PDA

View Full Version : Esbit Users

zelph
12-16-2012, 22:06
Do women use solid fuel(Esbit) more than men? What have you seen on the trails?

Is it the fuel of the future? Will it surpass alcohol?

10-K
12-16-2012, 23:07
Beats me...

As a water boiler in the winter esbit is all I've used since 2010. Before that canister stoves. I've tried alcohol stoves but honestly don't like to carry liquid fuel in a separate container that could possibly spill.

Because if it can be spilled, I will spill it.

bubonicplay
12-17-2012, 03:17
Esbit is easier

daddytwosticks
12-17-2012, 08:15
Maybe you should put this question in the Women's forum? :)

TheYoungOne
12-17-2012, 15:57
I have a stove and some cubes. The only thing I hate about esbit it that it makes you pack, and whatever you carry it in smell like dead fish.

hikerhobs
12-17-2012, 16:44
I carry my esbit fuels in a plastic container it helps with the dead fish smell.

SouthMark
12-17-2012, 16:50
I don't know that it smells any worse than hiker's stink. :-)

Tinker
12-17-2012, 17:34
Do women use solid fuel(Esbit) more than men? What have you seen on the trails?

Is it the fuel of the future? Will it surpass alcohol?

I haven't met a woman on the AT who was using Esbit.

It's not likely that it will be the fuel of the future because of its expense and the fact that it is not as readily available as alcohol, cannisters, and "white gas" (Coleman fuel and similar).

I know you know a lot about stoves, Zelph, but maybe you haven't been paying close attention to the types of food most women appreciate. It usually has a lot more complexity than the "same old, same old" body fuel that I consume on a regular basis.

Guys know that women like to be taken to a fancy dinner.

Make a fancy dinner on an Esbit and I will eat it (maybe I should rephrase that :-?).

Even for hikers like me who regard food as fuel (especially since I've found out that there are a number of things that I can no longer eat or have to control the portions so that all hell doesn't break out in my body), a fancy meal once in a while is greatly appreciated.

The way to a woman's heart is through her stomach (by way of the taste buds). I'm convinced that a woman made up the original statement that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. ;)

So - fancy food - cannister or liquid fuel stove (or well regulated wood stove) - not Esbit. Esbit is guy stuff (now that I've said that I know I'll be forced to retract it :D).

zelph
12-17-2012, 23:04
My question was a long shot.

I was thinking about "StarLyte" (hug a trail volunteer) She's a coffee lover big time. She advocated using Esbit. Here is a quote from a thread back a few years: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?21180-Stoves&p=313608&highlight=#post313608

I preach esbit and have been using one for 20 years. I have used alcohol as well. It is a hard decision between the two.
The only issue with the esbit is you can't reach a high boil. This means having to use a pot cozy. I am able to achieve a simmering boil using my 1-1/2 cup percolator burning 1 to 2 tabs (depends on the weather).
The good thing with the esbit is that you can carefully light one in your tent if you're chilled. The fumes are non-toxic. Obviously the best thing about the esbit is the weight and price. You really can't beat it.
Outwest last year I used Heet in my alcohol stove. I like the way you can pour it easily from the bottle.

Long story short, having that knowledge of StarLyte advocating/preaching esbit might have had a lasting impression on many women.

I was impressed by her likes and dislikes. I named a stove after her;)

So - fancy food - cannister or liquid fuel stove (or well regulated wood stove) - not Esbit. Esbit is guy stuff (now that I've said that I know I'll be forced to retract it ).

You might have to retract that.:p