sherriffs dept that is in charge of the search, if I still have it , I will post it again.

I apologize for my behavior here but I am feeling like I am getting attacked for no reason just because someone does not believe me.

What? Does everyone here think that I am posting bogus on this? Get a grip man!

What do I have to gain by that?

Just because I capped the first post, this made someone suspicious and then a buddy or two of his joins in? At first I took it as a little ribbing, but it immediately turned into an attack and an accusation that I just might be lying about the whole thing or I am just making it up?

I have all the emails that have been sent to me from another person on another hiking site I use to belong to. All I am doing is passing along that a hiker has come up missing and I get slapped for that? Bull!

wanderer

My goodness, this is the strangest series of threads about a missing hiker I have ever seen on a hiking BBS.

If someone is really missing on the PCT, then we here, including the original poster, are not doing him much good at all with this strange back and forth.

TOW
05-27-2005, 21:07
hahahaha! my hats off to you there Frosty..........wanderer
A bit melodramtic, no?

If it would save a life, a hundred threads would be okay with me. But just exactly what information do you sitting at home have about a guy lost in the mountains? I don't think the threads were posted for us to look out our windows and see if we see a guy stumbling around out there wearing tennis shoes and instep crampons. I don't think any one of us can help the guy. If we could, I doubt the number of threads dedicated would be the determining factor.

The four threads were posted for information. Even though it isn't the AT, all of us at one time or another have been lost, or so tired we wondered if we were going to make it out. We can sympathize, we can learn, we can live vicariously.

No one blasted anyone for starting four threads, but it would be remarkable if anyone here started four threads on ANY topic and no one noticed or commented.

But the posts were getting very personal, very insulting, and accomplishing nothing. That's why I asked that the insults be taken off line. Wanderer isn't receptive, and I will take his advice and view another thread.

And certainly, if you have any information about the lost hiker, post it. Four times if you want :)

Ridge
06-04-2006, 23:47
http://www.thedesertsun.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060604/UPDATE/606040367

TOW
06-05-2006, 17:03
thankyou ridge.........

TOW
06-26-2006, 08:46
Here is an notification that I recieved from one of John's good friends, Karen Koontz.
.................................................. .................................
Grief and relief are the operative emotions these days for most everyone.

Here is John's obituary - appeared in the Richmond Times Dispatch yesterday:

Donovan, John Joseph
John Joseph Donovan, 60, of Petersburg, Va., died in May 2005, while hiking the Pacific Crest Trail in Southern California. His remains were recovered June 4, 2006. John was an avid hiker, an active member of the Old Dominion and Tidewater Appalachian Trail Clubs and had just retired from 20 years as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker with Central State Hospital. John served 15 years in the United States Navy and earned B.S. and M.S. degrees in social work at Norfolk State University. He was preceded in death by his mother, Helen F. Donovan; and is survived by his aunt, Catherine F. Barlow; Catherine's five children, and many friends and co-workers. John had a deep faith, a caring heart and will be remembered for his generous laughter. A memorial service and interment will be July 11, 3 p.m., at the Virginia Veterans Cemetery in Amelia, Va. John's friends and family request memorial donations be made to the Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit, 43950 Acacia St., Hemet, Calif. 92544 or to Little Sisters of the Poor, 1503 Michael Rd., Richmond, Va. 23239.

http://www.legacy.com/TimesDispatch/DeathNotices.asp?Page=SearchResults

TOW
06-26-2006, 08:50
the link doesn't go directly to John's obit, you will just have to do a search....